change error message

Things that we aren't going to implement
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

change error message

Post by Optera »

What?
Please change the the Error message to display the mod actually causing an error in the first line.
Why?
Currently when using an API with script.raise the mod raising the event is listed as the one causing the error instead of the one failing to read the event.

The message correctly states the mod actually causing the error only after mentioning the mod raising the event 2 times.
This has the unpleasant effect of me getting swamped by such error reports whenever I change my API.
It would be less confusing to users if the first paragraph was removed and line 1 and 2 in the 2nd paragraph where swapped.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: change error message

Post by Bilka »

Moved to modding interface requests (I assume that is where you meant to post)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Bilka wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:53 pm
Moved to modding interface requests (I assume that is where you meant to post)
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it counts as an interface request.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't see this as ever having a satisfactory solution. There's no clear 'this mod is at fault' when an error happens during raise_event between 2 mods. The game has no way to know if there's actually a logic error on the mod-currently-running-event or if there's a logic error on the mod passing data to raise_event.

So, I'm going to just say "meh" and leave it as is. I still want to disable raise_event for base game events anyway which would make it clear at that point which mod is at fault.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:24 pm
I don't see this as ever having a satisfactory solution. There's no clear 'this mod is at fault' when an error happens during raise_event between 2 mods. The game has no way to know if there's actually a logic error on the mod-currently-running-event or if there's a logic error on the mod passing data to raise_event.

So, I'm going to just say "meh" and leave it as is. I still want to disable raise_event for base game events anyway which would make it clear at that point which mod is at fault.
Who is at fault when a mod does something like referencing event.entity during on_built_entity?
Would you want to get constant bug reports about Factorio being broken just because someone else was too lazy to check the latest API documentation and see it's actually event.created_entity?

Return to “Won't implement”