Perfect Nuclear Cloverleaf v3, Modular 1-4 cores book : 40-480MW, All the bells and whistles

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Perfect Nuclear Cloverleaf v3, Modular 1-4 cores book : 40-480MW, All the bells and whistles

Post by gGeorg »

Target
design the perfect power plant in several points of view - reliability, efficiency, easy to use, build expense, UPS and design beauty.
Design incudes documentation of thermal balance, combinators and build expense. You might check why, or how it works, possibly find an improvement.
The blueprint book starts from 1 core power plant which could be upgraded on the same spot up to 4 cores. Blueprint design reserves the space in advance so you can plan your factory ahead without spending all the resources at once.
The blueprint book suits for early game by cheap start, also suits late game, as it fits into Megabase city block design(More on Nilaus's Youtube ).

The Perfect CloverLeaf book
contains 4 variants to choose from 40 / 160 / 280 / 480 MW . It is designed to be built on top of each other. When more power is needed, press Shift key and place the bigger one over an old.
It is belt based, but blueprint comes with a robo-attachment so its ready to go for bots. ( or just delete those two boxes on right top edge of blueprint and attach proper belt.)
It is friendly for pocket roboport build, so there is enough of space to let you walk inside.
It is saved with landfill, just for case.
It is compact square 56x57 tiles

Water supply
It has 6 ( 2x3 ) incoming water pipes from one (left) side, each pipe can be up to 200 pipe units long ( pipe_to_ground it gives up to 200/2*11=1100 tiles ) to achieve required flow. Simply attach 6 shore-pumps without additional pumping! So you can build it almost anywhere, no lake and heap of produced land fill needed.

Easy Activation
It autostarts - perfect automation. Wait till morning or until charge clock counts 200seconds (upper right combinator area).

Perfect output
dead straight line of 83 turbines producing 480MW sustainable output. Also, get notice, there is no drop when new cell is inserted, because cold interval is reduced to 1 tick (usual game performance is 60 ticks per second).
Chart

Lossless & Brownout prevention
Factorio CheatSheet says that 4 cores loss-less need 40 steam tanks. There is an inconspicuous note down-there "not including heat stored in the reactor or pipes (both heat and steam). "
That note means, you actually need 2 ( y e s, t w o :idea: ) steam tanks.
Heat capacity in details
Now, let's keep a minute of silence for design abominations who fallowed false path of Factorio CheatSheet .
We see ( -1,5 ) steam storages are missing to reach lossless balance. So add 2 steam storages is enough to achieve a lossless plant.
Why I used 4 storages

Fluid pump keeps turbines under pressure
Each turbine section, each leaf of the four-clover, is fed by a pump. It is for reasons:
1. turbines are under pressure so they produce 100% power to the last moment, up to the last unit of steam. There is no fade out, fade in time because of low steam level i.e. helps suppressing brownout when restarting power-plant.
2. pump allows fluid flow in one way, but no back. It means, production is separated from consumption, so no back waves and reverse waves in tubes to count i.e. UPS friendly.
3. pumps are controlled by the same signal as power-plant main switch, so they are pumping only when plant is ON i.e. UPS friendly.

Two power grids feature
when you get out of power (for some reason), you can chicken out and eventually re-start a power plant manually feeding fuel cells by hand. However, when design requires electric powered pumps to start the electric power-plant, it turns into classic Catch-22 situation.
Details
I used three solar panels and two accumulators (upper left corner) which is enough. If you are heading for an achievement "No_solar", feel free to replace it with a burner boiler and one steam engine.

