Tutorial or Campaign?

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Tutorial or Campaign?

Post by zOldBulldog »

1) Question for the DEVs:
(other players please don't answer this one, it will only confuse the issue)

It is very unclear what is the purpose of the Tutorial/Campaign. Can you please explain its purpose?

2) Comments about it:
(other players feel free to comment, argue and throw mud at it)

- If it is a tutorial, the 0.17 version is possibly worse than the old versions... as it still does not teach how to play the game. Worse, the limitations imposed (like no splitters or underground belts) combined with having to deal with biters long before players understand proper factory design makes the "tutorial" much more difficult than playing a real game. Frankly, it is still much easier to learn the game by setting biter expansion to off and viewing a few YouTube tutorials.

- If it is a campaign, then why impose restrictions on the build tree that do not exist in the real game?

- In general, what I personally found most frustrating as I attempted the tutorial/campaign for the first time were: (a) The uncertainty about what in the world would be asked next and no clear understanding of what needed to built when and to what scale and level of automation. (b) The lack of splitters and underground belts... it drove me nuts by the horrid designs I was forced to do and eventually simply abandoned that mess. And that was for someone who is not a beginner. I would expect at least half of the true beginners that are foolish enough to start with the tutorial/campaign to get so frustrated that they simply abandons the game.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tutorial or Campaign?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Ideas and Suggestions > Campaign / Scenario suggestions
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Tutorial or Campaign?

Post by zOldBulldog »

Any chance I could get an official DEV answer on question 1?

While we are at it... the game asked we post our feedback when I first launched 0.17. Seems like I posted in the wrong place. What is the correct location for Experimental branch feedback?

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”