New player feedback

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New player feedback

Post by Boogieman14 »

So I had my girlfriend play the Introduction campaign. She's never before touched Factorio, but she has played games like Banished, Civilization, Simcity. I've added a few clarifications/comments of my own in red.

Factorio tutorial 0.17 attempt 1

- Tutorial located under “Start campaign”, while I would normally click “new game” as I’m new to the game.
- It’s a bit annoying that you have to tab several times to read the instructions on how to put items in your inventory. One screen would have been fine. Normally I would try something when the hint is there to do it, but now it’s greyed out until I’ve tabbed several times.
- Burning miner drill got stuck working and had no clue why as there was no hint or anything. Assumed it had the same storage as the stone furnace. Turns out I was supposed to pick up stuff behind it, or place a chest there. When I played through the campaign, Compy ran over to the miner and reminded me to build a chest there. In her playthrough, Compy just stood at his spot to the left of the iron field
- First I get told how to manually remove items from a chest, next I’m supposed to feed those iron plates into the feeder. Unsure if I should insert it manually or build more transport belts like the bot built before. It would probably be helpful to have a more explicit guidance for building that stretch of belt from the iron furnaces to the gear assembler
- Decided to build belts but foolishly started at the furnace, so half the plates got stuck on the belt. Didn’t realize I could pick stuff up from the belt.
- Suggested tutorial pop-up blinked (inventory transfers?) disappeared before I got a chance to click on it. Assumed it would stick around until I finished the task I was working on.
- First I’m supposed to build a belt to feed resources, but it forgot to mention I needed inserters for that. (was already wondering why my previous belt with the iron plates suddenly stopped working as there was a gap, probably because the inserter there vanished.) The feeder suddenly disappearing is confusing. Perhaps it would be better for the tutorial if this started out with a burner inserter with a full stack of fuel
- Then it starts talking about alternate view, which I ignored for a bit as I wanted to finish the previous task first. When I decide to do something with the alternate view it finally mentions the inserters for only a few seconds (no tab to acknowledge I read it) and complains is needs resources. Would have been very easy to miss the message.

At this point she ragequit, so feedback stops here ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”