Compact 1200 spm

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Compact 1200 spm

Post by Khagan »

A little while ago (for values of 'a little while' that stretch to nearly 4 years) I posted in this forum my design for a monolithic 200 spm factory. I have always intended to follow that up with its big brother, so thought I'd better do so before the expansion makes it completely obsolete.

Here is a panoramic view of it being tested in the editor:
Megabase.png
Megabase.png (696.35 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
and a map view of it running live in my current real game:
Megabase map.png
Megabase map.png (572.93 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
The blueprint is attached rather than included, since attempting to include it results in the (not unreasonable) complaint that "Your message contains 500259 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000."

It's belt only, no bots, but roboports are included in the blueprint for construction purposes; they can be removed once the factory is running. Power consumption is about 5.8 GW. As with the 200 spm version, there is a small excess production of rocket fuel (which is then upgraded to nuclear fuel) to keep the trains running. While the smaller version is strictly limited to its nominal 200 spm, the larger one can in fact maintain a steady rate about 0.5% over its nominal 1200 spm.
Attachments
science1200.txt
(487.97 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Compact 1200 spm

Post by aka13 »

I love it, very neat.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Compact 1200 spm

Post by Khagan »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:26 am
I love it, very neat.
Thanks.

The scaling up from 200 spm to 1200 spm led to a couple of changes in the overall design that I meant to mention in the OP but forgot.

Firstly, there is no need to cache the rocket components during launch. The caching is less obvious in the revised 1.1 200 spm than in the original 0.17 version, but it's still there. But at 1200 spm there are two silos, and one is building while the other is launching. They are kept in sync by a timer circuit on the inserter that delivers the satellite. There is a little wiggle room, since the launch animation is just over 40s, and 1200 spm is one rocket every 50s.

Secondly, the low-density structures are made in a completely different place. In the 200 spm factory, they are made just before they are needed; but in the 1200 spm one they are placed immediately after the copper smelting, to avoid a river of copper belts crossing the whole width. In both, the general movement of intermediate materials is to the right and up. In the 200 spm factory there are no important exceptions to this, but in the 1200 spm one plastic goes backwards against the flow (to both red circuits and lds).

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”