Train going in loop

Bugs that are actually features.
chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train going in loop

Post by chris13524 »

I was doing some stuff with rail signals and got in a train and hit a station to go to and the train is now going in a loop while occasionally letting loose on the gas. I attached the map and I am riding in the train. After a couple of seconds, another train enters the "area" and stops the loop. You might be able to stop that train in time to continue seeing the loop though.

Update:
Whenever one train is in the right section of my base, the other train is going in circles on the left.
Attachments
Chris3.zip
(7.02 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by chris13524 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train going in loop

Post by ssilk »

This is not a bug. I looked in the map and what I see is this:
Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 19.26.14.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 19.26.14.png (438.7 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
To fix this you need to place some more signals on the way to the right. On the lower rail to the right. The waiting train should not block the junction. Otherwise you have a deadlock. You need minimum 2 signals to solve this.

The train operates on a simple rule: If the next signal is red AND there is another route, which leads to the target (which is in this case so) then try this route. On the other route is then also a red signal and the pathfinding finds the first route. And so on.

To Kovarex: I would leave it open, cause I think this can be made much better, with a simple check: Is the block AFTER the first red signal is part of the alternative route? Then throw this solution away and wait.

Btw. nice base, but I would say you found out yourself, why it is a bad idea to transport much items with bots over long distances (3181 bots <giggle> )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Thank you. I am too lazy to set up train stations for some of the mining operations so I end up getting a lot of lag from robots... When in doubt, more robots!

It seems sort of a bad thing with the train loop, if one accidentally sets up the train wrong and loops happen, the train could run out of fuel in the middle of no ware and biters could eat it. Same thing with the robots, they used to die if they ran out of power, now they just get really slow. I am not sure how to fix it, even from you explanation. I plan to start a new base when 0.12 comes out with the new train stops, I might just add a few random signs in this base as a "work around".

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Again: that is not a bug. Not even a problem. :)

I think this is just cause of laziness (sorry if this sounds hard, but it's true): If you set up a proper railway, you don't need that many bots over long distances (which cannot be eaten then, logically) and the trains rides without problems, because you placed signals at the right points.

If not: well, this is part of the game. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Not a bug”