Will Pymods ever work with _____ again?

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

CriticalGENERAL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Will Pymods ever work with _____ again?

Post by CriticalGENERAL »

so this may seem like a broad topic, or rather this is a question going backwards in time as i do not have a concrete answer anywhere.

up until recently i have been using the full Pymod suite with a good handful of other mod sets making my game extremely complex and an absolute joy to play over the course of weeks at a time without ever even coming close to the end goal, it was incredible every time i started the game. However there were always "issues" and hiccups along the way that i had to brute force my way through or skip a single building with cheat mode due to a single item literally not being able to be made due to something in the code just being misspelled, which all that was perfectly fine, the whole thing was jury-rigged from the get-go, but my point is, they all WORKED together almost perfectly up until this whole "2.0" thing going on with Pymod right now.

my mod "set" i have been running for well over a year now includes:

AAI
Angel's
Bob's
Deadlocks's
MadClown01's
Pyanodons
Youki
and about another 40-50 mods thrown in for various reasons over time, but as i said, they all WORKED together.

so coming up to the present here, all the mods work together still other then Pymods, they just hard locked themselves out of working anymore due to the whole rework done not long ago, not even the age old "pycoal touched by an angel" mod can fix it anymore.

so i guess my question, is two fold actually:

1. is "Pycoal touched by an angel" truly and finally dead, as in it will never be worked on again to make pymods compatible with other things?

2. Will Pymods ever work with those major mod sets i listed above ever again? (as i said they DID in the past right up until just recently, i know they say "incompatible" with this that and the other thing but they DID work)

im really hopping someday somehow, all these mods can work together again, i cant even begin to explain just how incredible it is to play with them all together at once, i have never once played Factorio to get to the end goal, i have always played for the extremely long and complex journey that takes me there just out of the sheer mental fortitude it takes to overcome all challenges along the way, it really is something to enjoy, but in the end if it comes down to it that Pymods just wont work with any of those sets ever again then maybe its finally time i hang up my hard hat on Factorio, i can not even think of playing without Pymods in my set, by itself its at least half of the gameplay with the mods i have used over the past year+ (maybe almost two years at this point)

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Will Pymods ever work with _____ again?

Post by Xorimuth »

I have zero involvement in the development of Py, or in most of the other mods you linked, so this isn't an official answer. However...

1. Maintaining compatibility between these sorts of mods is a huge amount of work. Even more so when there's so many different options/permutations of mods and mod options to test and fix. Someone has to do this work. And if I had developed a massive overhaul on the scale of any of these, I'd much rather spend my time completing my own vision of a factorio overhaul mod instead of getting it to work (often poorly) with someone else's. If someone else wants to come and do the compatibility work, then fine, but I wouldn't expect the mod authors themselves to do this. Since there (presumably) isn't currently anyone working on integrating all these mods, that just means that the demand isn't there.

2. Why does combining barely-compatible mods improve the game? My understanding is that Py is so incredibly complex (especially with AlienLife and Alternative Energy), that when you add simpler mods like Bob's/Angel's, the extra production lines that they add act like shortcuts, since they are shorter/easier than the Py equivalent. So by adding BA to Py, you have now made Py easier, not harder.

3. If they worked at some point in the past, then there's nothing stopping you from installing the older versions and playing them exactly as they were.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

CriticalGENERAL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CriticalGENERAL »

1. it is true, i imagine it would be an insane amount of work, or it could be not all that much work at all, i am not a coder of any sort.

2. you would be surprised how well an angel-bob-py set on its own works, its fantastic! while some things are easier due to the recipes and chains there are alot of things that get more complex and have to be routed around in order to make it all work properly, its quite the mental workout and i love it for that alone.

3 this is also true, i think i would just have to roll back all of the Pymods to make everything work again, even so i would hope to use all the current updates someday all together (could just be wishful thinking tho)

Edit: it does appear however, that due to the sheer amount of updates to the game and all mods that even with a rollback my mod set may finally just be dead outright, most unfortunate but thats ok, it was some good times.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Angels-Py-Space-Krastoric-ScienceTweaked-Revolution when?
That would be my personal dream. A nightmarish dream, but hey, a dream nevertheless. Ah, it's also a pipe-dream! :D
it is true, i imagine it would be an insane amount of work, or it could be not all that much work at all, i am not a coder of any sort.
I don't think it involves much coding, but a crazy amount of balancing and integration.
you would be surprised how well an angel-bob-py set on its own works
Arguably it sounds a lot better with proper integration. They overlap a lot, but also have many differences.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

1. is "Pycoal touched by an angel" truly and finally dead, as in it will never be worked on again to make pymods compatible with other things?
Uh, AFAIK it hasn't been working since pY Alien Life released ?

At least I am pretty sure it wasn't working at this moment in time, so As2piK used taizan's AngelBobPy modpack instead ?

And the reason your game still worked was because you haven't tried the most recent pY mods like Alternative Energy, Alien Life, Petroleum Handling, boy are you in for a treat !
CriticalGENERAL wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:10 pm
[...]
3 this is also true, i think i would just have to roll back all of the Pymods to make everything work again, even so i would hope to use all the current updates someday all together (could just be wishful thinking tho)

Edit: it does appear however, that due to the sheer amount of updates to the game and all mods that even with a rollback my mod set may finally just be dead outright, most unfortunate but thats ok, it was some good times.
BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 pm
[...]
I suggest that for games started with «pY 1.0», you stick with other (pY and non-pY) mod versions released before «pY 2.0»
(because the gameplay has changed quite a lot anyway, and your base is likely to be a mess)
I also did so for Factorio itself (that game folder frozen at 1.1.70), just to be sure...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “PyMods”