[not planned] Add a story to Factorio

Suggestions relating to the Introduction and Campaign mode in Factorio
ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[not planned] Add a story to Factorio

Post by ManaUser »

One thing I thought was missing from this iteration of the "NPE" was the story. Obviously you're still going with the crash landing motif, it continues to be referenced indirectly, but never does it say "Hey, you just crash-landed on an alien world." I hope you intend to bring that back later on (perhaps in place that "This is experimental, thanks for playing" message?), because I thought it was a really nice hook to help people get interested in what's going on.

Having Complitron fill you in at the start might also work well.

Code: Select all

STATUS REPORT

Escape Pod: Badly damaged
Crew: Engineer (1) Alive

Loading survival protocol...

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Story

Post by abregado »

Actually the plan is to remove the story completely, apart from the story you infer yourself.

Engineer has crashed on an alien world, that much is clear from the setting. We will reinforce this with the new crash site graphics. There is no plan to add story in the NPE or full length campaign.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [not planned] Add a story to Factorio

Post by 5thHorseman »

Amusingly in my head canon I don't crash at all. I'm assigned the world by Factorio, Inc., to build up the infrastructure enough - and remove the indigenous threat from the area - so colonists can come in and start living there in all that glorious pollution.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Story

Post by ManaUser »

abregado wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 pm
Actually the plan is to remove the story completely, apart from the story you infer yourself.

Engineer has crashed on an alien world, that much is clear from the setting. We will reinforce this with the new crash site graphics. There is no plan to add story in the NPE or full length campaign.
Well, I can't say I care for that change. I think a little bit of flavor text about how you got where you are and why you're doing what you're doing goes a long way to make it more interesting. Just my opinion though, obviously.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [not planned] Add a story to Factorio

Post by abregado »

Please try to hold off on judgement for now, I think what we have planned for this will be still interesting. The art and level design should convey some sort of worldbuilding, but we dont want to answer any questions for the player.

Return to “Campaign / Scenario suggestions”