Introducing Factory No. 6

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Introducing Factory No. 6

Post by The Phoenixian »

Despite having made many factories, it occurs to me that I have yet to actually show one. With that I present to you Phoenixian's Factory number six.

The first thing you'll notice is that between the ocean and the swamp, the base is extremely defensible. And the forests to the north don't hurt either.

Within the factory itself production is based into several zones somewhat haphazardly places in relation to the main artery that is the copper and iron belt.

Of the zones, the science area is by far the most organically grown. You can see extraneous bits fit in here and there. Also you'll note that a lot of the assembly lines here are built to feed the logistics network when they have spare material.

That said, I'm actually pretty proud of all the belt tricks I've pulled off in this region. Both the steel input to blue science and the line that leads to batteries and sulfur use the underground belt trick to split off a portion of a line. (The keener eyed will also notice a rotated belt that has made a total mess of things... Oh My.)

The furnaces bank is a fairly massive structure composed of two rows of 24 furnaces for each ore feeding the main artery (even before the extra space allocated for more). It's nowhere near complete and you can see I've barely even started on getting the Iron furnaces supply up and running. First I'm going to have to deal with my copper supply issues. The mines cannot keep up quite yet.

The power plant is your bog standard steam engine setup in a 4:3 ratio of boilers to engines with little of note... Except perhaps it's source of fuel.

...HERESY!

Of all the parts of the base, the one I'm least happy with is probably the oil refineries. I will be the first to admit they are a mess right now, if thankfully a functional mess. Though one that will absolutely need rebuilding once things get up to full speed.

What I am very happy with right now...

Are my module systems and, especially, my circuit banks that feed them.

The advanced circuit production banks in particular are the product of about four separate games worth of attention. And as you can see by the ghost buildings, I'm kinda sorta planning to massively overclock it. :)
(Though I should probably move the basic circuit bank over about four squares so I can give it more space to overclock it's cable production.)

At any rate, I hope you enjoyed the read and if you find anything of use to you here, by all means please take inspiration.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Introducing Factory No. 6

Post by Mangledpork »

The Phoenixian wrote:Image

...HERESY!
One day, when everyone's steam power fails from cycles of mining drills slowing down and shutting down the boilers, they will come to understand and respect this design, and the steam engines shall never fail again.

UpGoing Kerbal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by UpGoing Kerbal »

Steam power, pah.
Go 100% solar, then when everything shuts down you can swear a lot and attempt to set up an automatic solar panel factory only to find you need power for that...
And that is why i have a bank of idle steam engines using the standard "only start when capacitors are nearly empty" trick, and due to nothing else using coal i've got a ton of coal to feed the bank even if the mines are down.

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

do the burner inserters nowadays feed themselfs?
always thought i had to put the stuff in myself.

but i agree with kerbal, water tank + backup steam is the way eco friendly biter killing maniacs roll nowadays :D
even got a more or less compact design posted ^^

- you save coal
- you have less pollution = less big biters

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

guess i schould have lerned by now to not trust other people. Yet i keep listening to things on youtube.

Guess that makes me feel bad for all the inserters i put in that box that got hit by my car.
But i had to offer something to the gods of factorio, 1 box of items and you get divine intervention if you die (also called savegame)

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

darkminaz wrote:but i agree with kerbal, water tank + backup steam is the way eco friendly biter killing maniacs roll nowadays :D
even got a more or less compact design posted ^^

- you save coal
- you have less pollution = less big biters
Eco friendly? Pshaaaw! That's factory five talk.
darkminaz wrote:guess i schould have lerned by now to not trust other people. Yet i keep listening to things on youtube.
I find the key to trusting other people is learning to model the preconceptions and axioms that your obervations have shown you run their minds. After all, it is so much easier to trust someone when you can tell what they think, where they are likely to be wrong, where they are likely to be right, and why.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

can you share savegame ?

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”