Moderator: pyanodon

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: pY Alien Life - Discussion

Post by immortal_sniper1 »

musashimu wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 pm
Is it intended that composting phytoplankton gives 40 biomass for 10 units of fluid? It seems too good to be true compared to the other composting recipes and the proportion of "free" energy gained if you convert the biomass into raw coal and its products.
phytoplankton is SLOW also there is no easy way to make it form just water , so yu need to spend fluegas or iron ore
in the case of flue gas it is sorta good but are you sure you want to spend it here and not speed up some other plant ?
in the case of iron it is sorta slow so large builds are needed

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:23 pm
huhabab wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm
immortal_sniper1 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 pm
you should get one close to spawn
you need a lot of the for science and different stuff
there is a building that can make them but that is mid-late game
I just added AL to my ongoing save game (about 200hours, I'd rather not restart everything if possible). I'm still searching for something AL in newly generated terrain but sadly no luck yet.
the custom resource generator isnt setup for bio reserve so dont use that if you havnt already otherwise yes it should show up in new chunks. although it can take a bit to get truly new chunks as the game spawns quit a bit in the fog of war
When I went 17 to 0.18, I used delete-empty-chunks mod to remove chunks I hadn't built in, and "Change-map-settings" mod to enable biosamples

Heintje
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Heintje »

I just set up something that makes cottenguts.
When i put them in a research centre to make some science the production start but at the end i get no output.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Heintje wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:03 pm
I just set up something that makes cottenguts.
When i put them in a research centre to make some science the production start but at the end i get no output.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?
It's a percentage chance so not every cycle will give you science packs

Heintje
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Heintje »

So i misunderstood the production. With a craft that makes 2.5 science i expected 2 or 3 science, (50%)
Then FNEI lists it as 25 x 10% what i interpetated as 25 rolls with a 10% chance, so after the 25 rolls you should have a 92.8% chance to have at least 1 science.

But it is just 1 roll with a 10% chance to get 25 science. So that explains why is did not have anything after 5 crafts.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

How do the caravans work?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: pY Alien Life - Discussion [Bug report:]

Post by Squelch »

I took a rest from the game and did a restart rather than refactor my factory. No harm done, I'm just getting better at laying out the factory, and leaving space for surprise changes to buildings and recipes.

I couldn't remember what fuel the bio collector needs, and had to resort to looking at the files for the correct name due to a bug.

Bug report:

fuel-category.name shows "unknown key"

Reproduction:
  1. Start a fresh map with AlienLife 1.5.1 enabled on Factorio 0.18.17
  2. Select any empty quickbar slot
  3. Type any of the names from the list below into the search filter
  4. Hold pointer over icon to read the name and description

Code: Select all

[fuel-category]
food=Food
meat=Meat
drill=Drill heads
bio-container=Bio containers
Result:
All of the fuel-category names show "Unknown key"
alienlife-fuel-category.PNG
alienlife-fuel-category.PNG (18.88 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
Addendum:
The displayed key appears a little odd.

fuel-category-name
Shouldn't it be the following?

fuel-category.name
[Edit for formatting and full report]

recall2000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by recall2000 »

kinnom wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 pm
Hopefully this helps -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PXDGaL-tg
I've not used them myself, but they look reasonably easy to use. GL.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

recall2000 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:02 am
kinnom wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 pm
Hopefully this helps -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PXDGaL-tg
I've not used them myself, but they look reasonably easy to use. GL.
Thanks
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

Trying to work out "best" of certain things is really difficult with this. It seems like lots of later techs are potentially actually worse than earlier ones, especially in regard to food requirements on animals etc. Nearly seems like that you should just go all in on one animal like Ulrics and use that for manure, brains, bones, skin, guts, etc. Only grow other things specifically for the one thing they have unique (arthropod blood, for example).

