Question about matching request amount with total products in trains

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Question about matching request amount with total products in trains

Post by Ignalion »

Can trains in the mod communicate with each other?

I mean, I have the situation with mixed deliveries. And as far as I can tell the root cause is because two trains (8k capacity each) went to Requester station is with 10k threshold and first train unloaded fully while the second one stuck because Requester station was full and leaves by timeout with ore inside. And then the same train went to other station still with ore inside.

I'm using regular inserters now and I understand that problem can be solved by filter inserters but still I don't like the idea trains going with products inside.

Can i have the trains going to Requester stations only when total amount of products match the threshold and/or delta? I mean, if my train contains 4k ore and threshold is 10k so I have only two trains max going for this station for a moment?
Last edited by Ignalion on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennidevito
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Question about matching request amount with total products in train

Post by bennidevito »

You could uncheck the "Finish Loading" setting, so the second train will leave the provider station as soon as 2k are loaded. Or add more storage capacity at the requester station. Or lower the maximum number of simultaneous deliveries to 1.

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ignalion »

bennidevito wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:30 pm
You could uncheck the "Finish Loading" setting, so the second train will leave the provider station as soon as 2k are loaded.
Yeah the issue is the train leaves by timeout on requester and the second one that I do not have filter inserter atm. I'm thinking add them as failsafe option so at least if train content messes up I won't have incorrect resources unloading to my stations.
For the moment I'm trying to play around with thresholds and simultaneous delivery stations. As far as I can tell trains do not communicate with each other so the issue should be dealt on user side I think.
I understand that I can do unloading all extra products on the depot and probably filter them to provider stations near the depot as a last resort.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Ignalion wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm
bennidevito wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:30 pm
You could uncheck the "Finish Loading" setting, so the second train will leave the provider station as soon as 2k are loaded.
Yeah the issue is the train leaves by timeout on requester and the second one that I do not have filter inserter atm. I'm thinking add them as failsafe option so at least if train content messes up I won't have incorrect resources unloading to my stations.
For the moment I'm trying to play around with thresholds and simultaneous delivery stations. As far as I can tell trains do not communicate with each other so the issue should be dealt on user side I think.
I understand that I can do unloading all extra products on the depot and probably filter them to provider stations near the depot as a last resort.
You should really look into why your second train can't unload in time.
- Is there enough space at the requester?
- Is your wiring correct, which sends the amount of existing material in requester?
- Do you request to much?

As LTN works for nearly everyone else, there must be an issue in your setup.

Please be aware that there is no intention to keep the train at the requester for longer time as for an unloading into empty chests is needed if that is your idea of how to use LTN.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ignalion »

steinio wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm

You should really look into why your second train can't unload in time.
- Is there enough space at the requester?
- Is your wiring correct, which sends the amount of existing material in requester?
- Do you request to much?

As LTN works for nearly everyone else, there must be an issue in your setup.

Please be aware that there is no intention to keep the train at the requester for longer time as for an unloading into empty chests is needed if that is your idea of how to use LTN.
I've checked that. The main issue is that I running RSO so the path from provider to requester takes considerable amount of time. And despite the fact that threshold is set exactly for one train by the time the first train completes the journey LTN can still send another one to the same route. I've run into a moment when there were even three trains to the station when free amount of chests can contain only resources from one train. It was done deliberately because of long train routes, so while one train arrives station won't deplete all the resources. However, it works for the high throughput stations. When load decreases extra trains stuck at requester stations and could not unload all the resources to the station while the timeout is reached (120s by default). So it leaves with resources inside.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Question about matching request amount with total products in trains

Post by steinio »

Ah ok that makes sense.
You may try:
- set the requester threshold lower
- set the timeout higher (Menu -> Settings -> Mod Settings)
- set train limit to one train only

Do you control your provider or do you fill the train until completely full?
For example if you request 1000 do you deliver 1000 or a full train?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Question about matching request amount with total products in trains

Post by Ignalion »

steinio wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 pm
Ah ok that makes sense.
You may try:
- set the requester threshold lower
- set the timeout higher (Menu -> Settings -> Mod Settings)
- set train limit to one train only

Do you control your provider or do you fill the train until completely full?
For example if you request 1000 do you deliver 1000 or a full train?
For the moment there's no reason for me to make controlled provider since I want my trains to go full every time. In fact, I think the best thing I can do is to unload all extra items at depot and then route the items to a corresponding provider stations. I think I also could increase the timeout but that could potentially lead to trains building up at requester stations.
Or at the other hand it works for each requester station to limit amount of trains to the threshold but it makes more work to setup a new requester station and I aim to megabase and with RSO it means a lot of station. Idk which one is actually better but I think unloading all the extra items in the depot will work regardless of any setups.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”