1.17.x - Arrival Feedback

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
Tuatara
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

1.17.x - Arrival Feedback

Post by Tuatara »

Decided to try out Factorio after not playing it for some time. Excited to see that the developers are still actively improving the game. I tried out the new Introduction -> Arrival. Here is some feedback:

When informing people of what to do (i.e. left click to pickup an item) allow them to do that to continue the flow of the instruction. Having it so you inform them of multiple steps before making the UI interactive again seems not intuitive.

After salvaging the two wreckages the helper bot goes to the top of the map (starting position). Reading the instructions it says to salvage scrap metal but it isn't apparent where to do that based on the structures on screen. Eventually the helper bot moved to the bottom of the screen to show where the scrap metal was but it wasn't apparent for the 20 or 30 sec before the helper bot went down there.

The "Produce the first factory structure" order of actions makes it seem like you need to build a stone furnace as the first step. Most people read instructions from the top down so having the "mine stone..." first would make it flow better.

"Build a Stone furnace" doesn't feel like the right description. It is more "Place" or something of the like. You "build" when you are in the character screen and then you place it.

"Put fuel..." shows icons for the fuel but no details on "acquiring fuel". A step before this should be to acquire fuel by chopping down a tree.

"Put iron ore..." where is ore? The only place close was a screen down. Similar here would be a step for "mine ore".

"Craft Burner mining drill" ... would be good to teach here that if you have the required materials of the "Stone Furnace" then you can click the "Burner mining drill" and you will automatically create the furnace first.

"Have coal..." where is coal? Similar issue with iron ore but now that I had seen it when I found the iron ore it wasn't as much an issue.

"Burner mining drill requires fuel" the instructions for put "coal/wood" in the left slot seems to not align with the earlier instructions about the "fuel slot". Having consistency that both the stone furnace and the drill require "fuel" and that it goes into the "fuel" slot which is the second row would be good.

"Chest"... Odd to have the robot give an objective and it not show up in the "Objective" window.

"Reactivate the Assembler" ... slightly more information that the "feed iron plates" requires a conveyor belt to connect the mine to the assembler.

"Craft Electronic circuits" ... needed copper cable but I had none in my inventory and it wasn't apparent how to craft more. The circle arrow doesn't really convey that using it will switch the item being assembled.

"Rebuild the factory" ... "build" an offshore pump when that has already been created. Similar wording concern "build" has been done... more about "placing it".

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1.17.x - Arrival Feedback

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Campaign / Scenario suggestions subforum.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”