old LTN discussion thread

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

NiftyManiac
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.14] Logistic Train Network 0.9.1

Post by NiftyManiac »

Optera wrote:What you say doesn't match with the log you provided. The log clearly shows alternating iron and copper ore shipments to Ore dropoff, Crellas and Damian Mulligan.
Hmm?
Line 29: iron-ore order is made, Whiro>>Ore dropoff
Line 62: copper-ore order is made, Matt>>Ore dropoff
Line 64: iron-ore delivery is made, Whiro>>Ore dropoff
???: copper-ore delivery never happens.

Do a ctrl-f on "Creating Delivery"; there's not a single copper delivery made during that log. Also, I was looking at the depot and the schedules of trains leaving... nobody went to copper. I explained why in my last post.
Optera wrote:If it's never filling to the point where requested amounts are satisfied your throughput is too low and no amount of coding on my end will help you.
My request is based on what I want to receive at the train station. I'd expect the trains to do their best to satisfy the requests to the best of their ability; I don't want to deliberately force iron to stick around at the station just so the scheduler can decide to use copper. I get what you're saying, but right now if a station requests multiple items from different locations, only one item will ever be fulfilled as long as the request remains active. And which item is fulfilled is currently undefined behavior. I'm just suggesting that this undefined behavior be replaced with the same consistent set of rules used for choosing a provider station, which is what I did in the pull request.
Optera wrote:PS: You should rename your stops to meaningful, unique names.
Haha, no can do! I can't automate stop renaming, and everything that can't be automated must die.
Optera wrote:Generated Backer Names are NOT unique and will mess up train schedules.
Oh fuck. I kinda hoped they tacked on numbers or something at the end when they ran out. Well, looks like I'm in the market for a circuit-based trainstop renaming mod! (good thing justarandomgeek just released one, I'll need to check it out)

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.14] Logistic Train Network 0.9.2

Post by obuw »

This looks like a mod that would really help with my train issues. But I was a bit confused by the description, with those combinators and whatnot, so I'm not sure exactly what the mod does?

I'd like to have a single unloading ("depot?") station in my base, and multiple mining outposts feeding it. Then when the depot gets below 10k iron, the train goes to the iron mine to bring 5k more iron. Same for copper, stone, coal, etc. Is this possible to do with this mod? How hard would it be / how exactly would I need to do it?
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

ArienYolocron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.14] Logistic Train Network 0.9.1

Post by ArienYolocron »

Optera wrote:
ArienYolocron wrote:Hi i seem to be having an issue with my logistics stations and tank trains. i have my tanks connected properly to be set as supply and requesting stations but my L-T train will not automate, i have also sent it to both stations in hopes of it creating a schedule?
With that amount of information I can only give you the generic hints.

[*]Only trains parked in automatic mode at an LTN-stop with set depot signal and matching length and cargo type are used[/list]
Thats what i needed to know

Also Does each train really need its own depot, i have multiple trains trying to use the same station blocking traffic.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

obuw wrote:This looks like a mod that would really help with my train issues. But I was a bit confused by the description, with those combinators and whatnot, so I'm not sure exactly what the mod does?

I'd like to have a single unloading ("depot?") station in my base, and multiple mining outposts feeding it. Then when the depot gets below 10k iron, the train goes to the iron mine to bring 5k more iron. Same for copper, stone, coal, etc. Is this possible to do with this mod? How hard would it be / how exactly would I need to do it?
Depots are train storage, you need provider and requester for delivering items.
ArienYolocron wrote:Also Does each train really need its own depot, i have multiple trains trying to use the same station blocking traffic.
As I explained many times already, each train should be able to properly finish a delivery by returning to it's depot.

Base train mechanics apply to all LTN controlled trains.
Trains will go to the nearest stop with the name in the schedule. => naming all depot stops the same allows trains to freely choose a depot. You can get away with less depot space than trains if some are always running.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Okay, so I need a requester stop and a provider stop just like the logistics network.

But for instance if I request 10000 iron and then the system goes down to 9995, will the train go and retrieve just 5 iron, like drones do? That would be kinda wasteful. Or does it go get a full wagon of iron once it's there? (Or can you configure that somehow?)
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by system »

Everyone got desync in MP when removing some cargo wagons or locomotives. In SP just error printed, and game continues to work.

Here is Error that printed before desync : [LTN] Error (UpdateStopParkedTrain): couldn't assign train id

Screenshot: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A374CD34F/

List of mods (few version may not be updated, in the list)

There are few 5 basic stations, ~50 basic signals, ~4 trains on map.
modlist

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

After update to 0.9.2 LTN suddenly stops working: Load provided save and wait some minutes.

