Severe screen flashing due to out of energy

Bugs that are actually features.
Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Severe screen flashing due to out of energy

Post by Zaflis »

I'm not sure where this belongs, to suggestions or bug reports. I don't have much of details to give you. Here is 1 example on a video https://youtu.be/bPTm5-wtrZQ?t=1715 at somewhere around 28:40 his screen pixelizes in a bad way, and he seems to complain about his graphics bugs in the voice some point. And i know it's old video, i myself had a hard freeze of whole Windows 10 because of what i think was laser turrets making the power levels dip to 0. That without any accumulators built yet at the point. And in the video also it was clear that the lasers were causing his power to drop 0.

This was in the current official steam release 0.12.29, and i haven't seen it since. Actually i'm afraid to even try to reproduce it, it can damage the hardware. When i hit reset to reboot Windows and start game again the GPU was in state that the game couldn't even be launched yet. Some error was reported i think about unable to find display device or something. I waited a few minutes and it worked then.

What i'm saying is that the severity of this problem is real, and not something anyone purposefully wants to reproduce. We should have some visual dampening done with the energyloss, whatever the case. Fade the color change or something between several frames. Maybe it's the lamps and other machines that produce light?

If it helps, using Radeon R9 270X with 2G video memory.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Severe screen flashing due to out of energy

Post by daniel34 »

Image at 28m45s
Not sure what's going on there, but this is not what power failure looks like.
In fact, he had power before that (accus were loading) and a few seconds after (as seen on consumption graph on the right).
I also don't see the screen flashing, just a few frames with some artifacts.
Factorio isn't able to damage your hardware, and if it would be it wouldn't be tied to energy loss / energy consumption of some machines.
Zaflis wrote:When i hit reset to reboot Windows and start game again the GPU was in state that the game couldn't even be launched yet. Some error was reported i think about unable to find display device or something. I waited a few minutes and it worked then.
The problem seems to be with your system, not with Factorio.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

1) Yes i realized that aswell. The pixelized screen is what i think an after-effect from the power outage, he didn't have biter alarm on during the flash. I had this too, until it froze the system. There can be multiple flashes like that, it's like something broke in graphics earlier on. Some might think a little of them is harmless. I always built enough accumulators and power gen after realizing the bug and never encountered it again though.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's not a Factorio bug - that's hardware failure on your part (or whoever made the video).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Surely it's something to do with Factorio? It's never happened with other game or software, and it's only during specific events within Factorio. Normally even endgame base stays stable for as long as i care to keep game open, 10+ hours straight. As far as i understand hardware problems, they would show themselves elsewhere too.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Zaflis wrote:Surely it's something to do with Factorio? It's never happened with other game or software, and it's only during specific events within Factorio. Normally even endgame base stays stable for as long as i care to keep game open, 10+ hours straight. As far as i understand hardware problems, they would show themselves elsewhere too.
That looks like a GPU defect or at least a heat issue, you should be able to reproduce it using tools like Furmark.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Wow, i've never had the fans go that loud... But i ran furmark for 4 minutes and it settled to 75 C with 100% gpu utilization. CPU was even cooler than that, and no artifacts.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Then out of the blue 1 day GPU decided to stop working completely while i wasn't even playing anything. I guess it was a hardware issue then, everything's back up and running though on new gpu.

Return to “Not a bug”