Compact 2xN Nuclear Reactor - Height 252 Tiles

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Compact 2xN Nuclear Reactor - Height 252 Tiles

Post by DaveMcW »

This is my attempt to build the densest nuclear reactor possible. It is infinitely expandable with a height of 252 tiles.

Heat exchangers:
compact-nuclear-heat-exchangers.jpg
compact-nuclear-heat-exchangers.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 531 times

The whole thing:
compact-nuclear.jpg
compact-nuclear.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 531 times

It is designed to be built in 4 steps, with the center in a lake.
compact-nuclear-1-2.jpg
compact-nuclear-1-2.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 531 times

The rest doesn't have to be in a lake, but it includes landfill anyway.
compact-nuclear-3-4.jpg
compact-nuclear-3-4.jpg (751.09 KiB) Viewed 531 times

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Compact 2xN Nuclear Reactor - Height 252 Tiles

Post by mmmPI »

It looks very nice, with the symmetry and density, but it's so dense i couldn't place a fuel saving system on 28.57% of the reactors, those on the extremity of the blueprint do not have a flat belt attached, only 2 undergrounds, and there is no room for roboports to change it to logi chest and i don't know how to do when neither is possible.

Tallywort
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tallywort »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm
It looks very nice, with the symmetry and density, but it's so dense i couldn't place a fuel saving system on 28.57% of the reactors, those on the extremity of the blueprint do not have a flat belt attached, only 2 undergrounds, and there is no room for roboports to change it to logi chest and i don't know how to do when neither is possible.
There is always still the method of using timers or similar logic to regulate the inserters feeding the reactors. (or like this method which reads steam usage in a seperate control reactor and uses that to regulate other power plants)

IMHO there's no real need for logi bots when there is a perfectly good belt right there, with enough throughput to feed hundreds if not thousands of reactors.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 pm
Well, if you were able to convert it to add any of that, then it wouldn't be the densest possible anymore. ;)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Ahhh i forgot about the timer thing ! This one doesn't need any steam tanks so it would be the best for density. Logi chest was to potentially read if an fueling inserter is starved at the fueling moment same as connected belt. It is possible (and necessary) to deal with such condition outside the actual nuclear plant. But i should be fine now :)

Return to “Energy Production”