Introduction is terrible, You need to build it as if Google does not exist...

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
basementjack
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Introduction is terrible, You need to build it as if Google does not exist...

Post by basementjack »

I love Factorio - have played it a bunch (500 hours)

But I've noticed something - I put in the effort to learn it - watched youtube videos, read forum posts, searched for answers on google, etc..

I wonder how many of us here on the forums have done the same?

I like many of the new elements of the tutorial/intro, but it still has a long way to go..

A few simple suggestions:
Under Hints and Tips, add < and > buttons and allow the player to display the old hints and tips, players might easily forget keybindings like E and R.
This is especially true if a player starts the tutorial, saves the game then comes back a week later, which does happen...

Under Objective, Add a "how" button, and display some text -
something like "Feed Copper plate into the feeder" : First mine some copper (orange rock on the map- click here and robot will take you to it) then put the copper ore into a furnace, make sure the furnace has fuel (either wood or coal will work) and then remove the plates and put them in the feeder (show picture of feeder, and "click here and robot will take you to the feeder")

When introducing the inventory panel, that's a fairly complex thing for a new user, especially when using inventory to interact with something else. A few animations I think could help the new user grasp the concepts. (I am thinking of things like moving inventory from one object type to another)

Finally, I know there's been a great deal of effort put into not having a "tutorial" but I think that's a mistake - a tutorial is a safe place for a player to learn under any timeline, whereas gameplay is not.

There is no shame in having a tutorial, and a tutorial with multiple 'levels' will give a player a feeling of accomplishment, which leads to more connection with the game.

PhilZero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Introduction is terrible, You need to build it as if Google does not exist...

Post by PhilZero »

Finally, I know there's been a great deal of effort put into not having a "tutorial" but I think that's a mistake - a tutorial is a safe place for a player to learn under any timeline, whereas gameplay is not.

There is no shame in having a tutorial,
I could not agree more with this.

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”