Add a way to hide/disable missing Item alerts for specific items or entitys

Things that we aren't going to implement
Lukas0120
Inserter
Inserter

Add a way to hide/disable missing Item alerts for specific items or entitys

Post by Lukas0120 »

Currently there is no way to exclude Entity or Items from missing item alerts, so my ghosts of my dummy Entitys will produce missing item alerts. I need some way to exclude or hide my entity/items from missing item alerts.
Possible Solutions:
-Don't show missing item alerts for items or Entitys that have the hidden flag set
-Add some property or flag to Entitys or Items to exclude them from missing item alerts
-Add something you can set on ghosts to disable missing item alerts for that ghost/stop bots from attemting to build that ghost
-Add a way to mute and/or disable missing item alerts for specific entity prototypes/items

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Add a way to hide/disable missing Item alerts for specific items or entitys

Post by DaveMcW »

Why are you using ghosts for dummy entities?

Could you remove the placeable_by item so the dummy entity does not get a ghost?

Lukas0120
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lukas0120 »

I need my dummy entity's a ghost's because I need them to be placeable trough blueprints, the whole point of my mod is make blueprints placeable on water. To do that I need to convert everything in a blueprint into my water placeable dummy entity's that can be placed on water. The mod then auto places ghost landfill under the ghosts of my dummy enties and then replaces (upgrades) the ghosts of my dummy entitles to ghosts of the original entries when the original entity can be build in that location (once landfill has been build/or if dummy entity ghosts are placed on landfill) for this to work I need my dummy entities to be blueprint able and to be present as ghosts and to do that I need dummy items with the dummy entity as a place result.
This is all for my mod Ghost on Water not sure If I should like my mod here but maybe that'll better explain why I need my dummy entities as ghosts.

PFQNiet
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PFQNiet »

I wonder if the desired effect could be achieved by searching for a suitable position to build each entity in the blueprint, build the ghost entity there and then immediately teleport it into the desired position on the water. Teleportation doesn't consider collision, it might be slower but it seems more convenient than needing to replicate the entire entity list, and it would continue to work even without the mod installed.

EDIT: or maybe manually scripting the placement of ghost entities from the blueprint, though that might be more complicated? I don't know.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Sounds like you can just revive your dummy entities when the blueprint is placed. Then replace them with entity ghosts when the landfill is placed.

Lukas0120
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lukas0120 »

PFQNiet wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:04 am
I wonder if the desired effect could be achieved by searching for a suitable position to build each entity in the blueprint, build the ghost entity there and then immediately teleport it into the desired position on the water. Teleportation doesn't consider collision, it might be slower but it seems more convenient than needing to replicate the entire entity list, and it would continue to work even without the mod installed.

EDIT: or maybe manually scripting the placement of ghost entities from the blueprint, though that might be more complicated? I don't know.
There no way to detect if the player (or anything) is trying (but failing because it's blocked/on water) to place down a blueprint or anything really so that's not really an option.
DaveMcW wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:16 pm
Sounds like you can just revive your dummy entities when the blueprint is placed. Then replace them with entity ghosts when the landfill is placed.
While that would work in theory it would make it harder to for example delete the entites while they on the water, could probably be fixed by destroying the entitey when marked for deconstrunction but that woudn't fix the player not being able to remove the ghost by just right clicking it. It would also add a bunch of additional work making the placed down entities look like ghosts, and have no functionality. Also I'm actually upgrading the ghosts of dummy entity to ghosts of real entity (I add both the dummy and real enity to quick replace group if they aren't already both in one), to preserve all the set recopies, modules to insert, ... . I don't think order_upgrade let's you turn a build entity into a ghost and I also don't think that there's any easy way to replace it with a ghost (as in delete the entiy and make a new ghost) while preserving all additional information.
In the this is to much work and crates to many potential problems to fix some somewhat annoying missing item alerts.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ghosts serve exactly 1 purpose in the game logic: to be built at a later time by a robot. What you're asking for is to remove that 1 purpose. That says to me you don't want ghosts.

I'm going to put this into won't implement.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Lukas0120
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lukas0120 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:56 pm
Ghosts serve exactly 1 purpose in the game logic: to be built at a later time by a robot. What you're asking for is to remove that 1 purpose. That says to me you don't want ghosts.

I'm going to put this into won't implement.
I know that arguing is about this is pointless and that nobody is probably ever going to read any replies or reconsider anything in Won't Implements, but what else would I want if not ghosts?
1. I want to place my water placeble dummy enties trough a (modiefied) blueprint, only ghosts can be palced by a blueprints.
2. They need to look transparent like a Ghsot
3. They need to be removable by the player by just right clicking them regardless of range or distance to the player.
4. The mod needs to upgrade them to ghosts of the actual entities after landfill has been placed (or when placed on land) so it can actually be build by a robot, order_upgrade doesn't seem to allow upgrading an already placed entity to a ghosts, so I'd have to destroy the entity and manually copy over all property the entity may have set (set recipes, filters, modules to insert (which by the way also obiously shoud't be inserter while the pseudo ghost entity is on water).

Doing what I want to do without ghosts would either require several other addions to the APi or more hacky workarounds. Also even if everyhitng above is possible I'd essentially have to reimplement half of the behavior of ghosts just to ged rid of the slight annoyance of item alerts.
And in the end the ghosts of my dummy entries(copys of every single placble entiy with a modified collision mask so they can be placed on water and corresponding dummy items) still exist to be build by a robot at a later time it's just that they shouldn't and won't get build until they are on land and are upgraded back into ghosts of the oringal entices.
Also I'm not asking to get rid of the purpose of ghosts to the placed later, all I'm asking is to disable item alerts for specific items and/or entitles in some way. I'm sure there are other uses for a feature like that maye someone would want to disable missing Item alerts for some items (maybe somthing that's already automated but in insufficient quantity's, while keeping the alerts for other items so it's more obious when somthin relly important is missing or when there's somthing missing that isn't automated and has to be handcrafted and given to the bots)

Return to “Won't implement”