Limit Trains Signal ignored.

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Lejoni
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Limit Trains Signal ignored.

Post by Lejoni »

I might just be making a stupid mistake.

I have the limit trains signal set on a constant combinator, connected with a green wire to the input (lamp) on the stations, for both the requester station and provider station to 1.
And still it keeps sending both my trains to the same places.

Which in turn makes the second one timeout.

Also having a problem that the signal out (constant combinatior looking part of station) are sometimes not providing what it is delivering, at the requester station, so the filter inserters don't get there signal.
In these cases it does till provide a train cart signal and a locomotive signal. But the train cart signal is 14 which does not make any sense to me. Not sure if this is related to them timing out or not.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Limit Trains Signal ignored.

Post by Optera »

Lejoni wrote:I might just be making a stupid mistake.

I have the limit trains signal set on a constant combinator, connected with a green wire to the input (lamp) on the stations, for both the requester station and provider station to 1.
And still it keeps sending both my trains to the same places.

Which in turn makes the second one timeout.
Check your circuit.
LTN correctly limits number of trains to limit trains.
Also having a problem that the signal out (constant combinatior looking part of station) are sometimes not providing what it is delivering, at the requester station, so the filter inserters don't get there signal.
In these cases it does till provide a train cart signal and a locomotive signal. But the train cart signal is 14 which does not make any sense to me. Not sure if this is related to them timing out or not.
Description wrote: Constant Combinator: (signal output)
  • train composition: position of wagons & locomotives in parked train (all stops)
    binary encoded signal of train composition up to 31 carriages with lsb at the train stop. More information about binary encoding here
  • Expected train inventory after un-/loading is complete. (only Requester & Provider)
To get train inventory for loading/unloading use the train stop set to read inventory as shown in the design thread and demo.

Lejoni
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lejoni »

Optera wrote:
Lejoni wrote:I might...
Check your circuit.
LTN correctly limits number of trains to limit trains.
Also having a problem...
Description wrote: Constant Combinator: (signal output)
  • train composition: position of wagons & locomotives in parked train (all stops)
    binary encoded signal of train composition up to 31 carriages with lsb at the train stop. More information about binary encoding here
  • Expected train inventory after un-/loading is complete. (only Requester & Provider)
To get train inventory for loading/unloading use the train stop set to read inventory as shown in the design thread and demo.
I will double check all wiring when I get home from work. But is it correct that the limit trains signal should be connected to the "lamp" part of the station, with a green wire?
And should it work both on requester station and provider station?

I might just have been dreaming that the station gives a signal for what items are being delivered. Maybe it always was only given at the provider station?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Lejoni wrote:But is it correct that the limit trains signal should be connected to the "lamp" part of the station,
yes
with a green wire?
red will also work
And should it work both on requester station and provider station?
yes
I might just have been dreaming that the station gives a signal for what items are being delivered. Maybe it always was only given at the provider station?
1.3.0 removed the previous way of showing items to load as positive and unload as negative values.
With 0.15 reading inventory from train stops this reduced the required combinators for count perfect loading/unload setups to 1. LTN requires count perfect loading/unloading to properly work anyway.

Lejoni
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lejoni »

I tore the stations down and rebuilt them. And now it works.
Wish there was a clearer way of seeing what wire is connected to what.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Enable debug options and display circuit ids.

Moving combinators around with Picker Extended also helps.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

I'm having the same issue and can't figure it out. I've rebuilt everything and still run into the same issue.

I have it limited to 2 and there are 8 trains waiting to go to the station now.

Maybe I'm missing something basic?

Any help is appreciated.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

As always I can't help you if you don't provide the logfile.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

I'm unsure which log file you need. The only one I can find with anything in it is this one.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(131.39 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TKM wrote:I'm unsure which log file you need. The only one I can find with anything in it is this one.
Find script-output directory - either in Factorio folder (zip variant) or in AppData's Factorio folder near log file.
There should be folder or LTN log there - I'm not sure if Optera made folder there or not.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

The only thing in script-output is Nanobots. Nothing else. I looked in AppData and Install dir and found nothing relating to LTN other than the mod itself.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

Could it maybe be that once trains time out, they no longer count towards the limit?
I think that might be the issue here.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

TKM wrote:I'm unsure which log file you need. The only one I can find with anything in it is this one.
That's the correct logfile.
Which stop has the problem?
TKM wrote:Could it maybe be that once trains time out, they no longer count towards the limit?
I think that might be the issue here.
Deliveries should never time out, if they do there's a configuration or design error.
If your network is very large you have to increase delivery time out in mod settings.
If it's just congested that too will mitigate the effect, but the source, the congestion, should be fixed too.

Delivery time out exists to issues from deliveries that have not been properly deleted after a delivery has completed.
Without it orphaned deliveries would forever reserve items at their provider and promise items to their requester. It also prevents bloating the save file, but provider and requester would stop working long before that becomes an issue.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

I believe they are timing out because I'm not producing enough steel, and finish loading was on.
I turned off finish loading and it SEEMS to fix the issue.
Does time out occur if a train is idle for over the set amount of time, or is there some other condition that must be met?
The stop in question is called "LTN(P) - Steel"

*Edit*
I think I've fixed the issue by setting a better provide threshold.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

TKM wrote:I believe they are timing out because I'm not producing enough steel, and finish loading was on.
I turned off finish loading and it SEEMS to fix the issue.
Does time out occur if a train is idle for over the set amount of time, or is there some other condition that must be met?
The stop in question is called "LTN(P) - Steel"

*Edit*
I think I've fixed the issue by setting a better provide threshold.
Each delivery stores the tick it was started. Delivery Time out occurs when game.tick - delivery.started > delivery timeout.

Using sensible thresholds is the best way to prevent problems with finish loading an timeouts.

TKM
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TKM »

So perhaps I'm not understand providers / requesters.

I have a LTN station called LTN(P) - Iron OLD which loads iron old onto a train.
Would this would be considers a provider?
If yes, I have a constant combinator giving a Provide Threshold of 8.0k.
Is this the right kind of threshold for this stop?
If yes, why did LTN send a train to pickup 7687 rather than 8000?
Do Requester thresholds also need to be setup on the requesting station for this to work properly?

Thanks for your help!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

TKM wrote:So perhaps I'm not understand providers / requesters.

I have a LTN station called LTN(P) - Iron OLD which loads iron old onto a train.
Depends on train capacity. For single item deliveries I recommend setting thresholds to the capacity of the largest train serving the station to maximize train utilization.
Do Requester thresholds also need to be setup on the requesting station for this to work properly?

Thanks for your help!
With default 1k request threshold and 8k provide threshold delivered amounts can be anything from 1k to train capacity depending on requested amount.
See the graph in the description for a better explanation on how thresholds interact.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

TKM wrote:So perhaps I'm not understand providers / requesters.

Thanks for your help!
A 8k provide threshold means the station is only considered as provider when it has 8k items buffered. It does not mean requests will be 8k. In your case the destination station has a lower request threshold and only needs 7687 items. Or the train doesn't have more space due to reserved space.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”