Precise Train Loading System - Simple

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Tyross
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Precise Train Loading System - Simple

Post by Tyross »

Hey everyone,

First post, so firstly, what a really helpful community, so many ideas! I often come to the forums when I'm stuck and hopefully can give something back now.

I was looking for the ability to load a train with specific amount of whatever items I wanted, and found some very complicated answers that I just couldn't figure out! However, I've just had a bit of a breakthrough and wanted to share so that people can use and improve.

Precise Train Loading System
Factorio SS1.png
Factorio SS1.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4894 times
Simple Overview
Train is absent from station;
The purple inserter will remove the contents of the requester chest and place it into the iron chest.

Train is present in the station;
The purple inserter is inhibited by the circuit network and the white inserter will load the contents of the chest onto the train.

Advanced Overview
Train is absent from the station;
The right hand signal (showing green) sends a signal to the decider combinators showing a green signal. This is fed into the red circuit network to the power switch, which is enabled when Green >0, allowing power to flow to pole "B" and activate the inserter.
The inserter is connected to its chest via green wire and in this instance is set to work when the contents of the chest are below 100 Steel Plates. The inserter places 100 steel plates (or close given bonuses) into the iron chest.

Train is present in the station;
The right hand signal goes red, sending a red signal through the circuit network, turning the power switch off, preventing power going to pole "B" and the purple inserter. This action prevents any more items being placed into the iron chest. The white inserter is activated by the green signal (Green >0) placing all items into the cargo wagon present. The power for the white inserter is provided by pole "A" which is continually powered.

Strengths
The system can easily be expanded
The system is flexible, in that all you need to change are the inserter filters and the request chest requirements to place any quantity of any item (or combination there-of) into a cargo wagon
Its simple enough for newer players to have a crack at

Weaknesses
The system assumes the wagons will be emptied
The systems isnt "smart" it just loads the batched amount of items each time

Please feel free to comment and improve, my circuit networking skill are fairly basic, but this seems to be working on my map for my "expander train"!

Regards,

Tyross
Attachments
Factorio SS2.png
Factorio SS2.png (732.46 KiB) Viewed 4894 times

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Precise Train Loading System - Simple

Post by aober93 »

You can shut down the purple inserter just by connecting it with the rail signal. Set it to operate when "red = 0". This route to the power switch is kinda cool tho :)

Return to “Railway Setups”