[suggestion]Add "gun-range" modifier to research modifier prototypes

Things that we aren't going to implement
x2605
Inserter
Inserter

[suggestion]Add "gun-range" modifier to research modifier prototypes

Post by x2605 »

TL;DR
Please add "gun-range" modifier prototype to https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/ModifierPrototype
What ?
Which allows making mods about increasing weapon/turret ranges during game via researching.
Why ?
Why not?
There is damage upgrade exists.
There is speed upgrade exists.
Why is there no range upgrade exists?
English is not my native language. Sorry for bad English.
My mods :
Lua API global Variable Viewer (mod portal)
Lua API Event Trace (mod portal)
My tools :
Locale String Editor (github.io webapp)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [suggestion]Add "gun-range" modifier to research modifier prototypes

Post by ssilk »

moved from suggestions to modding interface requests
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This isn't likely to ever be implemented due to how turret mechanics work in the game.

Turrets turn themselves off unless there is an enemy within their shooting area rounded up to the nearest chunk. As enemies move around they 'turn on' nearby turrets based off the maximum turret range in the game. This means the range is calculated at startup and doesn't support changing runtime.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:40 pm
This isn't likely to ever be implemented due to how turret mechanics work in the game.

Turrets turn themselves off unless there is an enemy within their shooting area rounded up to the nearest chunk. As enemies move around they 'turn on' nearby turrets based off the maximum turret range in the game. This means the range is calculated at startup and doesn't support changing runtime.
Is that why artillery range can change at runtime then? Because they only target static entities, which don't move around?
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:04 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:40 pm

Is that why artillery range can change at runtime then? Because they only target static entities, which don't move around?
Artillery never goes inactive and so actively scans around itself when trying to shoot. So it can just change the range it wants to shoot and it will next time it updates shoot a bigger area.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

blahfasel2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blahfasel2000 »

How about adding a "max-bonus" field to the modifier prototype that is mandatory for type "gun-range"? This wouldn't allow infinite research like with artillery range, but at least a fixed number of range research levels would be possible while still keeping the ability to calculate the max range at startup.

x2605
Inserter
Inserter

Post by x2605 »

Bad news. I wanted the developers to pay more attention to what Factorio should become as a game, but the developers seem to see Factorio as a finished program.
My mods :
My tools :

blahfasel2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blahfasel2000 »

x2605 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:31 pm
Bad news. I wanted the developers to pay more attention to what Factorio should become as a game, but the developers seem to see Factorio as a finished program.
No, they are looking at the big picture. As Rseding91 pointed out implementing your suggestion would mean losing a very important optimization (remember that worms are turrets internally as well, it's not just the player's turrets!) which would likely come at a significant UPS cost. And because it's a fundamental engine change that price would have to be payed by everyone while only a few niche mod use cases would benefit from it.

x2605
Inserter
Inserter

Post by x2605 »

blahfasel2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:06 am
x2605 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:31 pm
No, they are looking at the big picture. As Rseding91 pointed out implementing your suggestion would mean losing a very important optimization (remember that worms are turrets internally as well, it's not just the player's turrets!) which would likely come at a significant UPS cost. And because it's a fundamental engine change that price would have to be payed by everyone while only a few niche mod use cases would benefit from it.
Thanks for the explanation. I will respect the opinions of the developers. UPS is important. Now I agree.
My mods :
My tools :

Return to “Won't implement”