Allow setting custom animations for inserters

Things that we aren't going to implement
rude_grass
Inserter
Inserter

Allow setting custom animations for inserters

Post by rude_grass »

If the animations field of an inserter prototype is not null use that instead off the current inserter drawing system.

Usecase: I d like to create "loading cranes" for the cargo sips mod that dont use the standard inserter animations.

I know that inserters next to swinging forth and back also have this part where they follow items on a belt before pickup, and that this behaviour is hard/impossible to archive with custom animations, i wouldnt care about that though and would only need the animation to start playing once the inserter starts moving, stop at the drop off position and continue as soon as the inserter swings back, stop there again, and start again on the next swing and so on.

right now i would have to constantly monitor the state off an inserter to achieve the same behavior using rendering.draw_animation, which cant be good performance wise.

rude_grass
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Allow setting custom animations for inserters

Post by rude_grass »

I know the devs are working on a lot of different stuff right now, but i d still like to hear if this would be possible/ not possible/ maybe/ clarification needed/ somethingsomething...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't think it's worth our time to implement anything like this. It just sounds like a big hack that would complicate the inserter logic that the base game would never use but pay the code complexity penalty for the rest of time.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rude_grass
Inserter
Inserter

Post by rude_grass »

ok, thx!

Return to “Won't implement”