[Feature Request] Return to Depot

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Feature Request] Return to Depot

Post by realm174 »

I can probably do this manually, but with 80 or so trains, that'll be a pain... Is there a way to clear all "pending" requests, and have all trains return to the depot?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Reset option

Post by Optera »

What do you mean by pending requests?
Do you want a way to reset the time stamp since when request threshold was reached?
I have no idea what you hope to gain from that.

The only reset option that would make sense is to order trains already en route back to their depot.
In most cases where this might seem helpful though the reason is a gridlock or engine out of fuel which have to be solved by the player regardless.
I am thinking of adding a stop button or option so players can resolve stuck trains without LTN sending more and more trains.

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Optera wrote:What do you mean by pending requests?
Do you want a way to reset the time stamp since when request threshold was reached?
I have no idea what you hope to gain from that.

The only reset option that would make sense is to order trains already en route back to their depot.
In most cases where this might seem helpful though the reason is a gridlock or engine out of fuel which have to be solved by the player regardless.
I am thinking of adding a stop button or option so players can resolve stuck trains without LTN sending more and more trains.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified, but yes, the issue I encountered is that a train somehow ran out of fuel (which shouldn't happen, as they all refuel at the depot). Regardless, I ended up with about 30 trains lined up behind that one, all going to get green circuits, which of course, I didn't have/need as many available as the requests were accumulating to. So I basically had to go through each train and manually send them back to the depot to "reset" them. The alternative would have been to refuel the train that ran out of fuel, and let all the trains go and deplete my green circuits which would have been needed somewhere else, and/or have them go to the destination but be unable to unload their cargo, which then causes a bunch of train to drive around with cargo they have no home for.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

When I had a complete deadlock of 20+ L-6C-L trains I wished for a send to depot button myself, but it just isn't feasible.
1) Stuck trains will always require player interaction to get unstuck (gridlock, out of fuel, biter killing a locomotive)
2) For such a feature to work the rail network has to be designed to allow trains turning around anywhere, or it will make even more trains stuck not finding a path back to their depot.
3) Finally I am disgusted by the button clutter some mods produce and don't want to add to it with a button ideally never used.

I added an option to stop LTNs Dispatcher from sending out more trains in 1.4.14.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Feature Request] Return to Depot

Post by sparr »

Optera wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:35 pm
3) Finally I am disgusted by the button clutter some mods produce and don't want to add to it with a button ideally never used.
The button could only appear when a train is selected? Or it could just be an exposed mod call, to be called by other mods that add a GUI to LTN?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Feature Request] Return to Depot

Post by Optera »

This weeks Necro Award.

A hotkey to toggling the dispatcher has recently been added in 1.14.6.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”