A compact base v2

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
NamelessPC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

A compact base v2

Post by NamelessPC »

I decided to finish rebuilding my compact base. Thanks to those who provided feedback!

I managed to make some improvements:
* Rail yard: Significantly smaller and better throughput. (credit)
* Foundry: Straight up stole dragontamer5788's steel furnace setup.
* Green circuits: Completely redesigned the district based on feedback.
* Manufacturing: Consolidated into a single district (far right).
* Overall: Base footprint reduced by ~50% based on screenshot rez.

Here's the result (hi rez warning: 10,000x4,000 pixels):
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (12.86 MiB) Viewed 13395 times
There's a save file attached in case anyone is interested.
Attachments
CompactBase 2.2.zip
(16.69 MiB) Downloaded 627 times

rubberduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: A compact base v2

Post by rubberduck »

this is somehow even better than your old design which i already loved!

BRAVO SIR! BRAVO
visit https://factorioprints.com/ for all your blueprint needs

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

I find it simply amazing that other then green circuits your entire base is powered by 1 red line of copper.

Also I noticed you have two filter inserters for blue science. Correct me if I am wrong but 1 filter inserter should be able to support up to 24 blue science and you only have 12. You might need a stack or fast(x2) inserter for the green circuits though.

Simply amazing base this is what I aspire too :D

NamelessPC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NamelessPC »

rubberduck: glad you like it :)

Nich: Yeah, the base absolutely inhales green circuits (and copper by extension). The rest of the base has a trivial copper draw compared to that.

Also you're right about the science district, and I wouldn't even need AM3s. The blue science assemblers draw a combined 1.25 inserters per second, and each AM2 already produces 1.5. I could cut out one row of inserter manufacturing and maybe pull the labs in a little tighter. There's still so much that can be optimized!

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

4/10 contains loops ;-)

j/k. I really like the double loop turnaround, I didn't think of that!

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

beautiful.

well done

onyxius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onyxius »

Wonderful base. I think there may be an issue with the crude oil. The trains are not dropping off empty barrels at the oil locations to be filled up. I'm having issues tracking down why. I think its something with the train station not getting empty barrels and unloading full ones.

Thanks

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I literally cannot view this.
The lag is real! :o
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

As the learned eye instantly recognizes... your loop has a bug! :ugeek:
Also regrettably you can't get up to rocket reearch with just 3-colore-science anymore.
LoopBug
I like the belt-only approach tho. I tried something similar once with bots/beacons.
BotCompact
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

onyxius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onyxius »

eradicator wrote:As the learned eye instantly recognizes... your loop has a bug! :ugeek:
Also regrettably you can't get up to rocket reearch with just 3-colore-science anymore.
LoopBug
I like the belt-only approach tho. I tried something similar once with bots/beacons.
BotCompact

I'm not having issues with that rail, the trains work just fine or am i missing something? I'm still new to the game :D

Also for the science, i had to tweak it, this is what i have so far and eventually will figure out the best way to process more, this is slow because red engines are not being crafted because there is some issue with the oil section of the base not getting enough of something, still working on that but this is what i did.
LoopBug
LoopBug
The compact base is a great starter type base, however i noticed that this was definitely not setup with the new science research in mind and a few others. for instance the blue science pack 3's used to use green inserters i guess (i'm new and came in at .15 update) so i had to clear that out and put in requesters for electric mining drill instead.

Either way, great base. I'm curious if or how much he has updated it since he posted this, i would love to see an updated version :)

onyxius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onyxius »

olafthecat wrote:I literally cannot view this.
The lag is real! :o
What specs are you running, i have not had any lag issues at all.

My specs are:
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
RAM (16GB) Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB 240 Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866 ( PC3 15000)
Windows: 10 64 bit
Raidmax 850AE 850W ATX 12v (Power supply)
Asus M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X Sata 6GB (motherboard)
ASUS Xonar Essence STX (Sound Card)
HDD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW
Extra HDD: A few WD drives for installing games and programs. <--- Factorio installed on one of these drives, not on an SSD.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

onyxius wrote: I'm not having issues with that rail, the trains work just fine or am i missing something? I'm still new to the game :D
Basically the signal there behaves as if it didn't exist (i think) because the "stacker" track and the "crossing" track are too close to each other. It might block the whole station if the stacker is ever completly full with trains, but i'm not even sure of that in this specific configuration. Press F4 and enable show-rail-blocks to see what i mean.
onyxius wrote: The compact base is a great starter type base, however i noticed that this was definitely not setup with the new science research in mind and a few others. for instance the blue science pack 3's used to use green inserters i guess (i'm new and came in at .15 update) so i had to clear that out and put in requesters for electric mining drill instead.
Yea, in .14 the recipies were quite different for science, and yellow/purple/grey/white didn't even exist.
onyxius wrote:Either way, great base. I'm curious if or how much he has updated it since he posted this, i would love to see an updated version :)
Best guess: He moved on to another game after playing enough of factorio. Like most people do with most games. I'm not even playing myself, just lurking the forums and doing some mod work.
onyxius wrote: What specs are you running, i have not had any lag issues at all.
He probably has a shitty browser/picture viewer that doesn't like the large picture in the OP. The savegame should run fine on any potato.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

For notice, I was not using my own computer when I tried to view this.
Also, please do not refer to Internet Explorer as "Shitty".
It may have a heartattack ;)
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Wouldn't it make more sense for the train connection to come in in the middle, then have the waiting bays go down. Loop the exit of the waiting by to the very top as entry to the unloading bays and exit in the middle again. Would avoid the circling back and crossing the waiting bays (the loop bug) and be a few rails less wide.

Another possible saving would be unload stone to one side of the track and coal to the other side using stack inserters and using a single stop for that.
Do the same with iron ore and copper ore?

Or unload barrels to one side and stone/coal to the other side. Merge those 3 stations into one. The stop for stones could be set back a bit so you can still have 6 buffer chests for coal and 6 buffer chests for stone.

PS: I saw that you build locomotoves, wagons and chain signals but didn't see any assembler for full signals. No rails, no fluid wagons and no pumps.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@mrvn:
I don't think you can merge coal/stone becaues then you run into problems with the usage ratio and train wait conditions. I.e. you might have run out of stone but the coal train is still waiting to be emptied. And trying to come up with good wait conditions to never run dry on one or the other is a lot more effort than to just have another unloading bay.

As for your proposed rail layout change...you'd have to make a picture :P.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

eradicator wrote:@mrvn:
I don't think you can merge coal/stone becaues then you run into problems with the usage ratio and train wait conditions. I.e. you might have run out of stone but the coal train is still waiting to be emptied. And trying to come up with good wait conditions to never run dry on one or the other is a lot more effort than to just have another unloading bay.

As for your proposed rail layout change...you'd have to make a picture :P.
Sorry, playing to much LTN. With LTN you only get a stone train when there is enough space to unload the stone and a coal train only if there is enough space for the coal.

With vanilla train stops you need one stop per item so you can disable the stop when there is no free buffer space. But train stop can still overlap. Just place the second stop 2 m from the first. The unload one stop to the right and one to the left.

Simplified layout for the loop:

Code: Select all

/-\\\\
   | |||||
---|-////
---|-\\\\\
   | |||||
   \-/////

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”