Beatorio! A Music Sequencer drum machine synth

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Beatorio! A Music Sequencer drum machine synth

Post by Tayday »

Built a music sequencer/drumkit without using belts and wanted to share. This particular BP can be a 10 track 16 step sequencer or a 5 track 32 step sequencer. You can also mute individual tracks. Change the volume or sound via default Factorio "speaker" on each track. Inspired by fruity loops/DAWS and physical synthesizers. My hope is with the new expansion they add more control and functionality over the "speaker" component so you can dynamically change sounds/volume/pitch with circuits etc etc... I'd love to have a dynamic/rng beat being generated based on factory statistics.
beattorio.jpg
beattorio.jpg (286.95 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Here is a short video demoing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkWZC4KUxc&t

BP: https://factoriobin.com/post/wTg7Kpb_

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Beatorio! A Music Sequencer drum machine synth

Post by mmmPI »

That's funny, it look like the one i did , like colors and way it works and all x) viewtopic.php?f=193&t=112834

You can already change sound using circuits to generate dynamic beat based on factory statistics !

I hope those possibilities will be extended too !
Last edited by mmmPI on Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

I just saw your post! I was about to reply to it!

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

You can change the speaker sound/pitch based on an input value??? really??? how??? I made this BP back in 2023 I have to revisit it now hahahhaha

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:23 am
You can change the speaker sound/pitch based on an input value??? really??? how??? I made this BP back in 2023 I have to revisit it now hahahhaha
You can tick the box " signal value as pitch" and it chooses the note based on its ID, with the first one being 1.

I couldn't find one such things when i searched for it , i'm glad to see it on factorioprints now :)

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:29 am
Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:23 am
You can tick the box " signal value as pitch" and it chooses the note based on its ID, with the first one being 1.

I couldn't find one such things when i searched for it , i'm glad to see it on factorioprints now :)
Ah right... the pitch can be changed but can the actual sound be changed with a signal?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Not sure what you mean ? You can't change the instrument, only the note with vanilla speakers.

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:17 am
That's funny, it look like theone i did , like colors and way it works and all x) viewtopic.php?f=193&t=112834

You can already change sound using circuits to generate dynamic beat based on factory statistics !

I hope those possibilities will be extended too !
After looking at your posts I wanted to ask you a question. My biggest hurdle was getting the sequence to loop seamlessly...let me try to explain hopefully. Based on Factorio "ticks" I was counting up from 1 to 16 or 0 to 15 and then resetting the count, to assign the position of where the beat is currently at. However when the number sequence looped back around from the end position(lets say 16) to 0 or 1 it was always a millisecond off and sounded incorrect. If I remember correctly there was always a split millisecond with a null or empty value after the reset, that would mess up the seamless loop.

I tried so many mathematical solutions to try and get it to "wrap" smoothly, it never worked. The only way I got it to work was just to have it "count up" infinitely and just add that value to the current "position". So in a way its not looping programmatically per say its just counting up and dynamically changing the number of each position.....until...I guess Factorio runs out of integers? ....Hope that made sense
Last edited by Tayday on Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:49 am
Not sure what you mean ? You can't change the instrument, only the note with vanilla speakers.
Yea that's what I mean, I hope one day you can change the instrument, or even volume.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:57 am
However when the number sequence looped back around from the end position(lets say 16) to 0 or 1 it was always a millisecond off and sounded incorrect. I tried so many mathematical solutions to try and get it to "wrap" smoothly, it never worked. The only way I got it to work was just to have it "count up" infinitely and just add that value to the current "position". So in a way its not looping programmatically per say its just counting up and dynamically changing the number of each position.....until...I guess Factorio runs out of integers? ....Hope that made sense
It may have to do with the time taken by the combinators to do the operation, it takes 1 ticks so if you have a different chain of operation occuring when reseting, it may happen that it introduces a delay of 1 tick and depending on the music played, it can be heard :)
Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:59 am
Yea that's what I mean, I hope one day you can change the instrument, or even volume.
There is this mod which allows to do so :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/musical-speaker-fixed
But it's a little more complicated to use than vanilla speakers because you can also control "for how long the sound is playing", it introduces a new speaker

Tayday
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tayday »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:20 am
Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:57 am
However when the number sequence looped back around from the end position(lets say 16) to 0 or 1 it was always a millisecond off and sounded incorrect. I tried so many mathematical solutions to try and get it to "wrap" smoothly, it never worked. The only way I got it to work was just to have it "count up" infinitely and just add that value to the current "position". So in a way its not looping programmatically per say its just counting up and dynamically changing the number of each position.....until...I guess Factorio runs out of integers? ....Hope that made sense
It may have to do with the time taken by the combinators to do the operation, it takes 1 ticks so if you have a different chain of operation occuring when reseting, it may happen that it introduces a delay of 1 tick and depending on the music played, it can be heard :)
Tayday wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:59 am
There is this mod which allows to do so :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/musical-speaker-fixed
But it's a little more complicated to use than vanilla speakers because you can also control "for how long the sound is playing", it introduces a new speaker

That makes sense, you're limited by ticks and the count "reset" requires a tick.....THANKS! :D

Thanks I'll check out this plugin! 8-)

Return to “Combinator Creations”