I can upload also the previous save (0.9.0), which seems to work much longer after update.

You don't need all mods! I think LTN is all you really need to reproduce it.

BTW: I have a problem with this map: LTN doesn't provide fast enough but waits sometimes some minutes, before it sends a new train. Can be seen best on Central Bulk 2 (Iron Plates). I thought I can reduce this waiting time by reducing dispatcher_update_interval. But this seems not to work. Indeed sometimes I cannot reproduce what it does (For example delivers some 3 fast belts from Central Supply 1 to Central Supply 3, which is in my eyes not possible).
Attachments
World18.42-GoForSteel.zip
(29.95 MiB) Downloaded 106 times
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

obuw wrote:Okay, so I need a requester stop and a provider stop just like the logistics network.

But for instance if I request 10000 iron and then the system goes down to 9995, will the train go and retrieve just 5 iron, like drones do? That would be kinda wasteful. Or does it go get a full wagon of iron once it's there? (Or can you configure that somehow?)
OP answers your questions.
system wrote:Everyone got desync in MP when removing some cargo wagons or locomotives. In SP just error printed, and game continues to work.

Here is Error that printed before desync : [LTN] Error (UpdateStopParkedTrain): couldn't assign train id

Do the desyncs always happen when LTN complains about being unable to assign a train id?
What did you do to produce the "unable to assign train id" error?
Was the train used before or was it one never used in LTN?
ssilk wrote:After update to 0.9.2 LTN suddenly stops working: Load provided save and wait some minutes.

I can upload also the previous save (0.9.0), which seems to work much longer after update.

You don't need all mods! I think LTN is all you really need to reproduce it.

BTW: I have a problem with this map: LTN doesn't provide fast enough but waits sometimes some minutes, before it sends a new train. Can be seen best on Central Bulk 2 (Iron Plates). I thought I can reduce this waiting time by reducing dispatcher_update_interval. But this seems not to work. Indeed sometimes I cannot reproduce what it does (For example delivers some 3 fast belts from Central Supply 1 to Central Supply 3, which is in my eyes not possible).
I have the map running for 10 minutes now.
Trains instantly rush off as soon as they enter the depots.

The way you connect logistic network readouts to my smart loading stations causes those pointless deliveries. You need a hysteresis (or set min delivery size to 50)

PS: Feeding the whole logistic network content to stops with red wire is the worst case scenario for update time. Every stop merges all red signals into green before checking every signal if it's provided or requested.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I de-installed Smart Trains Mod. This seems to fix this bug. Fun again... ;)
Optera wrote: The way you connect logistic network readouts to my smart loading stations causes those pointless deliveries. You need a hysteresis (or set min delivery size to 50)
Well, a hysteresis, hmm, hmmm, no. :)

That is exactly what I don't want. I want to deliver 1 item, if one item is missing yet. Think to roboports or satellites: They are expensive. I don't want to wait, until there are enough to deliver. And see the far outposts? I want/need/must have to have the supply items ASAP. Also the other way around: If there are some unused items left in an outpost: Use them for another outpost. But not more.
(BTW: That works really great, what's just missing is a device, that measures the requirements in a network and can order that from the central.)

What I need is a regulator, that takes 20 seconds to switch on for one part but only 2 seconds for 100 and only 1/2 for 1000. Something like a regulator in heatings as combinator. (Hm. You could internally handle that like so...)
PS: Feeding the whole logistic network content to stops with red wire is the worst case scenario for update time. Every stop merges all red signals into green before checking every signal if it's provided or requested.
Oh. that with the green wire I didn't know. Some message would be useful to avoid that, if you try to plug red wire into the lamp.

But for the logistic-stuff I've no better solution. Can only provide things in the logistic network, if I know how much are in. And also here again: I don't need so much changes per second. Such a regulator would be super for this. And I don't want to produce too much, I want a as-lean-as-possible-just-in-time-production.

PS: All that outposts you see I created within some hours (I didn't hurry and watched TV while doing it). With all my former games it was impossible to do this THAT fast. I think Logistic Trains is a must have for the vanilla after v1.0. ;)

system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by system »

Optera wrote:
system wrote:Everyone got desync in MP when removing some cargo wagons or locomotives. In SP just error printed, and game continues to work.

