Request: 12 Belt Balancer

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Request: 12 Belt Balancer

Post by Slayn25 »

So far my searches for a 12 lane balancer have been unsuccessful.
If anyone has one ready please feel free to share, otherwise I'll be working on my own when I get a chance and will post when completed.
Last edited by Slayn25 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Request: 12 Lane Balancer

Post by Optera »

I only know of count perfect balancers with 2^n in/outputs so you'd have to use a 16 belt balancer and feed back 4 belts from output to input.
For me it behaved best when feeding back 1 belt of each group of 4.
blueprint
Edit: Sry didn't see the "must be 12 wide". I'll just leave this here in case you can make more room.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

Thanks for the blueprint. I took out the 12 wide part as I realize that's an impossible request lol.

huliosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by huliosh »

I suggest to divide by sections by 4. i.e. 3x4 lanes.
Here is the difference between 4 lane and 8 lane balancer. You can imagine how quickly it's getting messy.

huliosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by huliosh »

Here is another way to balance 12 lane
Blueprint string
Last edited by huliosh on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

huliosh wrote:Here is another way to balance 12 lane
Blueprint:

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/62d22rcSBCGXyX42ln6rBmCnyV44yEYvDNmPIYE43dfW1IgVkvq+n75KjhUVdfxrz5N6+705eH04/bhy/ebl8Pxcn+5PzzdvLwcb/873Fxd
zrfHp8fT+fL138PD5er68fT0RnA63rz8uvm6u/598zWE1+u7+/PhR//fb39YOPcyZ+k54yuhDkbqTtYqI60y0ioh2QnJjkh2RLIDkh2QbI9keyLbEdGOSEYO
Qf5A7kDeQMmHcg+lHso8VIyoFksNEMXEOIMsNsYZiLUxjhDrjSUyUDsj9W6UzYFyh8Yp8jidzFlGDdUxFc6MYpUEaqvHs2xDRFpFpFVAsgOS7ZFsT2Q7ItoR
ycghyB/IHcgbKG1RNqFkSnWG2xA115BiY5xBMTKioOoMhpF2Y3Q7wvIZQCat01rNfR/ze0S9I13PLHuHZHdIdodkl1G22AvN4yR5nCxzplFDdUyFM6JYBYHa
6vEo2+CRVp5o5YhoRyQjVyILkYGh9roNymKd5jbGmcoiIwqqztQVaD1WtyN8mQEJ0EatoyCQRxiPIJ4h/NDHOtSZGHVBmlipO6RJEaiZJlbqjDRJI7Xa3ZhW
VuogaxVlTk/85gixr3WygcOMGwhCGtWbcRkZxRjTSIhRNaGER5WHkhYhFwIXhHIMLAbRCVFnBLeM2qpJQbI7gfovTZ6Pd4fzz/Pp7d9lXdLr9eX34xv16fny
+Hy5IiBqtTohO/KUumFHXrdjnTvpTkBWRU5sjmTDAW1YMcYRJW8VxTZSGNVA1YxKiFaQH9pp/NCClHLyvhaUEGuYZ316fLi/XA7nKSD+k0cuAqDWo8E9oi61
/sbTmA7Z0E21MsHjbGzvj/bQ5to8NFFFJ9rAvPxJqRtm5Fh1iJ/jYo8cNVNqtnybKXZbJN1Uv3W3zHg0cK/MmBmMCqRlBUhqRAIDkcQwrUGGpVdudW4hphVi
mgwXCKIrLJzvEx1rE96ttSID50L/W4/o/nOy9U8j9XoPdgLrbhyUdFZ2bmOV3dU2oBMNZ249Xe3opdazMH/JY2Ki83ovnN2NbdJuW1q2jbS0iAIdZwYlzRAd
