Basic Auto Assembler Setup

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
Matiamo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Basic Auto Assembler Setup

Post by Matiamo »

I'm going to be 100% honest, not even sure how this works, I just fiddled with it for a few hours, and well... Yeah, pics.
If anyone can explain how the top two fixed it getting stuck, I would appreciate it.

Factorioprints

Basic Layout 1
Settings
Note mods used:
Last edited by Matiamo on Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Basic Auto Assembler Setup

Post by mmmPI »

Matiamo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:39 am
If anyone can explain how the top two fixed it getting stuck, I would appreciate it.
What is the meaning of that sentence ? x)

Do you mean your setup works and you don't know why ?
Or it doesn't work and you don't know why ?

In the case it doesn't work, it will be nice to know what it would do if it was working :D

( also maybe link the mod you used for inserters )

Matiamo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Matiamo »

Sorry about the missing Bob's inserters mod, there's an add-on to unlock it from the start otherwise it needs a bit of research. As to clarifying, I have very little idea how it works and would enjoy any pointers that might make it better or more compact.

It does work, out of the box paste it down, and put the items you want crafted into the constant combinator with the intermediaries. I would advise putting the intermediaries at a higher number than the end recipee. Otherwise, it likes to lock down and craft nothing. Also, feed the basic resources to it but that's a given.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

no problem i'm trying to gather all the info before i start diving into it and i realize i also need the name of the mod you used for the loader x)

I think i recognize the AAI one, but the receipe might differ.

I don't understand the role of the crafting combinator, if the material are coming from belts they are always gonna be the same materials, hence why the need for changing receipe ? is it even possible to make something different out of the materials that are given to the assembly ?

I know of setups for crafting combinators and assembly, but i'm not sure what you are trying to achieve and which one would be appropriate given the situation.

Is the problem (only) that sometimes the assembly get stuck not crafting ?

Matiamo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Matiamo »

That is the biggest problem the crafter will sometimes get stuck until fixed. The goal is an all-in-one mall that will craft or request the craft if other bits or bobs are needed. I've already obsoleted the included blueprint for bot/requester setups. I've thought about the train car option for supplies as well. So to be clear, the end goal is the smallest possible mall for anything requested via the constant combinators. Right now I'm working on getting it to request the components needed for the requested items automatically but have run into an issue in signal weight and have no clue how to change/affect it.

I've mostly posted this to share the blueprint for early start setups, for those types that want it to be fiddly/break often.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I'm sorry i can't make sense/ try to explain what i'm seeing as asked in your first post.

I still don't know what is the receipe used in the blueprint ( which other mod is necessary ? ).

If the ingredients are now coming from bots, it seem to me that the machine is only going to be used to craft finish products ? i don't understand the use of crafting combinator then.

( in the picture i can see gears being sent to the machines via belt, i suppose if you use robots for that purpose instead, there is little reason to then try and have the machine change receipe, or it should/would have produced the gears too no ? )

If that is not the case, then i think there should be a part in your general machine that "knows" the receipes, so that when you want a "loader" or have the machine try to keep a number of "loader" in a chest at all time, the machines "knows" it need to craft the gears required for the loader that will be the next item craft. (and how many ).

The machines should also "knows" then if the gears are supposed to be delivered by robots or not. That's part of a bigger design than what is shown here. In the case you need something that's made of blue circuits, should they be brought in via robots ? because otherwise you'd need fluid input for the general-purpose-crafting-machine , it also is the case for concrete used in substations or reactors. There's also things that can't be made into assembling machine, like batteries or plates requiring special attention ^^

I think it's a fun goal that i have seen many players attempting, but also a difficult one to attempt before the expansion gives some additionnal tools to deal with that matter.

Matiamo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Matiamo »

I am sorry for not being clear on the full mod-list I'll go compile all the mods used and be back to update the original post.
^Edit^

The crafting combinator has a couple of settings to read/write a recipe for a signal received. The purpose is to take any value 1+ so say I have 100 belts in the network and have a signal for 200 to be kept in stock, the arithmetic takes what it has * -1 and combines it into the network to tell it still needs to make 100 more. The decider filters out any value < 0 before passing it to the crafting combinator controlling the assembler. The last decider checks the Crafting set to read for an error signal and pulses everything forcing a reset when in an error state. (Does not always work yet need to find a better method.) The blueprint included is almost a demo/basic obsolete unit setup but still good for breaking it down.
^Edit 2^

After spending some time working on this, I've learned that this type of automation can be effective but it's slow and often requires manual adjustments, especially when implemented early in the tech tree. It's best suited for automating basic tasks like 2-3 intermediaries per station (such as gears). I've discovered that you can achieve this using just a single arithmetic combinator and 2 decider combinators with 2-3 crafting combinators, depending on your specific setup for each station. It's important to note that this approach requires bots, so it's most viable after reaching the chemical science stage. I plan to continue refining the process until I have a compact and automated blueprint for a basic bot mall with minimal tweaking. My ultimate goal now is to create a single-chunk mall, preferably in a 1x2 configuration.

Return to “Combinator Creations”