Editor mode movement speed slow

Bugs that are actually features.
DEFENESTRATOR-666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Editor mode movement speed slow

Post by DEFENESTRATOR-666 »

Hello,
The editor mode usually lets you move around at high speeds, however on this save mine has suddenly slowed down to a crawl. The speed increases slighly if I zoom out, but it is still quite slow, about 10% of the original speed. I originally thought this to be a problem with Space Exploration mod, there is a view mode in that that seems to be based of the editor speed (in fact I initially reported the bug on the mod discord). Someone there told me that it might be factorio itself acting up, they mentioned it might have to do with "player controller" speeds.
I don't know what caused it to slow down in this case. A save from 4 hours ago doesn't exhibit problem but I would rather not roll back if possible. Is there some console command I can throw in to reset editor movement speed? I apologise if this seems like a mod-related issue, the people over at the mod discord couldn't really figure out what it was either and pointed me in this direction.

Do let me know if I should upload a log or anything like that.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Editor mode movement speed slow

Post by boskid »

Log file and a save file would help.

Xoriun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xoriun »

Did you change the game speed though the editor GUI? On really high speed (*32 and *64), you move significantly slower, just like you described.

DEFENESTRATOR-666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Xoriun wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 am
Did you change the game speed though the editor GUI? On really high speed (*32 and *64), you move significantly slower, just like you described.
Just tried this, it wasn't the problem. Game runs at 16x which is the standard I believe? I never touched that panel.
boskid wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 am
Log file and a save file would help.
Log - https://pastebin.com/FVPEU2hu
Save - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dIGDm5 ... sp=sharing
Let me know if you can't access the save, pretty sure I did the permissions right though.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

DEFENESTRATOR-666 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:29 pm
Just tried this, it wasn't the problem. Game runs at 16x which is the standard I believe? I never touched that panel.
1x is the standard. 16x is 16 times faster than the standard.

The editor movement speed works identically to the god controller movement speed in that: it expects to move X tiles per second and when the game can't keep up with the expected movement speed it ends up moving slower than that. There's no computer in the world that can run your save at 16x: Set it back to 1x (normal) and it will all work as you want.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DEFENESTRATOR-666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:55 pm
DEFENESTRATOR-666 wrote:
1x is the standard. 16x is 16 times faster than the standard.

The editor movement speed works identically to the god controller movement speed in that: it expects to move X tiles per second and when the game can't keep up with the expected movement speed it ends up moving slower than that. There's no computer in the world that can run your save at 16x: Set it back to 1x (normal) and it will all work as you want.
Pffft. That was actually the problem! Clicked the button back a few times and it went to "normal". Thanks so much, sorry for the false report then.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

DEFENESTRATOR-666 wrote:
I never touched that panel.
Good that you got it figured out, but just so you know, there are hotkeys for changing the speed. You may have accidentally pressed one of these even if you’re sure you never did it in the panel.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:18 am
DEFENESTRATOR-666 wrote:
Good that you got it figured out, but just so you know, there are hotkeys for changing the speed. You may have accidentally pressed one of these even if you’re sure you never did it in the panel.
True, although they only work while in the editor.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DEFENESTRATOR-666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:18 am
DEFENESTRATOR-666 wrote:
That was probably what happened in the first place, thought for what reason or how I ended up pressing the hotkey I don't know.
Anyways I learned something new today, it'll make prototyping yellow belt-tier stuff a bit faster if I just bump up the speed.

Thanks to everyone in the thread with the help!

Return to “Not a bug”