That said, curious what people are doing, especially in regard to science generation. I'm nearly at the point I can switch to cottonguts for at least 2 sciences, maybe more. Tossing up if it's worth it.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

not worse, but its your opinion. Also, i never reccomended people to breed all the animals/crops. you can tottaly focus in one of them. Except the requiered ones
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

mrbaggins wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 am
Trying to work out "best" of certain things is really difficult with this. It seems like lots of later techs are potentially actually worse than earlier ones, especially in regard to food requirements on animals etc. Nearly seems like that you should just go all in on one animal like Ulrics and use that for manure, brains, bones, skin, guts, etc. Only grow other things specifically for the one thing they have unique (arthropod blood, for example).

That said, curious what people are doing, especially in regard to science generation. I'm nearly at the point I can switch to cottonguts for at least 2 sciences, maybe more. Tossing up if it's worth it.
depends on animal used
and yes most herbivores are much better then the carnivores for rendering into generic parts
regarding later recipes of the same animal they are , depending on animal , give more but all are faster overall
also there is bio-printing if you really find something HUGE and very expensive and if i remember well it is for most dedicated components
except antelopes ( aka the most expensive animal of all by far , someone made sure we can t get it the easy way )
Except the requiered ones
aka most of them directly or indirectly

mrbaggins
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrbaggins »

pyanodon wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:45 am
not worse, but its your opinion. Also, i never reccomended people to breed all the animals/crops. you can tottaly focus in one of them. Except the requiered ones
What I'm getting at is say: the best fungal substrate for fawogae or navens.

It requires a heap of the animal parts.

Which to feed those, requires bulk plants, including fawogae.

Like I said, I've gotta sit down and do the math, but quick looks make it not add up.

immortal_sniper1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

mrbaggins wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 am
pyanodon wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:45 am
What I'm getting at is say: the best fungal substrate for fawogae or navens.

It requires a heap of the animal parts.

Which to feed those, requires bulk plants, including fawogae.

Like I said, I've gotta sit down and do the math, but quick looks make it not add up.
i will look it up
if i remember well the first 2 were ok? it was like wood+stuff made from wood+manure/ureea or something like that
was that ok ?

Androix777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Androix777 »

I get Ralesia technology, but the recipe "ralesia plantation mk 01" did not appear, although it is indicated in the technology. What could be the problem?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Androix777 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am
I get Ralesia technology, but the recipe "ralesia plantation mk 01" did not appear, although it is indicated in the technology. What could be the problem?
It could be a migration issue. If you didn't have the tech already unlocked it should have been fine though.

I'm not really sure. Could you maybe post that save and I can look at it to see what happened.

Androix777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Androix777 »

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:49 pm
It could be a migration issue. If you didn't have the tech already unlocked it should have been fine though.

I'm not really sure. Could you maybe post that save and I can look at it to see what happened.
The technology was obtained a long time ago. But recently I decided to deal with ralesia and noticed this.
FNEI shows the name of the plantation in red. This usually means that the recipe cannot be made for any reason, but all the necessary researches are green.

My map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18VkOp ... Mqd0k2Y3lP

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 pm

The technology was obtained a long time ago. But recently I decided to deal with ralesia and noticed this.
FNEI shows the name of the plantation in red. This usually means that the recipe cannot be made for any reason, but all the necessary researches are green.

My map:
looks like a small issue with migration. run this in the console and it will fix it.

/c for _,player in pairs(game.players) do player.force.reset_recipes() player.force.reset_technologies() player.force.reset_technology_effects()end

Androix777
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Androix777 »

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 pm

My map:
looks like a small issue with migration. run this in the console and it will fix it.

/c for _,player in pairs(game.players) do player.force.reset_recipes() player.force.reset_technologies() player.force.reset_technology_effects()end
Thank you, now everything is there. Will this fix work for all players in multiplayer too?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:11 pm
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 pm

My map:

Thank you, now everything is there. Will this fix work for all players in multiplayer too?
Yes its triggered for all players

Return to β€œPyMods”