Minimap Problem

Bugs that are actually features.
Arik1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Minimap Problem

Post by Arik1 »

Note: This can also be considered intended. However, it could also be a bug. That's why I posted it here. It would be nice if the expected result is what happened over the real result.

Bug:
The minimap doesn't load any more chunks past the map width and height set at the beginning of creating a map.
Expected Result:
The map width and height change when saving a map so that the minimap will load chunks outside of the settings set at the beginning of creating a map.
Recreation:
- Go to the map editor and make a new map
- Set the map height and width to something low (ex: 10)
- Make something outside of the chunks loaded within that area (note that the chunks go farther than the black tiles most of the time)
If done correctly, the minimap will not extend far enough to see the tiles you've created.

I also have a question. Is it possible to change the map width and height after creating a map? It would be nice if I could do it manually at least.
Attachments
Minimap Problem.zip
(359.57 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Minimap Problem

Post by searker »

Why should the map show anything outside of those constraints?
If you want a theoretically infinite map, just leave both options empty when creating a map. If so, the Minimap will show new chunks.

Arik1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arik1 »

searker wrote:Why should the map show anything outside of those constraints?
If you want a theoretically infinite map, just leave both options empty when creating a map. If so, the Minimap will show new chunks.
If you add tiles outside of the map width and height, the map should show those tiles. Also, this is more about scenarios as opposed to maps. I'm sorry I didn't specifically say when making a scenario, that's my fault. For example, if you originally think your scenario is going to be 128 by 128 tiles, but you go further than that, the tiles added wont show up on the minimap.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Arik1 wrote:
searker wrote:Why should the map show anything outside of those constraints?
If you add tiles outside of the map width and height, the map should show those tiles. Also, this is more about scenarios as opposed to maps. I'm sorry I didn't specifically say when making a scenario, that's my fault. For example, if you originally think your scenario is going to be 128 by 128 tiles, but you go further than that, the tiles added wont show up on the minimap.
That's by design: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21507&p=135178
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”