Combinators
There are three circuitry
1. Fuel Cell Loading with Zero_cold_interval
2. Connecting power plant to grid and Wasteless
3. Control amount of fuel cells inside the plant

Bonus build Fuel cell (re)processing
a compact fuel cell (re)processing facility. It turns on itself only when needed and (re)produce as much fuel cells as needed. Fun to watch.
Picture+ BluePrint

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
******************************************************************************************
The Perfect Clover Leaf book
Because of size, blueprint is added as attachment
The_Perfect_Clover_Leaf_v3.txt
(81.73 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
1. download the text file
2. open in notepad, ctrl+A, ctrl+C
3. switch to game, press import blueprint button, ctrl+V, press OK
4. the power plant book is available in your library
You found an issue, improvement or just want say it works for you, let me know.
******************************************************************************************
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archived old versions
Edit: 2.12.2021
Latest Update: Version 3 released.
- better understanding of liquid flows allowed me reduce number of Steam storage tanks from 8 to 4, ( while all the features are unharmed)
- added a lamp to each tank showing low steam status
- one turbine removed (84 to 83) to reduce overspend steam. This reduce chance of core overheating paradox from highly unlikely to impossible
Last edited by gGeorg on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:52 am, edited 145 times in total.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Perfect Nuclear Cloverleaf, Book of modular 1-4 cores : 40-480MW, Losseless, two power grids, all the bells and whis

Post by Zool »

I like the general idea, but 2N-designs provide much better efficiency.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Perfect Nuclear Cloverleaf, Book of modular 1-4 cores : 40-480MW, Losseless, two power grids, all the bells and whis

Post by gGeorg »

Zool wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm
Lets assume you build quite large 20cores plant for 3GW
2N design
- you need a massive lake which is very hard to find on the default maps, or you need mods to dig up terrain
- you will need tons of landfill
- you create one large fluid system in one processor thread
- wide design with lots of gaps means the power efficiency per tile is lower
- due to neighbour bonus you get 380% bonus which is only 27% higher than CloverLeaf.
CloverLeaf
- you can build nearly anywhere
- you need no landfill
- you can build it very cheap due to one core start up
- it fits to city block design
- each power plant can run in own processor thread

Althous its possible to build endless powerplant, it has many drawbacks.
Last edited by gGeorg on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:12 pm
too many pipes.
Thank you for response. I find a way how to save 80 pipes and make design even smaller. I hope I can handle update the first post.

JayS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JayS »

gGeorg wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:47 pm
Is this true? Does the game run power production in parallel? Or the fluid pipes in parallel, specifically? I thought it didn't. I suppose the updates might be simpler due to less combined pipes, but that is not an issue that is inherent to 2N designs, you could probably design a 2N so the fluids are made of smaller, separate sections that still stack.
Don't look now, but there is a spider behind you.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

JayS wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 pm
gGeorg wrote:
Is this true? Does the game run power production in parallel? Or the fluid pipes in parallel, specifically? I thought it didn't. I suppose the updates might be simpler due to less combined pipes, but that is not an issue that is inherent to 2N designs, you could probably design a 2N so the fluids are made of smaller, separate sections that still stack.
viewtopic.php?p=535971#p535971
Thing is, heat consumes almost as much as steam. 2N design is massive system.

JayS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JayS »

gGeorg wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:17 pm
Ah, because all the reactors are connected in a 2N, does that mean they all share the same heat network? I didn't know that. I thought the heat network starts at the heat pipes, but they also connect through the reactors?
Don't look now, but there is a spider behind you.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

JayS wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:11 am
gGeorg wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:17 pm
Ah, because all the reactors are connected in a 2N, does that mean they all share the same heat network? I didn't know that. I thought the heat network starts at the heat pipes, but they also connect through the reactors?
Sure. You dont need to connect every core by a heat pipe to get heat out. Check the graphics, the core is built on the grid of heatpipes.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

gGeorg wrote:
Zool wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm
Lets assume you build quite large 20cores plant for 3GW
2N design
- you need a massive lake which is very hard to find on the default maps, or you need mods to dig up terrain
- due to neighbour bonus you get 380% bonus which is only 27% higher than CloverLeaf.
CloverLeaf
- you need no landfill

