Themed Design for Molten Salt Facility (Cheese's Concentrated Solar)

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
SherpaMcDerpa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Themed Design for Molten Salt Facility (Cheese's Concentrated Solar)

Post by SherpaMcDerpa »

EDIT: Improved design in next reply.

Really digging Cheese's concentrated solar tower mod and came up with the goal to offset all/nearly all of our accumulator needs during the night. My buddy and I are not currently using nuclear, and while this design is pretty basic I figured I'd share to at least show the creator some credit.

I'm calling this theme a "Molten Salt Facility" because 1) That's cool and 2) That's the realistic application and 3) I was getting tired of the standard accumulator play and needed to have a design goal in mind. Stats are as follows with 2 facilities at this time:
  • 186 MW production
  • 200k Steam
  • 32 Steam Turbines
  • 16 Heat Exchangers
  • 8 Storage Tanks
  • 12 Pumps
  • 1,104 Heliostats/Mirrors
With solar providing all of our power during the day, this setup provides enough steam to power through the entire night for a 186MW demand. We have a little extra power needs thanks to scaling up rocket launch production so the accumulators did kick in a bit, I just need to scale up another facility. It can scale up much more with additional turbines and steam storage tanks, but I'm pretty certain it needs a redesign to optimize the flow. Feel free to comment where this needs improvements. It's definitely not perfect.

Thanks for the cool mod, Cheese. Link to his mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ch-concen ... stribution.
Solar 1.png
Solar 1.png (4.37 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
Solar 2.png
Solar 2.png (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
Solar 3.png
Solar 3.png (3.37 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
Solar 4.png
Solar 4.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1270 times
Last edited by SherpaMcDerpa on Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SherpaMcDerpa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Themed Design for Molten Salt Facility (Cheese's Concentrated Solar)

Post by SherpaMcDerpa »

UPDATED DESIGN: Scaled up and optimized the design to produce 371.2 MW of energy/power/steam storage. 12 steam storage tanks. 64 steam turbines. Dependent on the volume of solar panels you have for dusk/dawn (haven't determined the ratio yet).

Blueprints:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Solar 5.png
Solar 5.png (4.39 MiB) Viewed 1239 times
Solar 6.png
Solar 6.png (4.3 MiB) Viewed 1239 times
Solar 7.png
Solar 7.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1239 times
Last edited by SherpaMcDerpa on Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Very pretty design!
Please wrap the blueprint strings into [bp]...blueprint string...[/bp] bbcode for better readability and to have a button to copy it to the clipboard. There's a "bp" button in the editor to create the bp/bp pair. Example:

SherpaMcDerpa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SherpaMcDerpa »

Thanks! Blueprints updated.

Return to “Energy Production”