Performance: power switches and small electric networks

Bugs that are actually features.
wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Performance: power switches and small electric networks

Post by wvlad »

I use a wall of such segments: Image. It consists of 2 separate networks - power switched network of normal laser turrets and 1 for the detector turret with accumulators.
Now the electric network update time is 2.4 but if I connect half of them to the main network the update time goes to 1.3 which is pretty significant. Could you consider improving it somehow?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Performance: power switches and small electric networks

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Electric networks are setup to be incredibly fast no matter how many entities are connected (the cost is < linear with the number of entities so the more on a single network the faster it is compared to them on different works).

Simply put: don't make a bunch of tiny networks - a network has a fixed overhead to exist and that can't really be removed. The bigger your network the better it is performance wise compared to multiple smaller ones.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Does this count for completely isolated networks too? I tend to run mining outpost on an isolated network, solar powered, so I don't need to run power from my main base (and risk blackouts since the damned biters keep wrecking the big poles). If having a few dozen mining bases each with their own solar powered grid leads to performance issues I might need to rethink that.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Aeternus wrote:Does this count for completely isolated networks too? I tend to run mining outpost on an isolated network, solar powered, so I don't need to run power from my main base (and risk blackouts since the damned biters keep wrecking the big poles). If having a few dozen mining bases each with their own solar powered grid leads to performance issues I might need to rethink that.
Yes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”