61ud7jgxOaj3wj2UwII549aFXjGfpollaSI+iGvVum5WWTaLAGZVGe0eqB6eWz24Iyp1RLJ3KsJ7p7eVPl93CqerOK2A4Fc4W8vhnvfDYVISsG83aACIhfOr
oTkqHtoPI4Kmiu4r7M2tpoymA0T60zh3bJm4NIilF+61fbmhpy0yt5ekSmijXG8kzB4kkKO05LhdsLRGB2vXCRuSYT0XDItZViUJFslqjTS7IjnWJ+ft5Lhd
uO3SVcAL+Myu9e4zWspMO7QpWzcJG99MF0U9v5M5i7KEHjt3N+dmYQ1dhDXkECKFczcwGre8rfcL9hOp7cbdVqEwFcpEqqVTd/ppXlFXxwpjIO6NaknEFfUW
YuRZjDyww5myxCEF6poHK2HBpcTeOqtsutVRQxvXUglkU2wyis20fptduDl+h8afolKz0QmFPAPb1uXiwLq558y0HGMqz/Q80mmzkqFjh/zIq66R0fUX+32K
sqghaiodUbGbqNhujEm9nr4Qt3aD1AKeRmWVBXSuDVX3khWrA8ubuMHSsGip8URgbJvGFHIkNz0g9kCJGkWs0Bl0T/vK0cqpf51S4OalZPKG5EqLJiMxNXgo
nisgQQpIvBoqwC/ByPUo8+2oob/POows3et+aVxi9F3Peglp+NkdaVZWyd1EsqX5Rn0Vp9yjykzFtKqipaVFYa9s/AWyuqurMIZRV2FDJa76aL2HkTc1hNtI
Qz8T7j/VATBuhq3wGfqcVAy1jba5fQIBqPMKrVOXisDQByWXFGBamSCcoTNKOk3BsUlL8Bw9vGG9SVKA4A7QDgfk6gMZ5B4MebVi4cDedAdmw5LHcuWiidzK
bZ8o2xwW9Sb14KbjA0gX7HUkdzwgrvxv7xTSlRZfeV+ZmydN6/ixqCx3azcvRuJaibWQ3YgA2U5aQG7UFW5fqaCrPQD+ye8gPJrLB2kq333UyTCOkgv9MHZz
0po5BljXXJEG46S9PvK4kTSR6xtGUFczyp2wqLnDgST3H2lXFyvm7Amio/w0NPa1ioAxfjkqbVgXayOqpZHsGV5ljf3dCTMMySVeSB5lEes6ewF0ADneGwI5
hiG7RuTshLwIKiz9e9hp/lxkxASj3m6qCpjrirsX4DFPQbNit73YlQGZQBLhPRnJj+3Z8WHZOhXvk5pcv7HrF5b0o2dq5FEQ5fgtanxuah+oK+EGgPvo/OYQ
4HDMfPepUl3YM6iiZJ8xCGyFmJeXzKNdFpzzgFc7rNF/hxFyrb9DkLMTVyalH0m+364OmzfwJl3lvMLaBDHp3ncPY4uWNgEQvGtE7t/vjHMZcw4G1Uo/dax9
OmNWbkOirkavPaqWplHm3FBWaml09tTr7Ak9bDWRIwzrT5LKIJivATqVMamMWWUMKmNcYTTMK6XfK7lqTDBjU6ysvWPfntd+cupV39SpY9+TV/jq4rDx1Zlq
/zUM+cHqvtm3hjvK9tdGBjxY2lJZGCTSQdLaIIY5C1XQUwXDBgUjV9BV+q1vs/oWYYAGb7DXc3MT1G5DuqwGw7C3KB2k9DVE3gA0v46ViORMiBNRIxPiQNSI
hDgQNSIgdkQLD4gd0dgDYuJkojBxMdGXJDLJCZLGJCNILaHq6MvfunfYE9v3NtNArm9JLDO365L8nA+9qGx+OTQib7ktzvKys4ivPKAlnvLIUVuyKsp+ysD2
TLKkr6m/luELM69xzkI+1CG9350rRrLItW4nRJvRDhntVJu9aDMx2ZssjshgNchRtDeTEPen9eS+6dLHYSz3gJy+llvkbdeXdY8rE+JA/BYJcVhxcrtaF141
ajc1NTheDY4j7vaAmITGA1o1MF6Oy4aiiWpYSMlEQJuBp/OKx1Z3sMyfre1hr7k/Mm5ZhfaOy9D3DRI90zNMpLZhpqmCs9rkjDYFZBKxyJvGT0aDYmVPM1/J
DzzQh6HRF6rRp5vRN6TJ15XRR57Jx5XJ55LJB5DJJ43JR4rfaV+v73+cju9fZ3+6/3m8fbh5GYH2cvjv6npWzhvLG2L/er8l+PrtfLg8n49fvn87HO/+B6Ks
Cvn3fQAA
Your balancer seems to be count perfect, but it's using a lot more space (24x38) compared to Zuri's 16 belt balancer with 4 feedbacks (36x16).
It's also using more splitters, which if you use a lot of these balancers in a megabase will reduce UPS.
Last edited by Optera on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huliosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by huliosh »

