[0.12.20]Fog of war visibility / screen size

Bugs that are actually features.
cncr04s
Inserter
Inserter

[0.12.20]Fog of war visibility / screen size

Post by cncr04s »

Related to the "Fog of war" Is what I believe it is called. So when you are walking you explore the map. I notice that it explores the map in a square, however having a 16:9 monitor, I can actually see (When zoomed out) farther on the left and right edges of the ground map, than the farthest edge of the exploration on the overview or mini map. The exploration is completed in chunks, and at the point where you are walking and it makes a tile marked as explored, is shorter than what I can actually see walking around. It's correct for the top portion of the exploration though.

You can see this behavior in this image, I can see the lake at the left, but it's not explored yet.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.20]Fog of war visibility / screen size

Post by kovarex »

You can see little bit farther then the map is explored, and it makes sense. The zooming is done in a way, that it restricts the bigger dimension of the screen.

cncr04s
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cncr04s »

I don't think you get what I mean. The map never marks the furthest portion of the ground you ever see as explored unless you get within a certain range, but by then you are already a tile or more further. It's basically exploring in a square, but the monitor size lets you see in a rectangle.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, the exploration limits are a square, but with rectangular screen, it is limited.

In other words, the visible distance is limited by the bigger screen axis.

cncr04s
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cncr04s »

I'm also trying to say that in my opinion, the exploration area should some what match the ratio of the screen. In my case, more rectangle.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it should be made clear in the game, that the fog of war works like the radar, which works on chunks, which are quadratic.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Not a bug”