Things that we aren't going to implement
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Adding your own "Wire" types

Post by TheSAguy »

Hi,

I'm hoping to Hide the Copper wire on custom/hidden entities. See here

One way of doing this would be to allow one to add your own wires to the game, we have Copper, Red and Green. By adding some custom wire types, one could be set to invisible and this would hide the wires.

I know that as of 0.15 you can define your own utilities wire pictures, see this discussion. But this is done on the global level and will affect all Copper wire pictures, not just on specific entities.

Thanks.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Adding your own "Wire" types

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the suggestion but this is most likely never going to happen. In order to fully support a wire "type" the entire circuit network connection logic system would need to be changed from a red/green system to making everything dynamic. It would increase memory usage and slow down normal operation without ever using additional wire types. That, plus electric poles would have to be fundamentally changed to render any number of wire colors.

Without going into full detail about how the game code is written it might be simpler to explain it like this:

Adding support for N number of wire types instead of the current 2 would be like making every phone in existence support every power adapter type. Well technically possible the amount of work recalling and re-working all existing phones to make it happen means it's not likely to ever happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Thanks for the response Rseding!
Besides adding new wire types, is there anything else that can be changed to just hide the copper wire from custom/hidden entities? :roll:

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

+1 for a flag or something to hide wires

Return to “Won't implement”