Reactors control center

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Reactors control center

Post by orzelek »

After playing with reactors I made my own reactor setup with control center.
Control center picture
Whole setup
It's controlled using idea from one of threads here - two chests with one next to reactor always containing 1 unit of fuel.
On top left there is a constant combinator that controls whole setup. It has following signals:
Yellow: desired steam level in tanks
Black: emergency steam level
White: amount of storage tanks connected

To make it work you need to connect one or more tanks with steam (placed between heat exchangers and turbines) to red wire and set their amount on white signal. It can work with only 1 tank but it might be safer to have few of them on different branches with turbines.
When steam level in taks goes below yellow signal new unit of fuel will be placed in reactors. Steel chests with fuel will be reloaded when steam level is above the threshold again.
Emergency level should not be needed normally - if steam level goes beyond it it releases fuel to reactors until steam goes above it again. It can happen if something goes wrong with system - either overloading it or not enough water delivered for full power.

Adding additional reactors requires copying control block and connecting it with red wire to whole system (potentially also adding one more control tank and updating white constant to account for it).

Blueprint below contains only control elements and reactors.
Blueprint

eX_ploit
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Reactors control center

Post by eX_ploit »

Why have separate control center for each reactor? Here's a save with my design which uses one set of combinators to feed fuel into all reactors at the same time + a system to evenly distribute nuclear fuel among reactors from a chest. Also you placed your reactors wrong, they get much less neighbor bonus then if they would be placed 2x2.
Attachments
nuclear2.zip
(4.94 MiB) Downloaded 160 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

They are wrong if it would be finished - it has 5th now and 6th will be on the way soon to finish up the 2x3 layout.

Having separate controls per reactor is I think me being lazy. This way it can be extended freely with new reactors and doesnt require changes anywhere else - just connect and it works. I'm pretty sure it could be done with less combinators and some clever wiring :)
I'm going for simple solution usually that works without problems and can be expanded easily.

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

Thank you.
I saw this but this isn't good. That's extremely complicated and it has this comperator BS. I need something user-friendly.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Currently there is no user-friendly method, ps666.

Several people complained about that aspect already, I don't know if the devs will eventually do something about it or not.

The easiest solution would be if the reactor would output the amount of fuel cells it already has inside via Circuit Network (which it currently doesn't)... then a more user-friendly solution could be done which uses less combinators, if any at all. Because currently the problem is that one has to keep track of how much fuel is inside all by yourself and that's why it requires the combinators.

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

That's sad. I hope they change it.

(Stupid comparators! I do not need them. They can be removed. :P )

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

You can make a very simple thing like this:
One reactor
Work fine. Does only insert one fuel if tanks empty. Good for early game.
Attachments
OneReactorSetup.png
OneReactorSetup.png (303.9 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

And something like that is easily expandable to "insert one per reactor" by just having all the inserters tied on the same grid... Detaching the assembler and running a belt or using the logistics network to have a fuel reserve ready would be needed though. Simple works, Distel, well done :)
Only issue would be plant overload - would mean the steam level in the buffer never rises, so you keep inserting fuel all the time. Could be handled by not having less turbines then the heat exchangers can service...

Also, Medu - now that the spent fuel cell is ejected after fuel use rather then rightaway, it can be used as an event to clear a latch for fuel insertion (rather then the more complicated 200s timer, but achieves the same result). With a stack size of 1 on the fuel inserters, you should always have only 1 fuel in the reactors using that setup.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

My version does not work good when setup is bigger.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

ps666 wrote:this comperator BS
:lol:

Return to “Energy Production”