You are right, but it's more like vertical version. Also you can compress it a bit more, there are some gaps that you can cut. 34 vs 36 splitter isn't that much for that big balancer. But i would go with separated balanced lanes 4x3. That would eliminate all the maccarone.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Normally 4 belt balancers should work fine.
When you need to unload insane amounts of ore balanced to furnaces though, 16 belt balancers become very useful.
2017-01-01-17-48-38-8544255.jpg
2017-01-01-17-48-38-8544255.jpg (695.19 KiB) Viewed 31331 times
PS: These are called belt balancers, lane balancers would balance left-right lanes of belts.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

Optera wrote:PS: These are called belt balancers, lane balancers would balance left-right lanes of belts.
Thanks. Updated.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Request: 12 Belt Balancer

Post by golfmiketango »

I use a lot of 12-belt balancers due to reasons which I plan to eventually make a post about. So far this implementation is the most elegant I'm aware of:

I didn't built it myself, and haven't done any careful science to verify its correctness, but, I'm pretty sure, based in-game experience and casual dry-run analysis, that it's a count-perfect output-side balancer supporting 12 fully compressed belts of throughput.
Blueprint String
I stole it from this reddit post.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

golfmiketango wrote:I use a lot of 12-belt balancers due to reasons which I plan to eventually make a post about. So far this implementation is the most elegant I'm aware of:

I didn't built it myself, and haven't done any careful science to verify its correctness, but, I'm pretty sure, based in-game experience and casual dry-run analysis, that it's a count-perfect output-side balancer supporting 12 fully compressed belts of throughput.
This is awesome. Going to try it later. Thank you much!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Optera wrote:Normally 4 belt balancers should work fine.
When you need to unload insane amounts of ore balanced to furnaces though, 16 belt balancers become very useful.
PS: These are called belt balancers, lane balancers would balance left-right lanes of belts.
I don't really get this at all. At the mines I balance the buffer chests using a combinator to keep them at the same (+-10, allowing some variance prevents stop-and-go hickups) fill. Trains arrive and wait till fully loaded.

That means at my smelter each car has the same amount of ore. You are unloading each car onto 2 belts. Even that should be balanced except when the train gets empty some inserters get the last load and get a bit more. Your 12 belt balancer should already be unecessary because the input is already 99% balanced.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

mrvn wrote:
Optera wrote:Normally 4 belt balancers should work fine.
I don't really get this at all. At the mines I balance the buffer chests using a combinator to keep them at the same (+-10, allowing some variance prevents stop-and-go hickups) fill. Trains arrive and wait till fully loaded.

That means at my smelter each car has the same amount of ore. You are unloading each car onto 2 belts. Even that should be balanced except when the train gets empty some inserters get the last load and get a bit more. Your 12 belt balancer should already be unecessary because the input is already 99% balanced.
I've been meaning to share this but keep delaying it pending further optimization/tweaking.... I don't use any buffer chests for my train loading or unloading, but instead rely on the train-cars themselves to serve as buffers. I am able to easily get just under three fully compressed blue belts of output from each rail car like so:
TrainUnload.png
TrainUnload.png (3.84 MiB) Viewed 28658 times
Note that contiguous side-loading underground belts like I'm using here cannot be built by hand -- only robots are capable of building it.

Here's a blueprint that unloads four wagons from two train-tracks this way:
blueprint
The train tracks are omitted from the blueprint so that you can align it as you please along the track (otherwise, we wind up needing two blueprints, and it's a PITA to figure out which one you need in any given situation).

So the number 12 comes from a four-car configuration. But it is true that if your system is supply-side constrained, four 3->3 balancers would serve equally well, because the three belts coming from each car are basically already in intrinsic balance to each other.

However, in my experience, using four 3->3 balancers almost always resulted in a situation where due to demand-side constraints, some but not all of those output belts would jam, reducing throughput to wherever it was actually needed.

