LuaGuiElement 'textfield' with value range

Things that we aren't going to implement
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

LuaGuiElement 'textfield' with value range

Post by eradicator »

What?
The ability to specify a valid range of numerical values that may be entered into a textfield.

Whaat?
Mod settings can specify that a text field can only contain i.e. an integer beween 1 and 100, or a decimal between 0.1 and 0.5, and the text field will refuse any other input and show a helpful tooltip about the allowed value ranges. I'd like that ability for modded GUIs too. The LuaGuiElement could supply information about validity via LuaGuiElement.is_value_in_range [R] or similar.
valuerange.png
valuerange.png (88.46 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: LuaGuiElement 'textfield' with value range

Post by Rseding91 »

FYI: you can already do this all script side. Watch for the text changed event and set the style of the text field if it's invalid + set the tooltip. It's exactly what the game does now for the mod setting text fields.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:FYI: you can already do this all script side. Watch for the text changed event and set the style of the text field if it's invalid + set the tooltip. It's exactly what the game does now for the mod setting text fields.
I know. But it would be a lot easier, especially for inexperienced modders, if there was a built-in way to do this. And as you already do it for mod-settings i was hoping it would be simple enough to expose the function to the API.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:FYI: you can already do this all script side. Watch for the text changed event and set the style of the text field if it's invalid + set the tooltip. It's exactly what the game does now for the mod setting text fields.
I know. But it would be a lot easier, especially for inexperienced modders, if there was a built-in way to do this. And as you already do it for mod-settings i was hoping it would be simple enough to expose the function to the API.
As with most things modding: it's not that simple.

It's not a simple function/property on the text box. The way it works in mod settings is the min/max is stored on the mod setting prototype which always exists in memory for the lifetime of the game and then the wrapper widget that shows the specific text-field mod setting listens to the text-changed event on the text widget and if it parses to a value below or above the prototype value then it changes the style and sets the tooltip.

That means in order to support it for custom-text-box the custom-text-box would have to store the min/max at all times in memory, save them to disk, listen to the change event and set the tooltip accordingly.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:That means in order to support it for custom-text-box the custom-text-box would have to store the min/max at all times in memory, save them to disk, listen to the change event and set the tooltip accordingly.
Are you implying that it would need to store/parse this for all text boxes regardless of if they use the feature? ... that would indeed be a no-go *sigh*.

If i have to implement that on the lua side i'd do it like this:

Code: Select all

local A = GUI.add{type='textbox'}
global.watchlist[A] = {start = range_start, end = range_end, is_in_range = false}
add_range_tooltip(A)

script.on_event(on_gui_text_changed,function(event)
  if watchlist[event.element] then
    if is_in_range(event.element) then
      event.element.style = default_style
      watchlist[event.element].is_in_range = true
    else
       event.element.style = out_of_range_style
       watchlist[event.element].is_in_range = false
    end
  end)

And when the player presses "ok" on that particular page, cross-reference all the elements with watchlist again. Hm, using the GuiElement as a table key makes it look easier than i initially thought. Still i can't shake the "reinvented the wheel" feeling.

Any further thoughts? (Or implementation tips.)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:Are you implying that it would need to store/parse this for all text boxes regardless of if they use the feature? ...
Yes.

Return to “Won't implement”