Althous its possible to build endless powerplant, it has many drawbacks.
Hang on, what gaps are you talking about in a 2N design? For that matter, how big a lake do you think you need? Sure, you need lots of landfill if you're doing it in a big lake, but all you really need is a lake that's twelve-to-fourteen tiles or so wide. That's pretty narrow.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

foamy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 pm
gGeorg wrote:
2N design
CloverLeaf
- you need no landfill
Hang on, what gaps are you talking about in a 2N design?
I think significant gaps are unavoidable with 2N designs where each tile contains two reactors. But more reactors per tile can reduce this.
foamy wrote:
For that matter, how big a lake do you think you need? Sure, you need lots of landfill if you're doing it in a big lake, but all you really need is a lake that's twelve-to-fourteen tiles or so wide. That's pretty narrow.
I assume you're thinking of 2N designs with embedded offshore pumps near the reactors. Assuming no mod to dig up terrain, to be more accurate, what you are saying is that you need a lake that can contain a rectangle of size 5Nx12 or 5Nx14.

A 2N design only makes sense if N is large, and while I don't think it is particularly hard to find a suitable lake for a 2N design generating a few tens of GW with default map settings, such a lake will typically be much wider and you must landfill not only almost all the rectangle (leaving holes for the offshore pumps) but also a significant amount on one or both sides.

Personally (each to their own as always), I like to broadly fit the terrain, so I see "build nearly anywhere" and "no landfill" as significant benefits, and designs like this are of interest (thanks for sharing, gGeorg).

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

foamy wrote:
gGeorg wrote:
2N design
My design is:
x(58) * y(58) = z(3364) tiles taken
2N design uses:
x(10) * y() = z() tiles taken
10 is size of two cores. Input y compute z then you will see what I mean gaps. :geek: Space per power output.
Last edited by gGeorg on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

SoShootMe wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:14 am
gGeorg wrote:
2N design
foamy wrote:
For that matter, how big a lake do you think you need? Sure, you need lots of landfill if you're doing it in a big lake, but all you really need is a lake that's twelve-to-fourteen tiles or so wide. That's pretty narrow.
I assume you're thinking of 2N designs with embedded offshore pumps near the reactors. Assuming no mod to dig up terrain, to be more accurate, what you are saying is that you need a lake that can contain a rectangle of size 5Nx12 or 5Nx14.

A 2N design only makes sense if N is large, and while I don't think it is particularly hard to find a suitable lake for a 2N design generating a few tens of GW with default map settings, such a lake will typically be much wider and you must landfill not only almost all the rectangle (leaving holes for the offshore pumps) but also a significant amount on one or both sides.
Right, I forgot the narrow design. Anyway as SoShootMe say it is still a hassle.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

gGeorg wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:18 am
foamy wrote:
gGeorg wrote:
2N design
My design is:
2N design uses:
x(10) * y() = z() tiles taken
10 is size of two cores. Input y compute z then you will see what I mean gaps. :geek: Space per power output.
I'm afraid I still don't understand what you're meaning. A 2N design should beat out your cloverleaf significantly on a power-per-tile basis; there's a lot of dead space in the corners of your layout, for example.

My 2N layout is 302 tiles wide; at the tileable length of 14 reactors, it occupies 71 tiles in the other dimension (the 1 excess is shared when tiled). That gives a total area of 21,442 tiles. 28 reactors in a 2N layout is 4320MW, so that's a power density of ~200kW/tile. Yours is ~142kW/tile.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

foamy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 am
gGeorg wrote:
My design is:
My 2N layout is 302 tiles wide; at the tileable length of 14 reactors, it occupies 71 tiles in the other dimension (the 1 excess is shared when tiled). That gives a total area of 21,442 tiles. 28 reactors in a 2N layout is 4320MW, so that's a power density of ~200kW/tile. Yours is ~142kW/tile.
mine is 483,06/3364=143,6kW/tile of sustainable output
so it is your 2N is 302 * 10 = 3020 tiles vs mine 3364
hmm. I could remove the fence and make one side more compressed so I get 57 * 55 = 3135 which gives 154kW/tile
Beauty of design would suffer, thou.

