My MultiPlayer game with ColonelWill on the RSO mod

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

My MultiPlayer game with ColonelWill on the RSO mod

Post by Dantounet »

Hi there, i just spendt the last 3 night on a frenetic game with colonelwill, its so far the best factorio game i played, if we talk about pleasure and game experience.

So we used the "spawner overhaul mod" (The 1.03 one, working on factorio 11.1, you can download here if you want to have a try: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=50)

Basically it makes the ressources spawns a lot more far, excepted one spot of every ressource at the start.
The more far you go, the better chance you have to find big or rich ore and oil (wich is a lot more rare than in vanilla, making it very precious)
The bitters are also more rare and more far, but its still challenging, because you have a very large territory to defend, and the ressources are harder to get.

So we barely had enought ressources at start to make trains and get a decent start of a factory, but then, we had to explore to find some precious iron and oil, because we had only 1 oil pump at our start location.

We played this game for 17h now, and i still want to continue it a lot more xD, it went very addicting.

Here are some screens to share with you what we worked on!

The whole factory in a map screen, with all the train network going in 3 differents ways on the map:

The main station, handling 8 trains runing at the same time:

The west side of the rail network:

The big iron outpost on the west, it's our eldorado:
We had 4 trains runing non stop on this line.

The North and South Sides of the train network:

Our power set-up:
We did chose to not use solar panels, because we found it more challenging to use something dependant on a ressource, and also because we had a few copper on the map.
So it made the coal a precious ressource, because we could'nt afford to use the oil to make solid fuel (all the oil is cracked in gaz because its too rare), and then it made it a vital reason to get coal from far with the train network, adding more fun to the game.
(I remember a moment when we went ou of coil because the far coal outpost was nearly out, and then we had to run to an other coal deposit, set up a train station in emergency, and then we had hard time to restart it!

After the factory got bigger, the belts wasnt fast enought to provide coal to every boilers, we even had to use blue belt to make them all working

Our furnace nightmare:
At this point of the game we just finished to put 2 green modules on every furnace, making them using -60% of the power, something very helpfull when you rely on coil for electricity, and you cant afford use too much.

The high-tech department:

The oil department:

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Re: My MultiPlayer game with ColonelWill on the RSO mod

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

Wow this is really on a large scale

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Eurofighter1200 wrote:Wow this is really on a large scale
Indeed. They have been very industrious.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

I enjoyed looking at this, thanks for posting all the pictures! I may try out that resource spawning mod--I do like the idea of bigger and more distant deposits that make trains more necessary.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Amazing map and factory, guys!

Are there any problems with the Resource spawner overhaul at the moment? I know that you have to set it up exactly the same in MP; does the rest work? It seems like a very good alternative to the vanilla distribution!

Dantounet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dantounet »

I made 2-3 different RSO games in MP and we didn't have any problem with it.

You need to have exactly the same RSO settings that's all.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

So, I started a new factory from scratch (did that nearly too often in these last few weeks) with a friend, and we used the RSO; the main reason for me was this thread here, because your map and the need of trains in general was very intriguing. We pumped up the starting resources a bit though - nothing extreme, just so we didn't need to be too careful with resource distribution in the beginning.

And I have to say: this was the best idea ever! We are around 15 hours in right now, nothing too fancy, but big and expandable structures. I started preparing a train network which I personally love - my friend not so much though :P But maybe he's just teasing me... Well, anyway, the map is a LOT more interesting without resource fields every other chunk. The need (not just the will) to build a good train network adds a whole new level to the game. Sure, I've build some trains and stations before, but you have to ignore some of those resources around you very hard to really feel the need to do that. Mostly, trains are just for funsies, but not with the RSO! We set ourselves a chest full of rocket defenses as a long time goal - if my other guy is right and those things stack to 200, we're in for some trouble ;) Well, we'll see... I won't look it up until I find out for myself :x

However, we got into some trouble when the disconnects (desyncs) for my mate started. That may have to do with entities on the map, like some other factorians reported; we just set up some radars here and there, so there were a lot of new nests visible on the map. So far, he wasn't able to reconnect to my game, so I started clearing every nest in the area. We weren't able to try if that is working yet, but we'll get to that.

Anyway, great mod, and thanks for sharing your factory!

Return to “Railway Setups”