Loading/Delieverling too much...

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

Ghosted
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Loading/Delieverling too much...

Post by Ghosted »

I am recently new to LTN but am attempting a modular rail build. I've spent a couple of days searching and attempting to find videos but I can't seem to find the solution to my problem. I am pretty sure its related to how I am wiring things up. The text that LTN creates look accurate I.E. Deliver x amount from station y and deliver it to station z. The problem I see is that the train stays too long at the loading station and collect almost twice what was needed. So i believe my problem is at the provider station. I downloaded the LTN Demo map just I am still pretty lost on the circuit network except for basic designs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Loading/Delieverling too much...

Post by golfmiketango »

This is "One of Those Things that is Hard in Factorio." It's hard because:
  • Trains have no connection to the logistic network. They will stop and wait until whatever condition you set but nowhere can you set "until you have this list of things"
  • Stack inserters, and even regular inserters, like to operate in multiples of items.
  • Even if you set the stack size of your inserters to one manually, you probably have multiple inserters putting stuff in your train. Therefore, they can all stuff things in at once and easily go over the amount you wanted to go in
  • It's a pain in the caboose to go into a train-car and restrict all the train-car inventory boxes one-by-one. Also, even if you do this, it's a static configuration that will only do one thing. As soon as you want a dynamic setup that can do multiple things, it's a non-solution.
  • Combinators are hard
However, there are solutions that work. For your particular case, I get the impression you want 1000 plastic in each car. You don't need circuits for that, because the quantity you want happens to be a multiple of the item stack size. If I recall correctly, plastic stacks to 100 per inventory slot. So if you want to move 1000 plastic, you are in luck: that's 10 inventory slots. All you need to do is restrict the inventory of the car to 10 slots (or five, if I got it wrong and plastic stacks to 200). You can do that like shown in the picture (just pretend the cargo wagon is a big box, the interface is the same):

So, you click on the cargo wagon to open up the interface, click on the red "X" and then drag out the desired number of slots to restrict them from being used (if we are going for ten slots, that would be everything but the first row), and then click again to finalize your "order". Now you can just set your train to leave "when full" and it will interpret that first row of item slots filling up as "full."

For a non-multiple of the stack size, or a dynamic size that comes from the circuit network, or a bunch of different types of items, or something really crazy like, a dynamically determined bundle of quantities of items taken from the circuit network at the moment the train stops, there are also solutions, but they do get harder and harder to accomplish as your needs become more complex!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

golfmiketango wrote:Trains have no connection to the logistic network. They will stop and wait until whatever condition you set but nowhere can you set "until you have this list of things"

See schedules generated by LTN on how to set conditions for exact amounts of x.
Stack inserters, and even regular inserters, like to operate in multiples of items.

Even if you set the stack size of your inserters to one manually, you probably have multiple inserters putting stuff in your train. Therefore, they can all stuff things in at once and easily go over the amount you wanted to go in
LTN offers the locked slot per wagon signal. Set it to inserters * stacksize so LTN knows how much excess it can expect.
It's a pain in the caboose to go into a train-car and restrict all the train-car inventory boxes one-by-one. Also, even if you do this, it's a static configuration that will only do one thing. As soon as you want a dynamic setup that can do multiple things, it's a non-solution.

However, there are solutions that work. For your particular case, I get the impression you want 1000 plastic in each car. You don't need circuits for that, because the quantity you want happens to be a multiple of the item stack size. If I recall correctly, plastic stacks to 100 per inventory slot. So if you want to move 1000 plastic, you are in luck: that's 10 inventory slots. All you need to do is restrict the inventory of the car to 10 slots (or five, if I got it wrong and plastic stacks to 200). You can do that like shown in the picture (just pretend the cargo wagon is a big box, the interface is the same):
Never lock slots or set filters. It breaks LTNs calculations.

Ghosted
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ghosted »

golfmiketango wrote:This is "One of Those Things that is Hard in Factorio." It's hard because:
  • Trains have no connection to the logistic network. They will stop and wait until whatever condition you set but nowhere can you set "until you have this list of things"
  • Stack inserters, and even regular inserters, like to operate in multiples of items.
  • Even if you set the stack size of your inserters to one manually, you probably have multiple inserters putting stuff in your train. Therefore, they can all stuff things in at once and easily go over the amount you wanted to go in
  • It's a pain in the caboose to go into a train-car and restrict all the train-car inventory boxes one-by-one. Also, even if you do this, it's a static configuration that will only do one thing. As soon as you want a dynamic setup that can do multiple things, it's a non-solution.
  • Combinators are hard

So, you click on the cargo wagon to open up the interface, click on the red "X" and then drag out the desired number of slots to restrict them from being used (if we are going for ten slots, that would be everything but the first row), and then click again to finalize your "order". Now you can just set your train to leave "when full" and it will interpret that first row of item slots filling up as "full."

For a non-multiple of the stack size, or a dynamic size that comes from the circuit network, or a bunch of different types of items, or something really crazy like, a dynamically determined bundle of quantities of items taken from the circuit network at the moment the train stops, there are also solutions, but they do get harder and harder to accomplish as your needs become more complex!
These are all vanilla topics that I believe I already know. My questions is specific to the LTN mod.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Ghosted wrote:These are all vanilla topics that I believe I already know. My questions is specific to the LTN mod.
Sorry I forgot to answer your original question.

Your loading stations is using dumb inserter.
Use filter (stack) inserter wired up against a counter to load only requested amount as seen in demo map and design thread.

Ghosted
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ghosted »

Optera wrote:
Ghosted wrote:These are all vanilla topics that I believe I already know. My questions is specific to the LTN mod.
Sorry I forgot to answer your original question.

Your loading stations is using dumb inserter.
Use filter (stack) inserter wired up against a counter to load only requested amount as seen in demo map and design thread.
Thanks for the help, I believe I have it working now after some careful reverse engineering from the demo map. I now have a it working with stack filter inserters wired to the output of the station.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Ah, my derp, I kinda completely missed that part, sorry for the noise.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”