Well are yo sure the planed and real output of your design is the same?
I have watched Nilaus recently, he made an impressive 2N design but failed to deliver 100% efficiency because of fluid flow.
Is your design losseless, can switch off the grid and start up without outside power?
Can you post the B-print ?

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

gGeorg wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:49 am
foamy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 am
gGeorg wrote:
My design is:
mine is 483,06/3364=143,6kW/tile of sustainable output
so it is your 2N is 302 * 10 = 3020 tiles vs mine 3364
hmm. I could remove the fence and make one side more compressed so I get 57 * 55 = 3135 which gives 154kW/tile
Beauty of design would suffer, thou.

Well are yo sure the planed and real output of your design is the same?
I have watched Nilaus recently, he made an impressive 2N design but failed to deliver 100% efficiency because of fluid flow.
Is your design losseless, can switch off the grid and start up without outside power?
Can you post the B-print ?
It's actually on this very forum, and yes, I'm quite confident it can run at 100% (well -- nearly. There's a few ticks of delay potentially caused by circuit lag) output because I've tested it to do so. Like any nuclear reactor it needs some external power to boot up the inserters, but beyond that, no; it uses no pumps, so it only requires power to actually add and remove the fuel cells themselves. The inserters are wired to a separate power grid which you can render uninterruptible using the method of your choice -- solar, reserving some of the nuclear output, whatever.

Grant you, it's also not bot-friendly; belt-fed only.

(Note: Since I posted the print I came up with a much cleaner and more reliable way to time the fuel insertion for the reactors, but it reduces uptime marginally, by the time of one fast-inserter swing per fuel-cell cycle. I consider this acceptable)

As for losslessness, it can be made to be lossless if you really want; I explicitly included enough buffer capacity in the heat pipes to allow for it. My approach to that was to build a pilot reactor to measure steam throughput, and from there work out how hard the main reactor was working, and consequently when it needed to have fuel inserted. It's only worth it if you're building large, though.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

foamy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 am
It's actually on this very forum, and yes, I'm quite confident it can run at 100% (well -- nearly. There's a few ticks of delay potentially caused by circuit lag) output because I've tested it to do so.
800turbines times 5,82MW gives 4654MW but your output is 4,3GW. e.g. 300MW about 6% of capacity surplus for spikes. it s ok. Capacity for 28 cores is reached pumpless, it is a good achievement.
foamy wrote:
Like any nuclear reactor it needs some external power to boot up the inserters, but beyond that, no; it uses no pumps, so it only requires power to actually add and remove the fuel cells themselves. The inserters are wired to a separate power grid which you can render uninterruptible using the method of your choice -- solar, reserving some of the nuclear output, whatever.
so dual griid safety feature it is not included in blueprint.
foamy wrote:

As for losslessness, it can be made to be lossless if you really want; I explicitly included enough buffer capacity in the heat pipes to allow for it.
so losseless is not included in blueprint. As you ususaly set power plant with at least 20% surplus power for spikes, means you are losing at least this amount of efficiency.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary, your blueprint in real usage loosing at least 20% off its paper efficiency. Also, when you count power per tile density, you forgot to add tiles with logic & feeding. I think, for tile per watt efficiency fair metric should be used number of landfills used in blueprint. Assume flat terrain optimised for walking.
I can admit, usage of heat-pipes as storage for energy is smart. It is a seriously more expensive than steam tanks but for UPS it could be better. Dont know for sure thou.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