Do the desyncs always happen when LTN complains about being unable to assign a train id?
What did you do to produce the "unable to assign train id" error?
Was the train used before or was it one never used in LTN?
Yes, in MP desync always happens.
Place 2 cargo (connected), removing one of them seems to generate error. It was never used in LTN (as i don't have LTN items yet).

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

system wrote:Yes, in MP desync always happens.
Place 2 cargo (connected), removing one of them seems to generate error. It was never used in LTN (as i don't have LTN items yet).
During testing I did manage to get a random desync once, right when joining an existing save, but I can't reproduce it.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ssilk wrote:I de-installed Smart Trains Mod. This seems to fix this bug. Fun again... ;)
Good to know. I've never tested these two together as one pretty much renders the other pointless.
Optera wrote: The way you connect logistic network readouts to my smart loading stations causes those pointless deliveries. You need a hysteresis (or set min delivery size to 50)
Well, a hysteresis, hmm, hmmm, no. :)
That is exactly what I don't want. I want to deliver 1 item, if one item is missing yet. Think to roboports or satellites: They are expensive. I don't want to wait, until there are enough to deliver. And see the far outposts? I want/need/must have to have the supply items ASAP. Also the other way around: If there are some unused items left in an outpost: Use them for another outpost. But not more.
(BTW: That works really great, what's just missing is a device, that measures the requirements in a network and can order that from the central.)

What I need is a regulator, that takes 20 seconds to switch on for one part but only 2 seconds for 100 and only 1/2 for 1000. Something like a regulator in heatings as combinator. (Hm. You could internally handle that like so...)

But for the logistic-stuff I've no better solution. Can only provide things in the logistic network, if I know how much are in. And also here again: I don't need so much changes per second. Such a regulator would be super for this. And I don't want to produce too much, I want a as-lean-as-possible-just-in-time-production.
If I recall correctly when bots pick up items from active providers they are not counted as being inside the logistic network until it drops the items in a storage chest.

It's the worst way to do it, except all other ways to do it are even worse...
No, not really. I'm using constant combinators set to provide 1k of each item that should be shipped to outposts. That cuts down available items roughly by half.
My outposts are set to min delivery size of 5. I also filter with a decider for different stack sizes. e.g. belts are requested in full 50 stacks, roboports in 5 stacks. It's a shitty work to set it up once, but prevents shipping too much of expensive items while preventing cheap belts being shipped in 10 shipments of 5 belts each.
Oh. that with the green wire I didn't know. Some message would be useful to avoid that, if you try to plug red wire into the lamp.
any mention of it would only confuse any non developer using this mod, while devs should know how merging multiple signals is done. ;)
PS: All that outposts you see I created within some hours (I didn't hurry and watched TV while doing it). With all my former games it was impossible to do this THAT fast. I think Logistic Trains is a must have for the vanilla after v1.0. ;)
Yes, it really speeds up my outpost building too. I used to drive in with my FARL, call for a dedicated outpost bulding trains standing ready in my PAX depot, semi manually build the outpost with the material from the train and curse when I lack 1 inserter or red belt.
Now I have one blueprint for the station and the mats for building said station in my FARL. Everything else is being shipped and built automatically.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Optera wrote:
de-installed Smart Trains Mod. This seems to fix this bug. Fun again... ;)
Good to know. I've never tested these two together as one pretty much renders the other pointless.
Well, it is eventually so, that there is something, which is not deterministic. I have had some situations, where I saved the world and let it run a while after that before I quit the game and when I loaded the world the next day I thought "Hm, this is bit different than yesterday?". But I cannot put a finger on it.
If I recall correctly when bots pick up items from active providers they are not counted as being inside the logistic network until it drops the items in a storage chest.
Yes. That's working like so. There are 2 or 3 suggestions about this, that this is should be counted as it belongs to the logistic network, when it moves just from one chest to another (typical: From active provider to storage chest).
That's what I mean: We need something for the TRUE request inside a logistic network.

