Coordinate system

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Coordinate system

Post by Qon »

I made a simple xy-coordinate system that self-configures by learning its own coordinate when placed from its neighbours directly north, south, west or east. The use case is for my self-building factory which I would like to avoid using modded coordinate combinators that magically just skip solve the problem. I made an unique ID-generator earlier for the same reason, but coordinates are also unique so can be used for wire network addressing and have the added benefit of being tied to locations in case you want units to be in specific configurations and not too far from eachother etc.

An origin cell is required in the network (and only one). Cells with with no connection to an origin will just wait in an uninitialised state until an origin is added to the network. So the order of placement for cells don't matter. The wiring is also carefully done so it doesn't matter what order your bots place each combinator or the timing of it or if any part is destroyed. That means if you replace the outside connection points make sure they connect to the exact same connection points and not just the same wire system.

The blueprintbook contains two versions. The first is a bit more spaced out and is a bit more readable. The second one is compacted and uses 1 power switch for each connection point instead of 2 empty constant combinators. They are not used for power or switching, they are just cheap and can overlap without rotations or power requirements and large enough to overlap the edge of the blueprint for easy connecting, so that the red-green wires connects properly. There's an origin block for both versions.

It's nothing special really but I'm thinking of using it so someone else might find it interesting as well. :)
Attachments
ousu(210527-214604-93).jpg
ousu(210527-214604-93).jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1564 times
ousu(210527-221049-83).jpg
ousu(210527-221049-83).jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1564 times
ousu(210527-221110-97).jpg
ousu(210527-221110-97).jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1564 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Coordinate system

Post by DaveMcW »

Here is a similar coordinate system. It stores the coordinates in a single signal, which reduces the number of combinators needed.

The coordinates are limited to the range [-23169, 23169] or ±2¹⁴⋅⁵.

auto-coordinates.jpg
auto-coordinates.jpg (307.88 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Coordinate system

Post by Qon »

That's great, and much smaller! :D
I don't need the full 32 bit range (my cells are 2x2 chunks) but I do want less circuits so I guess I'll switch to your single value system for storing coordinates. I breifly thought about doing that but didn't think it would reduce the circuits that much since I don't refer to X and Y individually. Also I didn't know that an "anything" output choose only a single one of its inputs, that's going to be useful to know for my other circuits. I thought it would propagate them all which is why half of it is a loop that enables only one signal to be sent to the memory combinator at once. And with that I also needed a system that only allowed a single tick to be sent to memory input so another few combinators for that.

My system will remember its own coordinates even if all connections to its neighbours are destroyed, but that is not that useful since your system is effectivly memorising coordinates in a loop between just 2 neighbouring cells. And coordinates are restored properly anyways once 1 connection is restored and I don't need coordinates of completely broken cells while I wait for them to be rebuilt, as long as the values eventually get set to valid numbers again.

Thanks for the help and sharing. And quick too! I love it and I'll use it!

Return to “Combinator Creations”