[0.12.29] Slow map download when 3 players

Bugs that are actually features.
terminus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.12.29] Slow map download when 3 players

Post by terminus »

My friends and I are running into an issue when a third player joins and downloads the map

Player 1 our host is running a dedicated server he connects to it directly from his LAN

Player 2 me connects to his server over the WAN with a ping of 40ms

Player 3 is on the same LAN as me

When its just Player one and my self (2) downloads are fast 200 Kilobytes per-second "his max upload"

Player 3 connects but their download is only 10Kilobytes per second.

Soon as I (player 2) disconnect (player 3's) download skyrockets.

The same is true if player 3 is connected and I try to join, and then they disconnect.

I noticed their is no peer connection between myself and my friend on my LAN, we are both only communicating through the external dedicated server.

Once the map downloads "takes way longer then it should", the game runs mostly fine. Although once again no traffic is going between peer 2, and 3 on the same LAN only going to the dedicated server.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.29] Slow map download when 3 players

Post by kovarex »

This is not a bug, the point of using the server is, that people are only sending messages through the server.

terminus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.12.29] Slow map download when 3 players

Post by terminus »

Ok, I read on the wiki ithat clients still communicate VIA p2p when using the server, I miss understood. Regardless that does not explain why when a third player on the same LAN as player 2 tries to download the map, it is several times slower until the other player on the LAN disconnects.

Edit: Since p2p part is not an issue I have added my observations to this thread.

Return to “Not a bug”