gGeorg wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm
foamy wrote:
It's actually on this very forum, and yes, I'm quite confident it can run at 100% (well -- nearly. There's a few ticks of delay potentially caused by circuit lag) output because I've tested it to do so.
800turbines times 5,82MW gives 4654MW but your output is 4,3GW. e.g. 300MW about 6% of capacity surplus for spikes. it s ok. Capacity for 28 cores is reached pumpless, it is a good achievement.
foamy wrote:
Like any nuclear reactor it needs some external power to boot up the inserters, but beyond that, no; it uses no pumps, so it only requires power to actually add and remove the fuel cells themselves. The inserters are wired to a separate power grid which you can render uninterruptible using the method of your choice -- solar, reserving some of the nuclear output, whatever.
so dual griid safety feature it is not included in blueprint.
It is -- the grids are explicitly separated. I left it up to the implementer to decide how to provide the boot power. My own practice was to hook into one of the turbines of the main reactor and use some circuitry to mode-switch whether that contributed to the main grid (normal operation) or was reserved for the reactor itself. Works fine if you have a reasonable capacitor bank on the main grid, say from a supplemental solar installation or something. Or, for powering from a dedicated solar array, an accumulator for every six and a half fast inserters (to cover the peak load of everything swinging at once), or roughly one per two reactors.

That's an additional four tiles for the accumulator added to the 302*5 of a reactor column, which is pretty trivial -- about 0.2% of the footprint of the reactor itself.

The actual energy used by a fast inserter swing, however, is around 20kJ. Consequently, each inserter, over a reactor cycle, has an average power drain of 500W (constant) + 20kJ/200s (swing), which is 600W on average. That means a single solar panel, which averages 42kW over a day, can drive ~70 fast inserters, or (since I use three inserters per reactor), approximately 23 reactors. 9/302*5*23/2= 0.05% of the reactor footprint.

These are trivial numbers that won't materially affect the efficiency figure, even if included.
gGeorg wrote:
foamy wrote:

As for losslessness, it can be made to be lossless if you really want; I explicitly included enough buffer capacity in the heat pipes to allow for it.
so losseless is not included in blueprint. As you ususaly set power plant with at least 20% surplus power for spikes, means you are losing at least this amount of efficiency.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary, your blueprint in real usage loosing at least 20% off its paper efficiency. Also, when you count power per tile density, you forgot to add tiles with logic & feeding. I think, for tile per watt efficiency fair metric should be used number of landfills used in blueprint. Assume flat terrain optimised for walking.
I can admit, usage of heat-pipes as storage for energy is smart. It is a seriously more expensive than steam tanks but for UPS it could be better. Dont know for sure thou.
I mean, if you're not running it to full utilization, obviously you don't get full power out of it, but the figure I quoted is for the maximum sustained power output -- from the reactors, the 4.3MW you can see in the power graph (it's actually 4340MW, mathematically, but the ingame display isn't precise enough to show that). But that's true of any power source and is irrelevant.

What I think you're saying, though, is that without additional stuff, the reactor will throw away energy by maxing out the cores before the fuel cells are fully consumed. And that's certainly a possibility, if no additional circuitry or controls are added. The reactor is built to allow those to be added, though. I have the bits for it posted in various places on the forum, but the fundamental piece is that they're fixed footprint costs -- and fairly small ones -- that are then amortized over the whole reactor array.

For example, the simple timing restriction can be done in a single combinator (more efficient and robust than the clocked version circuit-wise, although slightly laggier input wise; you lose one inserter swing's worth of reactor time in between each reactor cycle). Obviously, two tiles isn't a large price to pay for that.

Monitoring the buffer is a bit trickier, but can again be done in constant-space, and has some benefits over using tanks to do so to boot. It keys on the fact that all turbines on the same grid will experience the same proportional draw, so if you can measure the flow rate into one you know exactly what the loading is on all of them. And from there you can work out how much of a fuel cell's worth of energy has been consumed since the last one was inserted, and whether a new one needs to be added.

