What I learned building multi-belt balancers

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
papercrane
Inserter
Inserter

What I learned building multi-belt balancers

Post by papercrane »

I've been thinking about this for a while now and decided to finally write it all up. This is my attempt at explaining how to build multi-belt balancers, how to fix their throughput in non-optimal cases, and generally bring together everything I've learned from building my own balancer and reading various posts here, on reddit, and elsewhere.

I wrote this up in Markdown and put it on github as it seemed the easiest way for me to get all of the gifs up with it. If there's interest I can look into recreating it here.

https://github.com/reversefold/factorio ... /README.md

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What I learned building multi-belt balancers

Post by Koub »

Hi,
Nice study. You might also want to have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=31230 (all about balancers too).
[Koub] Topic moved to show your creations/Mechanical throughput, because ... Belt and splitter creation :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

papercrane
Inserter
Inserter

Re: What I learned building multi-belt balancers

Post by papercrane »

Koub wrote:Hi,
Nice study. You might also want to have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=31230 (all about balancers too).
[Koub] Topic moved to show your creations/Mechanical throughput, because ... Belt and splitter creation :).
Thanks for checking it out!

Yes, that's one of the threads that I had read previously and some of the inspiration for the technique I used. The main difference (I think) is that I always interleave the outputs in their original order. The ones in that thread appear to be mirroring horizontally while doing the interleaving (although I could be wrong). Due to the different interleaving it also seems to need multiple types of blueprints to get the next level working. My balancer uses the same basic blueprint for all of the interleaving rows once you get to 32x32 and larger.

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”