And I come back to my regulator-idea: A regulator - like in a heating - might be able to solve that. And more, for example order more belts, if the order is rising. For example if he currently orders 1000 belts and you place a blueprint which needs another 100 belts he will order 1150, cause he awaits, that you need some more when you place more BP's.
It's the worst way to do it, except all other ways to do it are even worse...
No, not really. I'm using constant combinators set to provide 1k of each item that should be shipped to outposts. That cuts down available items roughly by half.
My outposts are set to min delivery size of 5. I also filter with a decider for different stack sizes. e.g. belts are requested in full 50 stacks, roboports in 5 stacks. It's a shitty work to set it up once, but prevents shipping too much of expensive items while preventing cheap belts being shipped in 10 shipments of 5 belts each.
Well, again this should be done by a special device. Such a regulator as I described can for example look simply for the stacksize of each item and tries to make a good guess. Or it can look to the recipe and estimate the VALUE of an item by counting the number of items needed to produce it and makes the order-size dependent to that. And it can include a good default for any item-type: For example: If you need 100 belts it also requests 10 underground belts and 10 splitters of the same type, cause you might need them and it doesn't cost so much. Just good default behavior.
Yes, it really speeds up my outpost building too. I used to drive in with my FARL, call for a dedicated outpost bulding trains standing ready in my PAX depot, semi manually build the outpost with the material from the train and curse when I lack 1 inserter or red belt.
Now I have one blueprint for the station and the mats for building said station in my FARL. Everything else is being shipped and built automatically.
As me. I used FARL and placed a monster-blueprint. And then built up just the supply-station with my personal roboport. After 2 mins the first train is requested and after that it takes 5 mins or so until the whole outpost is built. Fantastic. Forget about the ideas about Rocket-Supply and so on. I just need to test out, how this works out when the distances are much farther (like 10 kilometers or so).
That took sometimes hours with different approach. Plus: I can refill my FARL and continue from where I where, instead of returning back.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ssilk wrote: Yes. That's working like so. There are 2 or 3 suggestions about this, that this is should be counted as it belongs to the logistic network, when it moves just from one chest to another (typical: From active provider to storage chest).
That's what I mean: We need something for the TRUE request inside a logistic network.

And I come back to my regulator-idea: A regulator - like in a heating - might be able to solve that. And more, for example order more belts, if the order is rising. For example if he currently orders 1000 belts and you place a blueprint which needs another 100 belts he will order 1150, cause he awaits, that you need some more when you place more BP's.

Well, again this should be done by a special device. Such a regulator as I described can for example look simply for the stacksize of each item and tries to make a good guess. Or it can look to the recipe and estimate the VALUE of an item by counting the number of items needed to produce it and makes the order-size dependent to that. And it can include a good default for any item-type: For example: If you need 100 belts it also requests 10 underground belts and 10 splitters of the same type, cause you might need them and it doesn't cost so much. Just good default behavior.
Any improvement allowing more fine control over automatic processes is welcome.

A Regulator the way you proposed should be a stand alone mod. Compared to LTN it does sound pretty straight forward. I might get to it when I need some relaxing coding.

Getting the TRUE requests and contents of a logistic network, including items in transit or requested by blueprints, has to be added to the base game.
In a futile attempt to make deliveries to outposts even more versatile I tried writing a combinator returning all items needed to revive blueprints in its logistic network. Sadly the way blueprints are exposed makes this impossible without scanning the surface for all ghosts and then comparing if they are inside the range of a roboport.

Phobos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.14] Logistic Train Network 0.9.3

Post by Phobos »

Hi
Könnte mir einer bitte erklären wie ich das richtig einstelle ?
Im Depot habe ich folgendes
3 Passive Anbieterkisten die mit den roten Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen sind, in den Kisten sind je 200 Kupferplatten , Eisenplatten und Stahlträger.
3 Filternde Stapelgreifarme mit ein Grünen Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen.
Ein Konstanter Kombinator mit ein Roten Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen
Im Kombinator habe ich eingestellt "Stop is Depot (Bolean)"

Ein Zug mir den Namen des Depots steht im Automatic mode an der Haltestelle. Der Zug hat 1 Waggon zwischen 2 Diesellokomotiven
Lampe am LTN leuchtet Blau.

Am Ziel habe ich alles gleich verkabelt aber im Konstanter Kombinator habe ich -100 Stahlträger eingetragen. Die Lampe leuchtet grün aber der Zug bewegt sich nicht.

Vielen dank schon mal.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Phobos wrote:Hi
3 Passive Anbieterkisten die mit den roten Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen sind, in den Kisten sind je 200 Kupferplatten , Eisenplatten und Stahlträger.
3 Filternde Stapelgreifarme mit ein Grünen Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen.
Ein Konstanter Kombinator mit ein Roten Kabel an der Lampe des LTN angeschlossen

Ein Zug mir den Namen des Depots steht im Automatic mode an der Haltestelle. Der Zug hat 1 Waggon zwischen 2 Diesellokomotiven

Am Ziel habe ich alles gleich verkabelt aber im Konstanter Kombinator habe ich -100 Stahlträger eingetragen. Die Lampe leuchtet grün aber der Zug bewegt sich nicht.

