The golden train that doesn't know when to quit.

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

The golden train that doesn't know when to quit.

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

I made a train that never stops or slows down and is set to automatic for the lols.
20160906114732_1.jpg
20160906114732_1.jpg (565.86 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
It is actually quite simple to make. Create a quite tall track of 4 lanes that are connected together in a similar way as the initial screenshot. And add 2 rail signals to the oposite coners with the signal blocking the stop connect to the other like so. Also place a chain signal before the 2 rail signals.
20160906114823_1.jpg
20160906114823_1.jpg (407.08 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
Mirror this setup further than the braking distance of your train away. And name both stops the same and tell the train to go to it.
20160906114848_1.jpg
20160906114848_1.jpg (411.77 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
Watch as your train o' fun loops forever.
20160906115011_1.jpg
20160906115011_1.jpg (214.43 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
The combinator thing on the right is just a lap counter I hacked together. If anybody really must know how it works I can explain it in more detail.

Also if you don't understand and I don't reply fast enough it will probably still be running on the factorio one US server. (Shamelessly plugging servers awh yeah).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The golden train that doesn't know when to quit.

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I was toying with the idea of doing something like this, although I didn't think to add a second train stop.

The basic premise is that the train aims to go to stop A, but as it approaches it the signals cut it off. Train recalculates and decides to go to stop B. Upon approach the signals cut that off and reopen stop A, so the train recalculates to go back to A.

The idea I had was just having a loop and a single station in a side track. Two branches link the loop to get to the station, and circuits ensure only the last signal the train passed is green. So it is constantly running around the track trying to get back to the branch it just passed. Not sure it would work with only one station, it's possible the train will decide to wait for the branch it's decided on to become available, but at least I know it's somehow possible now ^^
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

TheVeteraNoob
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheVeteraNoob »

One stop might work. But I feel like it would be much harder to convince the train to switch routes

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

One stop is actually really easy:
Unreachaville
The signals on each of the branches to the station are wired to the selected signal. The first branch is disabled when green = 1 (train is approaching), and the second branch is disabled when red = 1 (train has passed the signal so is between the two branches).

Keeps recalculating and going around in circles. Ideally the two branches should be far enough apart that the train doesn't try to brake in between, this example is a little too small.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

TheVeteraNoob wrote:One stop might work. But I feel like it would be much harder to convince the train to switch routes
I believe that the train actually picks one of the two stations when it starts and never even looks at the other one.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

When you hop in as a passenger, can you hear it say, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." ?

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

came for the golden train, stayed for the fish-go-round

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

this is cool.
would be supper cool if there was a way to refuel the train without stopping it. Then it could be used as a "live" wall.
Always wanted to do that, i hope the train physics still work like they do the last time i tried this, when the fact that the train was SUUUUUPPPER long and heavy made its speed irrelevant to its killing power.
Are bitters (or more importantly spitters) smart enough now to kill a slow moving train?
constuction bots are probably still stupid enough that there will be losses in their attempts to fix said train, but that's easily solvable.
wish i had the time to play and actualy try to build that in the current version. :(

Return to “Railway Setups”