Compact 88 MW Solar Field + Accumulators

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Compact 88 MW Solar Field + Accumulators

Post by Tertius »

This is a very compact tileable solar panel+accumulator field with the 0.84 ratio between both.

I tried to find a good overall size and ratio between roboport and substation coverage, and also having walking space if tiled. It became a 150 tile wide field, tileable at size 149. If you tile it, overlap them by 1 tile according to the preconfigured grid size in the blueprint, so the inner sidewalks are still 1 tile wide, not 2 tiles. Use tiling by mouse dragging, it just works correctly.

The roboports are only used for construction, but you cannot reach them afterwards, and you cannot really remove them in a tiled setup, because if they are removed in the wrong order, they might become unreachable for the bots. The holes they leave behind cannot be filled anyway, because, well, there is no roboport coverage any more.

I tried but was not able to thin the roboport and substation coverage more. Any try to thin more, the ratios become wrong and the whole thing explodes.

Single:
2022-09-04 16-37-58 start=0 length=0.15 fps=30.gif
2022-09-04 16-37-58 start=0 length=0.15 fps=30.gif (924.26 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

Tiled:
Screenshot 2022-09-04 164425.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-04 164425.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2115 times

Near view:
Screenshot 2022-09-04 164615.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-04 164615.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2115 times

A 9x9 grid in map view (you see how the tiles connect the power to each other)
Screenshot 2022-09-04 171133.png
Screenshot 2022-09-04 171133.png (61.86 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Compact 88 MW Solar Field + Accumulators

Post by mrvn »

I like that you leave a walkway between blueprints. Most people tile them cell to cell and then you have a mega field that you can't cross.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tertius wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:15 pm
The roboports are only used for construction, but you cannot reach them afterwards, and you cannot really remove them in a tiled setup, because if they are removed in the wrong order, they might become unreachable for the bots. The holes they leave behind cannot be filled anyway, because, well, there is no roboport coverage any more.
That allow for replacing a solar panel with a radar so you can have vision to place the next tile, and then remove the radar :)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 pm
That allow for replacing a solar panel with a radar so you can have vision to place the next tile, and then remove the radar :)
OMG, I forgot the radar. I thought of everything. If you look closer, there is even a speaker that will give a roaring siren alarm if power is low. But I forgot the radar.

Luckily, radar is a 3x3 object and its coverage is 224x224. 3x3 means it can be placed instead of a solar panel, and 149 to 224 is exactly(!) 2/3 ratio.

You need 3 fields to use the radar grid size in an optimal way. In the first field, you put the radar on the bottom left corner. In the next field, you put it in the bottom middle where the small gap is (or for the field above: left middle). Alas, the middle field of a 3x3 needs the radar right in the middle where the roboport is. Luckily, a radar is chunk-aligned, so you can place it next to the middle where the solar panels start. It will ruin the symmetry and the uniform look, but it will give you radar coverage.
The 3rd field is without radar. The 4th field can have it again in the bottom left corner. You're wasting only 1 tile of the radar coverage: 3*149=447 tiles, while 2*224=448 tiles. I couldn't have it designed better, but this is pure luck.

On the other hand, there's probably not much interesting to see on a larger solar panel field.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tertius wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:45 pm
On the other hand, there's probably not much interesting to see on a larger solar panel field.
I agree, i meant it for the construction phase, I'm generally playing on peaceful mode and when using such tile i would start near the non discovered terrain and expand away from the base in this case having a radar inside the blueprint allow for revealing the map without going there ever so one can then place another tile in what would have been non-generated chunk. Having the robotport embedded and made to stay allow for removing the radar after the construction/reveal of the terrain is done as indeed there's not much to see.

I like those tiles with robotport coverage because they allow remote expansion :)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I specifically designed it for construction with roboports, after I used simpler blueprints and copy+paste with just small 3x3 solar panel blocks. Everything out of reach of the personal roboport wasn't constructed, then I had to walk near, then my inventory got empty, and so on.

Auto constructing a 2x3 field takes about 10 minutes with 700 robots if there is no supply shortage. However, most of the time the robots wait for recharge, so using half of them will probably take as much time.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:08 pm
I specifically designed it for construction with roboports, after I used simpler blueprints and copy+paste with just small 3x3 solar panel blocks. Everything out of reach of the personal roboport wasn't constructed, then I had to walk near, then my inventory got empty, and so on.
I know this feel, when you copy paste several time a blueprint and then the middle of the tile/square is out of reach from the personnal roboport, and then you have to remove some of it to go near the middle to allow personnal robots to finish and rebuild behind you.

Regarding the charging throughput there is this mods that fits so perfectly this blueprint it's like cheating :)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Robot_Battery_Research

If you then have enough robots and research they all only do 1 trip with 1 piece of the blueprint and start charging AFTER the tile is built, it's super satisfying :D

Return to “Energy Production”