Autobreaker for preventing brownouts and controlling backup power

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Autobreaker for preventing brownouts and controlling backup power

Post by Theikkru »

Nosferatu wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 3:53 pm
[...]Hopefully long enough until the night is over.
Does this mean you're counting on solar power to pull you out of the hole, so to speak?
I dunno, I'd much rather put up with some intermittent blackouts in exchange for full power the rest of the time. Combinators, circuits, and timers won't get desynced or miss inputs if the entire factory's out simultaneously. Brownouts, on the other hand, can spiral into a blackout even if they don't start out deep. (E.g. fuel supply starts to lag behind due to light brownout, worsening over time due to feedback loop.)

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Yes. My base is 60% solar and 40% nuclear.
I don't have brownouts often. But when I have them it's at the end of the night and solar will pull me out of any brownout spiral.

Belts still work full speed during brownouts.
Inserters are slower but their pulses will still work during deep brownouts.
Only combinators stopp updating once power is below 50%. So their logic will start missing things.

Edit:
I just realised that I didn't read your intentions correctly:
This auto breaker doesn't guard your base.
It's guarding the power plant. That's it's main objective. Correct?

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

I've made a habit not to use the pulse function on belts and inserters precisely due to that inconsistency, (which apparently won't be fixed,) so any logic circuitry I use is agnostic to the severity of brownouts. As a result, I care about brownouts in the general sense (due to slowed production, inserters missing items on fast belts, laser turrets thrashing due to slowed target acquisition, etc.), but whether they're severe or not is merely a quantitative distinction to me.

Edit reply: First and foremost, yes. It also helps protect the base from the spiraling effects of brownouts by exchanging them for intermittent blackouts.

Return to “Energy Production”