[1.1.53] Copy selection might not include entities which should be selected due to the resulting bounding box

Bugs that are actually features.
Progman
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.53] Copy selection might not include entities which should be selected due to the resulting bounding box

Post by Progman »

When you select entities for copying it might be possible that entities are not selected inside the resulting bounding box of the selected items. This happens with entities which are slightly smaller like inserters. This happens when you do a "sloppy" selection of entities, but expected that you have selected all the entities based on the bounding box of the selected entities.

Assume you do the following selection:
withInserter.png
withInserter.png (478.99 KiB) Viewed 897 times
As you see all the inserters are included in the selection. However, sometimes I barely miss the inserters when copying like in the following screenshot (check the long inserter at the bottom):
withoutInserters.png
withoutInserters.png (443.47 KiB) Viewed 897 times
With this exact selection I will not select the inserters, as I do not reach the hitboxes of the entities. But all the belts are selected. When I paste now my selection the inserters will be missing.

This selection is unexpected. When you draw a imaginary bounding box of the selected entities you have copied, you will get a rectangle around the four belts in the corners. Based on that you expect that everything "inside" is selected as well. However, it is weird/unexpected that the "outer most" entities are selected, but some entities which are fully "inside" are not.

I'm unsure if this is a bug or not and just my own fault in selecting the proper entities. Also, it is not clear which entities should be included and which not based on the bounding box and the copy selection. See the following example:
unclearSelection.png
unclearSelection.png (218.1 KiB) Viewed 897 times
The top and left inserter shouldn't be included in the selected as they are "clearly outside" the expected selection. The right inserter is included as the hitbox is inside the white rectangle, but what about the inserter at the bottom? Should the white rectangle selection respect the grid cells rather the entity hitboxes? In that case the top/left inserters are still not included in the selection, but the bottom/right inserters will be.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.53] Copy selection might not include entities which should be selected due to the resulting bounding box

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I’d have to say in my case, the first time I used the tool, it worked exactly the way I expected. I often use this to my advantage when copying parts of a setup and I want some items in a line of tiles, but not others.
Progman wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:20 pm
but what about the inserter at the bottom? Should the white rectangle selection respect the grid cells rather the entity hitboxes?
IMO, no.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.53] Copy selection might not include entities which should be selected due to the resulting bounding box

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however nothing here is a bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”