Biomass/CO2

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Biomass/CO2

Post by reapersms »

What's the most reasonable way to generate these after most of the biomass recipes got moved to the composter?

Previously most of my CO2 came from biomass, either via phytoplankton or wood. Neither of those is particularly workable now. Aiming at a rather conservative 4 HPFs (18k CO2/m), which would feed about 1/3 of the CO2 I really need, is about 600 biomass/m.

Various options I have looked at:

Guar bean seeds: 6 solid separators, 13 1/3 plantations. Reasonable, except it eats 18k CO2/m. Nice that it would be a relatively closed loop, not so nice in that guar is not particularly useful if you aren't drilling.

Wood: 100 composters, eating 40 MW, and eating 3000 wood/m. All of the fast wood options use a lot more CO2 than this would generate, also, it seems a bit absurd for it to take 40MW to make wood into something burnable into CO2.

Logs: only 25 composters, but the non-CO2 recipes would need 187 fastwood forestry to produce it, and the CO2 recipes would all eat as much or more than the biomass would produce

Phytoplankton: 20 composters, but needs 30 phyto farms, and eats more than a yellow belt of iron ore. Flue gas recipe only needs 15, may be vaguely reasonable.

Sorting from soil: no composters, about 12 MW of power running 20 separators and ~23 soil extractors. Generates a pile of excess sand, coarse fraction, and limestone, but those are workable.

I suspect I will end up moving back to using coke->CO2 as the primary source, with the soil approach backing it up. Not the nicest or most compact thing, but it seems reliable.

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Biomass/CO2

Post by TwentyEighty »

Someone in the discord suggested lignin, check it out

reapersms
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by reapersms »

That does appear to be closer to the right ballpark. Still a bit convoluted, and 8+ composters to run that is still a bit less than ideal for scaling, but it ought to do for now.

razahin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by razahin »

This change is unfortunate for me. I just set up a large phytoplankton -> biomass factory a couple days ago. I thought my biomass needs we're solved for a while. Looks like I'll need to figure out a new use for all this phytoplankton / flue gas (I'd hate to just vent it).

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

biomass in in a weird place atm
i suggest useing spores and ralesia seeds for biomass
also the soil separation recipe is good the limestone can be used to make seaweed and the weed can be composted too
plancton is sorta slow so not great

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

biomass is new and still passing my balancing
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

Arfarazon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Arfarazon »

aromatics > biomass seems fine for me.
it is 60 aromatics for 30 biomass per second, but the footprint is quite big with 60 compost plants required for this

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

Arfarazon wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 am
aromatics > biomass seems fine for me.
it is 60 aromatics for 30 biomass per second, but the footprint is quite big with 60 compost plants required for this
yes composting is very slow atm but it will be made faster
also how do you intend to make the aromatics ?

Arfarazon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Arfarazon »

immortal_sniper1 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:18 pm
also how do you intend to make the aromatics ?
Unfortunately i dont have a good solution intended for on-site use, so currently i just have separate location for tar>creosote>aromatics>biomass, which outputs all of these into train network. And then i make input for biomass whereever the CO2 is in need

Return to “PyMods”