32 science labs

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
autohost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

32 science labs

Post by autohost »

I played in a game with a friend and thought I'd try something different from what I'd done before with science labs layout. Usually, I just have 2 rows of labs separated by 2 conveyor belts for all 4 science packs. The problem with this layout, is that unless your science pack production is pretty fast, the last couple of labs in the row may not get any science packs.

My son had made his labs in a square with a single loop around and I wanted to expand on that. The pictures below are the result. The other images show the red and green science pack production, using a layout I saw MangledPork (Bentham) use on his Youtube channel when he did a streaming video on 0.13 (part 3 I believe). I really liked his simple and efficient layout. Just had to move green science pack production due to the copper area.
Factorio_32sciencelabs.jpg
Factorio_32sciencelabs.jpg (228.9 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
factorio_32_1.JPG
factorio_32_1.JPG (115.83 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
factorio_32_2.jpg
factorio_32_2.jpg (126.91 KiB) Viewed 5737 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 32 science labs

Post by Qon »

autohost wrote: The problem with this layout, is that unless your science pack production is pretty fast, the last couple of labs in the row may not get any science packs.
Do you care which labs gets the science packs? The speed of research and science packs used is the same (unless you use modules in labs, but then you really do want to prioritise the PMed/EMed labs that are placed first). No layout will magically make all your labs get science packs all the time if your production is not enough. What you need is increased production, not looping belts.

autohost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by autohost »

Qon wrote:
autohost wrote: The problem with this layout, is that unless your science pack production is pretty fast, the last couple of labs in the row may not get any science packs.
Do you care which labs gets the science packs? The speed of research and science packs used is the same (unless you use modules in labs, but then you really do want to prioritise the PMed/EMed labs that are placed first). No layout will magically make all your labs get science packs all the time if your production is not enough. What you need is increased production, not looping belts.
Sorry, I don't understand: PMed/EMed labs??

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

autohost wrote:
Qon wrote: Do you care which labs gets the science packs? The speed of research and science packs used is the same (unless you use modules in labs, but then you really do want to prioritise the PMed/EMed labs that are placed first). No layout will magically make all your labs get science packs all the time if your production is not enough. What you need is increased production, not looping belts.
Sorry, I don't understand: PMed/EMed labs??
Labs with productivity module (PM) or efficiency module (EM). Modules are items which you can insert into machines to alter energy consumption, speed, products gained and pollution generated.

Example:
If you have efficiency modules in some of the labs then you prefer that those labs gets science packs first so that you reduce energy consumption. If science packs are distributed equally likely to all labs your research speed will be the same but your energy consumption higher since labs without EM will also get science packs. With a non-looping setup only the first labs will get packs when your production isn't fast enough to feed all labs (unless you have buffered some science packs) and then you would put EM in those first labs if you can afford to put EM in some but not all labs.

autohost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by autohost »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I've just started building a few modules, and have not deployed any for labs yet.

Your point about putting EM in first labs in a non-looping setup is good.

I know that 32 labs is overkill and I won't do it again, but it was fun to setup. I now have blue science setup with a 600 item buffer as well, and can research several big things in a row pretty quickly.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

autohost wrote: I know that 32 labs is overkill

:shock:

I typically use 64 labs. I don't want to wait all year for turret and ammo upgrades to finish researching.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

autohost wrote:Your point about putting EM in first labs in a non-looping setup is good.
Well it is a theoretical situation where you care which labs are getting products first. In reality labs only use 60kW and don't need efficiency modules. 30% of 60kW is just 24kW. If you put that same EM in an assembler machine 3 (don't use AM2 if you can avoid it, it's actually less energy efficient) you save 0.3*210 = 63kW or refinery 0.3*420 = 146kW which is far better. When you insert 3 EM1 into an AM3 you get the limit of -80% energy use instead of -30*3 = -90. So the last only gives -20% units. 0.2*210 = 42kW which is still better than putting it in a lab. This assumes the machines are running 100% of the time. If your labs are running 100% of the time and your AM3 works 10% of the time you save more by putting them in a lab. But since you need to produce science packs 100% of the time (disregarding buffering) to support you labs running 100% of the time you should be able to find machines running just as much.

So the point is, put EM somewhere else first if you have them (don't just go by the power graphs). And if you have several identical machines with the same recipe, module setup and with the same output location don't worry about prioritising machines with your input.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Put productivity modules everywhere, boost everything with speed modules in beacons, and hope your turrets are up to scratch :)

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”