Station setup w/o inserters/slight tutorial request

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

jmiester14
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Station setup w/o inserters/slight tutorial request

Post by jmiester14 »

So I've read on other posts that an "inserter control circuit" is required? But I use the Bulk Rail Loaders mod and have NO inserters at my stations.

I'm also supremely inexperienced with anything related to the circuit network, so there's that.

I'm still struggling to wrap my head around getting the stations to work in the first place.

Yes, I've watched Nihlius' video. Yes, I know it's outdated, but the "manual" main post isn't helping me figure out how to get started.

EDIT: I got it working, it all came down to my neglecting proper implementation of Depots, which begs a further question: Will I need an individual Depot for every train on the network?

Xtrafresh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Station setup w/o inserters/slight tutorial request

Post by Xtrafresh »

Depot: nope!
The point of the mod is that you have one central depot (or several with different trains) that serve all stations. Each train can be used for all tasks it's equipped for. So basically you set up one massive depot with a good stacker and send all trains there.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

i have multiple blocks, at the moment 9 , each with 10 depots for l-cccc-l and one for 10 tanker. Each block is named depotX where X is 1-9. So i see always how many trains are in each depot.

How do you prevent clocking of your tracks before/after depot if you centralice it in one place?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I name my depots by train composition. So I have Depot-LC, Depot-LF, Depot-LLCCCC, Depot-LLFFFF, Depot-LCCCL and so on.

As for using the bulk rail loader/unloader this has a slight problem. You can't control what or how much get loaded.

As for what you have to make all stations only provide one type of item. Easy enough to do.

Harder is the how much. You can make all your requester and provider limits >= train capacity so LTN always requests a full train. Then the loader will fill it up and everything is OK. I do that for ores anyway so bulk rail loaders work nicely there.

You can also disable the LTN option that waits for loading to finish (adds the extra 2s of inactivity to the schedule). That way the train will leave when it hits the amount requested. Note that this basically prevents having any station supplying multiple goods without really fancy combinator logic as inserters will be left with items in hand (and then the next train gets them despite requesting something else).

Personally I recommend using the bulk rail loaders exclusively for goods that you need full trains of all the time and set the requester/provider limits accordingly. It's called bulk for a reason.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”