Factorio in Factorio v0.4

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio in Factorio v0.4

Post by stellatedHex »

Koub wrote:it can't be done
Inspired by some comments in the Tetris in Factorio thread, I decided to take a swing at making a combinator Factorio.
Or at least, combinator conveyor belts. I'll probably work out combinator miners, smelters, and assemblers pretty soon; they'll be put on this thread.
If you want to take any of this and run with it, go for it.

Transport Belts

(this gif uses v0.3, but it gets the point across)

Here's one single unit (one side of a single item's-length of a conveyor) unpacked. Many of the arithmetic combinators have been converted to deciders, but it still functions exactly the same under ordinary operating parameters, and less stupidly when messed with. When I finally add inserters in v0.5, the changes will come in very useful (and I'll rewrite this now half-obsolete explanation).
The minus combinators are the storage units, set to EACH-BLUE: EACH. In v0.4 this was changed to a decider set to BLUE==0: EVERYTHING.
The set of three combinators on the bottom sends 1 BLUE if the left item "slot" is full and the right item "slot" is empty. Unless something goes wrong, the storage unit should only ever have a single item signal, which is of value 1, so the 1 BLUE empties the slot. In v0.3 the divider (BLUE/2: BLUE) was changed to a decider (BLUE==2: 1 BLUE) because using a divider was stupid, although it turned out to be necessary for v0.4.
The set of 2 combinators on the top are set two EACH*BLUE: EACH and BLUE*-1: BLUE. That is, when they receive 1 BLUE, they send whatever's in the left storage to the right storage, minus the blue. In v0.4, the EACH*BLUE combinator is changed to a decider set to BLUE==1: EVERYTHING.

More pics:
v0.4
I drop 5 red wire into my, er, 3d scanner, which uploads them INTO THE MATRIX.
Even the belt is terminated, the items just stop there, just like they're supposed to.

Blueprint strings:
Transport Belts
Old Pics
Super Flashy Old Belt Gif
Old Blueprints
Last edited by stellatedHex on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stellatedHexahedron wrote:I'm the kind of person who makes Conway's Game of Life in Factorio, but forgets what they are doing halfway through typing their username.

stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio in Factorio

Post by stellatedHex »

I fit the belts into a proper square tile, and fixed the flashy-annoying problem by changing the lights from the green wire to the red wire. This causes moving items to smear over 2 lights at a time for single tick, but it still looks good, and since the lights are for display anyway I figure it doesn't matter.

I wasn't able to follow up on making adjacent items move all at once instead of waiting for each one to go in turn--the simple solution I had in mind would cause things to try to move forward if their was an empty space BEHIND them. I figure I'll leave it as is, instead of trying to make a more complicated solution, since the belts are faster than the actual ones anyway--especially if you don't account for scale : P

Next will be adding functionality for more than 1 I/O direction for a single cell, which I think will move this project from "huh, neat." to actually interesting.
stellatedHexahedron wrote:I'm the kind of person who makes Conway's Game of Life in Factorio, but forgets what they are doing halfway through typing their username.

stellatedHex
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio in Factorio v0.4

Post by stellatedHex »

I started labeling versions to keep track of everything! I feel so organized.

v0.4 converted more of the arithmetic combinators to deciders, and added the ability of straight belts to act as T or + junctions. It turns outputting to multiple cells is harder than inputting from multiple cells, though, so inserters are postponed till v0.5.

I also investigated the amount of items on belts and corrected one of the assumptions I made (that the inside and outside of curved belts had the same number of items, and that they are traversed at the same speed). I also found that belts aren't exactly 3 items long, but no way am I changing it--the actual value is a reprehensible 25/7, or very very close to that.

Return to “Combinator Creations”