Vielen dank schon mal.
Du brauchst mindestens 3 stops.
  • Depot: Stellplatz für Züge, kann weder anfordern noch bereitstellen.
    vergleichbar mit Roboport
  • Provider Station, stellt Gegenstände bereitstellt
    entspricht passive provider chest
  • Requester Station, fordert Gegenstände an
    entspricht requester chest
LTN ist allerdings weit flexibler als die Kisten. Ein stop kann gleichzeitig Provider und Requester sein, allerdings sind Depot immer ausschließlich Depots.

Phobos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Phobos »

Optera wrote:
Phobos wrote:Hi

Vielen dank schon mal.
Du brauchst mindestens 3 stops.
  • Depot: Stellplatz für Züge, kann weder anfordern noch bereitstellen.
    vergleichbar mit Roboport
  • Provider Station, stellt Gegenstände bereitstellt
    entspricht passive provider chest
  • Requester Station, fordert Gegenstände an
    entspricht requester chest
LTN ist allerdings weit flexibler als die Kisten. Ein stop kann gleichzeitig Provider und Requester sein, allerdings sind Depot immer ausschließlich Depots.
Danke
Habe jetzt eine 3te Station aufgebaut ein LTN mit Konstant Kombinator und habe bei den Stop ist Depot eingestellt. Der Zug steht jetzt bei der Station mit Blauer Lampe.
Was vorher mein Depot war steht jetzt nur noch im Kombinator Provider Priority 1.
Nur leider bewegt sich bei mir immer noch nichts vielleicht doch noch was falsch verkabelt.
Werde mal weiter testen

system
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by system »

I tested more, and able to reproduce desync bug (mentioned earlier) without your mod. It is probably one of the other train mods that i have.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Phobos wrote: Danke
Habe jetzt eine 3te Station aufgebaut ein LTN mit Konstant Kombinator und habe bei den Stop ist Depot eingestellt. Der Zug steht jetzt bei der Station mit Blauer Lampe.
Was vorher mein Depot war steht jetzt nur noch im Kombinator Provider Priority 1.
Nur leider bewegt sich bei mir immer noch nichts vielleicht doch noch was falsch verkabelt.
Werde mal weiter testen
Hast du den Zug zum neuen depot geschickt? vergiss den Kommentar, ich hab die blaue Lampe überlesen.
Kann sich nur mehr um einen verdratungs oder Konfigurationsfehler handeln.
Hast du minimum Delivery Size am Requester auf weniger als die angeforderte Menge gesetzt? der default 1k.
z.B min Delivery Size = 200 und Eisenerz = -100 wird nie liefern. (Es sei denn du aktivierst Best Effort in der config.)
system wrote:I tested more, and able to reproduce desync bug (mentioned earlier) without your mod. It is probably one of the other train mods that i have.
Thanks for the heads up. Please let me know if you find out which one so i can add it to known bugs (I should probably add a section "incompatible mods" by now).
Did you manage to get a reliable desync with only LTN?

Phobos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Phobos »

Optera wrote:
Phobos wrote: Danke
Werde mal weiter testen
Hast du den Zug zum neuen depot geschickt? vergiss den Kommentar, ich hab die blaue Lampe überlesen.
Kann sich nur mehr um einen verdratungs oder Konfigurationsfehler handeln.
Hast du minimum Delivery Size am Requester auf weniger als die angeforderte Menge gesetzt? der default 1k.
z.B min Delivery Size = 200 und Eisenerz = -100 wird nie liefern. (Es sei denn du aktivierst Best Effort in der config.)

So der Zug fährt jetzt.
Das mit den Min Delivery Size hatte ich auch grad rausgefunden. Hatte mich nur bis grad gewundert warum er bei 1 immer weiter gefahren ist bis ich dein Beitrag gelesen habe. Steht jetzt auf 50.
Er macht auch schon fast das was er soll.
Habe im mein Lager eine Kiste mit Eisen und Kupferplatten er gibt die Meldung raus das er 2 Stacks holen soll aber er lädt nur die Eisenplatte ein und der Filter wird nicht auf Kupferplatten umgeschaltet.
Im Kombinator habe ich je 1 Eisen- und Kupferplatte eingestellt.

EDIT:
Ich glaub ich darf in mein Lager nicht mischen, muss für jedes Item ein eigenes Lager anlegen.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”