Feature Request : Depots use Train Length signals

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Feature Request : Depots use Train Length signals

Post by themadgunman »

Pretty much what it says, is it possible that depots could take into account Min/Max train length signals so that only trains of the correct size return to a specific depot ?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feature Request : Depots use Train Length signals

Post by Optera »

Not going to happen.
Assigning trains to depots by name offers more control to players.

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the system works then, as far as I'm aware when a train has finished its delivery it returns to the nearest available stop marked as a Depot regardless of the stop name? So i would have thought that having an optional check that the stop is suitable for its train length would offer more control for players, for example it would be much easier to setup a refueling system for a depot stop if you knew what size train would be parked there. Obviously this means the stops would have to have different names depending on the length assignment but I didn't see this as much of an issue but clearly you do so i guess its a dead idea

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

themadgunman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the system works then, as far as I'm aware when a train has finished its delivery it returns to the nearest available stop marked as a Depot regardless of the stop name?
To add trains to LTN players have to send trains to a depot. This train will always return to the nearest depot of the assigned name.
themadgunman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:16 pm
it would be much easier to setup a refueling system for a depot stop if you knew what size train would be parked there.
Encoded position signals show what carriage is parked where. Theres a ton of posts about how to decode and use these.

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

Ahh so a train returns to the depot it was originally sent to and not just the nearest available depot, that's something I didn't realise, I'm actually using the encoded position signals at the moment to activate the fuel loading inserters but I came across an issue where if an inserter for a short train hadn't emptied its whole hand contents (because the train was full) it would contaminate the cargo wagons of a longer train when they pulled in afterwards. I was contemplating just setting the stack size for these inserters to 1 to combat the problem but I see now that i should just make my depot groups train length specific (L-C-L to Depot 1, L-C-C-L to Depot 2 etc) This would eliminate the problem entirely, thanks again for your patience in explaining where i was going wrong

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

themadgunman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 am
I was contemplating just setting the stack size for these inserters to 1 to combat the problem
That is the solution I use myself.
After filling up fuel once, locomotives generally only need 1-5 items to top them up. Unless they are sent to the end of infinity. :lol:

themadgunman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by themadgunman »

Yeah, realising that trains return to their origin depot not the nearest available one has caused me to rethink my entire depot placement scheme but having spent my last 4 hours in game renovating all my stations to use the excellent new Stack Threshold feature i think I'll settle for just capping the inserters for now. For some reason lately I seem to just spend a lot of my time in map mode watching all my trains going about their business instead of actually doing stuff to progress my build :)

Return to “Logistic Train Network”