Because of this, you can insert fuel cells while all your heat exchangers are still producing and cut response lag to demand increases to the absolute minimum. This means that a sudden drop to null draw could result in some waste, since you're not actually fully draining the buffer, so some additional circuitry to catch that event and account for it in the buffer math is a good idea. But that's an unusual event in an actual working reactor; here's a half-hour's worth of tracking in a 1kSPM factory that the array (doubled) is powering. There's some supplemental solar and a lot of power-switching to disable beacons, so it's swingier than some people's just-run-everything-all-the-time approaches would be, even:

Last edited by foamy on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

foamy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:39 pm
I left it up to the implementer to decide how to provide the boot power. My own practice was to hook into one of the turbines of the main reactor and use some circuitry to mode-switch whether that contributed to the main grid (normal operation) or was reserved for the reactor itself.
The perfect powerplant is perfect. That is the target. Find the solution and implement it. In the implementation might be errors, or ineficiency and it takes sapece which again change the tile per watt density. BTW your suggestion to hook up a single turbine as source of independent grid means it is not independent. In case of issues it will fail. Yoour sggestion is like make a backup of your data in the same hard drive. :D
foamy wrote:
What I think you're saying, though, is that without additional stuff, the reactor will throw away energy by maxing out the cores before the fuel cells are fully consumed. And that's certainly a possibility, if no additional circuitry or controls are added. The reactor is built to allow those to be added, though.
Any build allows to add anything. Design you made waste fuel and is not losseles.
foamy wrote:
Monitoring the buffer is a bit trickier, And from there you can work out how much of a fuel cell's worth of energy has been consumed since the last one was inserted, and whether a new one needs to be added.
every design detail can be tricky. That is why I am curious when you are saying my design is better because power density, but it is only one parameter of perfect design. You omit safety, you omit efficiency, you omit initial expense, you omit even part of design to get smaller footprint when counting power density. I like theory crafting and design review, I am looking forward to your improved perfect 2N design. BTW I am working on laser defence wall with very low drain. Wen we finish power plant compettion, we can do next :-)

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

gGeorg wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:07 pm
foamy wrote:
I left it up to the implementer to decide how to provide the boot power. My own practice was to hook into one of the turbines of the main reactor and use some circuitry to mode-switch whether that contributed to the main grid (normal operation) or was reserved for the reactor itself.
The perfect powerplant is perfect. That is the target. Find the solution and implement it. In the implementation might be errors, or ineficiency and it takes sapece which again change the tile per watt density. BTW your suggestion to hook up a single turbine as source of independent grid means it is not independent. In case of issues it will fail. Yoour sggestion is like make a backup of your data in the same hard drive. :D
foamy wrote:
What I think you're saying, though, is that without additional stuff, the reactor will throw away energy by maxing out the cores before the fuel cells are fully consumed. And that's certainly a possibility, if no additional circuitry or controls are added. The reactor is built to allow those to be added, though.
Any build allows to add anything. Design you made waste fuel and is not losseles.
foamy wrote:
Monitoring the buffer is a bit trickier, And from there you can work out how much of a fuel cell's worth of energy has been consumed since the last one was inserted, and whether a new one needs to be added.
every design detail can be tricky. That is why I am curious when you are saying my design is better because power density, but it is only one parameter of perfect design. You omit safety, you omit efficiency, you omit initial expense, you omit even part of design to get smaller footprint when counting power density. I like theory crafting and design review, I am looking forward to your improved perfect 2N design. BTW I am working on laser defence wall with very low drain. Wen we finish power plant compettion, we can do next :-)
I chose not to include unnecessary things, but left open the ability for those things to be trivially added later by making sure the main reactor works. The only circumstance in which the reactor fails, with the correct control circuitry, whose cost is negligible over the size of the array -- and I've checked this by running it at beyond-maximum capacity -- is a complete cessation of fuel cell feed, something any reactor is vulnerable to. It is inherently far less vulnerable to a brownout spiral, because it uses no pumps; only a full blackout could take out the inserters even if they were not on a uninterruptible power source, and if they are then the reactor will always provide uninterrupted power. You can lock the two together with some accumulators and never, ever need to worry about supplying power. Again, the footprint cost of this is 0.25%. That's one part in 400; it is literally a rounding error.

This is the entire steam flow monitoring setup:

viewtopic.php?p=525807#p525807

The footprint of the circuitry to make use of it is negligible. I guess if your objection is that it isn't an all-in-one blueprint, fine, it isn't, but the actual impact on the power density is non-existent.

Return to “Energy Production”