Add Durability to ModulePrototype

Things that we aren't going to implement
BlueNova
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add Durability to ModulePrototype

Post by BlueNova »

Would like to create a mod where Modules wear out.
Modules have always felt a little cheap to me, build once get reward forever, similar to Robot Attrition and Assembler Attrition, it would be nice to have module Attrition.

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Add Durability to ModulePrototype

Post by curiosity »

You could simulate it statistically. For electronic components like the canonical modules it may even be more believable.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

No.

For a feature that base game would never use but would have to pay the performance cost i am not accepting that. For an item to have durability it would need to have a data attached to it. So far modules have data attached to them but i already made them work without any item data so i am even more against randomly adding durability to modules.

If you want you can always try setting health of the item stack which contains a module item: this data is specifically optimized to not require item data when health is default, should be available for every item and it may have better merge properties than durability since durability merges in a way to always produce full items and remainder goes to last item (during the process, some amount of items may dissapear) while health averages across the items.

BlueNova
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BlueNova »

Thank you, curiosity, and boskid, will look into my options.

Return to “Won't implement”