How I balance ore/smelting throughput.

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Breetai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How I balance ore/smelting throughput.

Post by Breetai »

Throughput, throughput, throughput!

For the longest time I was constructing my train station ore dropoffs like this:

Good enough for government work, right? The trouble is that while it (eventually) fills all of the crates, it takes a while to feed the second line because the first line takes priority, and if your mining base starts to get exhausted to the point where you're not producing as much as you're transporting, the far side crates tend to not refill, which means they'll eventually empty; meaning that your trains take twice as long to load up.

This:

is far better: both rows of crates fill up equally from the get-go, and that means that your trains spend less time at the station from the first trip they make. Incidentally, a carriage being loaded by 8 crates takes just a fraction over 15 seconds to fully load/unload when you've researched every inserter stack size tech.

As for smelting, this:

works really, really well for me. It's constructed out of two blueprint templates: the mess of conveyers and splitters up top that take in one input belt and one output belt, and the following template:

It's got excellent, perfectly balanced throughput, is easily optimised by filling out new rows before adding new columns, and most importantly four templates (i.e. 8*2 smelters) side-by-side fits snugly within the maximum spacing for roboports that link up together.

+Any comments/tips for further optimisation?

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How I balance ore/smelting throughput.

Post by Turtle »

If space isn't an issue, this layout is great:
train-loading.jpg
train-loading.jpg (240.04 KiB) Viewed 8924 times

Breetai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Breetai »

NICE.

So what's the wraparound loop achieve? Balancing when there's minor gaps in the overall input?

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, but if you have a full belt, it's pretty unnecessary.

infinitysamurai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by infinitysamurai »

I don't understand why you wouldn't process your ore on site? Is there any reason not to have your smelting out where your ore is being produced and THEN loading it onto the train?

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Personally, I don't like smelting on-site. What happens when your ore field runs dry? You have a lot more stuff to move and setup at your new location.

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

If you are going to transport the plates by train then there is going to be a rail near the mines. So you could have a a service train for personal use. The train can be loaded with everything needed for the mine deployment: Roboports, robots, belts, E.furnaces, mines, walls, lasers, poles, all the blueprints needed, chests, inserters..... This way you only need to deploy the rail, the power lines, a few storage chests and a roboport.

Also the OP furnace design could be done with two belts between furnaces instead of three, one for the ores and the other for the plates.

Cheers

infinitysamurai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by infinitysamurai »

Turtle wrote:Personally, I don't like smelting on-site. What happens when your ore field runs dry? You have a lot more stuff to move and setup at your new location.
That is a very good point and I think I strongly agree with you on it.

Return to “Railway Setups”