I have also noticed that demand-side lane preferences can negatively impact supply-side throughput which really bothers me because I am quite suspicious of the game-engine performance impact of the standard split->isolate->join lane-balancer designs when repeatedly deployed at scale. I suppose I could output six belts instead of three and it might work better in-game but I would be worried about the UPS implications of all those uncompressed belts.

Managing these issues and, if we care, preventing the trains at the ends of the station-array from output-starving the ones in the middle, are arguably "costs" of not unloading into chests and sharing the output lines between the trains. My reasoning is tldw, here, but I suspect, in practice, that unload designs with chests still suffer from these same throughput problems, but sort of mask them, especially in laboratory and bootstrap conditions, leading to several subtle, hidden throughput problems in standard wagon->box->belt based train unload designs.

In my current campaign I have 2-6-2 trains which results in 3 x 6 = 18 output belts which is a nightmare to balance. As an initial hack, I've done this to go from 18->16:
Balancer Nightmare.png
Balancer Nightmare.png (6.72 MiB) Viewed 28658 times
But that really is @%$&#^& ridiculous and something better will need to be worked out.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

I'd probably suggest 8 wagon trains, taking 2 belts off each. With the shorter balancer space, you'd definitely have room for it at this end of your operation.

Just for clarification, what exactly are the bots able to do that can't be done manually in the photo?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think it's placing only output underground belts, without having to plonk the input part first.
I actually think you can do it by hand, I just tried in a sandbox game, and it was easy :
Factorio - contiguous side loading underground belts.JPG
Factorio - contiguous side loading underground belts.JPG (36.52 KiB) Viewed 28619 times
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Koub wrote:I think it's placing only output underground belts, without having to plonk the input part first.
I actually think you can do it by hand, I just tried in a sandbox game, and it was easy :
Wow, nice... so, how did you do it, exactly? Still not sure I get it.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Mehve wrote:I'd probably suggest 8 wagon trains, taking 2 belts off each. With the shorter balancer space, you'd definitely have room for it at this end of your operation.

Just for clarification, what exactly are the bots able to do that can't be done manually in the photo?
Yeah that sounds pretty sweet. Actually I was thinking I'd migrate to 2-7-2 (or maybe 3-7-3 if they're too slow) trains since I plan to deploy a smelting array that inputs 7 belts of ore and outputs 8 belts of plate... I have a mockup working perfectly but need to make sure it holds up in a real virtual deployment, so to speak.

But ... since my unload doesn't quite fill a blue belt, maybe I'll want 8 cars, after all, and want to look into 8->7 balancing ideas. A spare belt of iron ore is handy for sulphuric acid, so, come to think of it, for bus-facing deployments, that just leaves copper needing 8->7 in such a system... but I seem to be moving past the bus "phase" in my campaign, anyhow.

I don't love the idea of going from 3->2 directly because even if the ratios are about right, in the combinator-free implementation above, the trains very often unload unevenly due to the huge amount of belt buffer on the left; so I'd rather that the belts I have working get whatever throughput they're capable of. Plus it's all expected to get much, much bigger of course :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

golfmiketango wrote:
Koub wrote:I think it's placing only output underground belts, without having to plonk the input part first.
The attachment Factorio - contiguous side loading underground belts.JPG is no longer available
Factorio - contiguous side loading underground belts - howto.JPG
Factorio - contiguous side loading underground belts - howto.JPG (85.51 KiB) Viewed 28570 times
First, plonk the underground belt "entrance" on the left.
Then plonk exit I labelled 1
Then rotate twice, plonk exit I labelled 2
Rince and repeat until number 5
Then delete the entrance, and build one a little on the left
Add the 6th (not on this capture).
Remove the "entrance".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Koub wrote:
golfmiketango wrote:
Remove the "entrance".
Ah, of course... I was thinking far too linearly about this problem :)

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Koub wrote:
Remove the "entrance".
You don't actually need to do that either though. You can simply place each UG in the required orientation, and then use the rotate function to reverse their direction of movement as needed, no trickery required.

The only real restriction (and I'm not aware of any way around it) is that complementary UG's in range of each other automatically link together and any attempt at reversing one end's direction will be mirrored at the other end as well. But since the shown rail unloading mechanism doesn't involve any possibility of linking UG's, that's not as issue at all.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”